PDA

View Full Version : PS3 20GB gets price drop in Japan - HDMI added

LiquidX
09-22-06, 01:05 AM
That price drop is to 49,980YEN which is about $430. The 20GB version also gets HDMI so the only difference now is that extra space and wireless. I hope this is also for the US but so for the price drop has only been announced for Japan.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20060922_ps3_hdmi.html
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7476191&publicUserId=5519593

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 01:08 AM
If that's the case the PS3 is looking more and more attractive. If the HD is upgradeable and it hits US shores at this price then call me sold.

I might even start getting a little fanboy about it too, esp if it hits at that price.

Mr. Hunt
09-22-06, 01:10 AM
It would definitely be great if this was stateside also... but even still I am going to be getting the biggest one.

kev13dd
09-22-06, 01:28 AM
I wonder why it took them this long to announce added HDMI. I mean, they've been in production for a little bit already, so they must have had a small idea that they were going to add it

I think most game consoles are going for the surprises now. MS with it's 1080p that they denied then revealed, Sony with the HDMI and price drop, Wii with... I got nothing too surprising with Wii. Anyways, in some ways I enjoy it, in other ways not... oh well!

K

Mr_LoL
09-22-06, 01:47 AM
Things are starting to look up a bit now. The 20GB model has me interested.

evilchris
09-22-06, 01:53 AM
Things are starting to look up a bit now. The 20GB model has me interested.

20 should be plenty. I've had my 20GB X360 since launch and it's only half full. I've downloaded demos, videos, all kinds of **** and never deleted anything yet.

shungokusatsu
09-22-06, 02:14 AM
This is Japan ONLY, it's been confirmed, no price changes in the US.

SCEA just revealed to 1UP that the price drop in Japan is for that territory ONLY. The pricing structure in the U.S. has not changed.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153860

Bad_Boy
09-22-06, 02:52 AM
bummer that sucks. atleast both models get hdmi models now.

shungokusatsu
09-22-06, 03:03 AM
bummer that sucks. atleast both models get hdmi models now.
True, now people will be killing each other over 20GB models since 80% of shipments will be the 60GB.

Mr_LoL
09-22-06, 03:14 AM
I wonder why only Japan and not everywhere else. Damn you Sony.

kev13dd
09-22-06, 03:20 AM
I wonder why only Japan and not everywhere else. Damn you Sony.
X360 is cheaper in Japan, not to mention the fact they ONLY get the premium model. Sony has always had the Japanese market, and that looks slightly in jeopardy with the Wii. And what's the biggest advantage the Wii has on PS3? Price. Americans are idiots, they'll buy anything

K

msxyz
09-22-06, 03:28 AM
I wonder why only Japan and not everywhere else. Damn you Sony.Because announcing a price cut even before a product is out is clearly a sign of desperation. Obvioulsy, they did their math before announcing this; it's no coincidence that Japan will have only 100000 at launch. Such a small number allow Sony to formally launch their console at a competitive price without loosing too much money

It seems that Sony is fearing to loose Japan to the Wii. And with a lot of japanese software coming to the Xbox 360, they're starting to consider it a serious competitor too.

As for the inclusion of HDMI... well, I guess it's a good news although I consider this interface pretty useless as it will be always confined in the CE space; in the computer world there is already another standard looming and -unlike HDMI- it won't be burdened by royalties.

Edge
09-22-06, 05:24 AM
Interesting news, but odd to say the least. I'm quite happy to hear that HDMI might be included in all versions of the console in every territory however, it would make the 20GB PS3 model much more tempting. Still a hard to swallow price at $500, but at least you won't feel totally gimped if you pick it up for that and end up with an only half-way working Blu-ray player later (since it sounds like the image quality token could start to be used in movies at any time now).

shungokusatsu
09-22-06, 05:37 AM
Interesting news, but odd to say the least. I'm quite happy to hear that HDMI might be included in all versions of the console in every territory however, it would make the 20GB PS3 model much more tempting. Still a hard to swallow price at $500, but at least you won't feel totally gimped if you pick it up for that and end up with an only half-way working Blu-ray player later (since it sounds like the image quality token could start to be used in movies at any time now).
No worries, HDMI is confirmed for all territories.

Mr_LoL
09-22-06, 10:52 AM
The price cut is ridiculous screams this analyst.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19889

S.I.N
09-22-06, 11:58 AM
They must be paranoid scared of the Wii to do that. They could have priced it $600 and still sell millions with no problems especially in Japan.

Toss3
09-22-06, 12:01 PM
They must be paranoid scared of the Wii to do that. They could have priced it $600 and still sell millions with no problems especially in Japan.
I'm guessing they don't want to loose the Japanese market as msxyz suggested. But you're right, they could sell it for so much more and still they wouldn't have enough consoles, especially now at lauch. This SHOULD have been EUROPE ONLY, for letting us WAIT HALF A YEAR!!! Damn you SONY!! :o

Mr_LoL
09-22-06, 12:12 PM
Its quite funny though really. When the price was high the complained. when they cut the price they complain. If they give them away for free they will still complain.

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 12:26 PM
I dunno, if Sony turns around and says $450 for US price on this and it has HDMI CONSIDER ME SOLD.

That's Sony getting their head back on straight. I will buy one as soon as I can at that price. One thing though, exclusives. That's all I'm after really. The 360 is still what brought me back into gaming and I still think Live is superior.

But...if Sony can deliver at that price, they will be winning me over.

six_storm
09-22-06, 01:15 PM
Sounds like Sony is facing terms of reality with their pricing/packaging but I'll still be waiting a year or two for a price drop. I wouldn't mind grabbing one for a descent Blu-Ray player, that's if these new formats don't crash n burn.

msxyz
09-22-06, 01:23 PM
The PS3 "basic" model will be very hard to find. Only 20% of the total production run are PS3 with 20GB. Not to mention that the "discount" is applied in Japan only. This means a total of 20000 launch units will be subject to price reduction. How much Sony will "loose" ? 20.000 units x 10000 Yen of discount equals 200M Yen or, roughly, 1.7M dollars. Almost nothing for a company worth several billions.

On a second though, this move will provide to Sony great advertising at little expense.