PDA

View Full Version : ForceWare 96.33 doesn't recognize GeForce7900GT under Vista RC1

MacSlow
09-22-06, 05:44 AM
Greetings everybody!

I've tried to install the 96.33 ForeWare driver (32 bit) under Vista RC1 (german, build 5600, 32 bit) because the stock install of Vista did only recognize the graphics-card as simple "VgaSave". But running the installer aborts with the notice, that it could not find any compatible card to run this driver on. What options are open to me to get the driver-installer (or vista) to recognize the card properly?

I would say that the the involved hardware-components are fully functional as I run them at their full potential under Ubuntu Linux 6.06.1 with Nvidia's 1.0-8774 driver for Xorg.

The machine mainly looks like this:

AMD Athlon64 3700+
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
eVGA GeForce 7900GT

Thanks in advance for your kind advice!

Best regards...

MacSlow

MacSlow
09-26-06, 01:27 PM
With the newer Vista build, 5728, it does not work either.

Best regards...

MacSlow

NoWayDude
09-26-06, 05:21 PM
Try to Install the driver via control panel
It worked for me. It was not working via normal setup
(I'm using the x64 one by way)

MacSlow
09-27-06, 01:29 AM
No progress.

I tried the "device manager" (there this "Update Driver"-context-menu) on unrecognized devices (the one with this yellow warning-sign with the black exclamation-mark). BTW, the graphics-card does not show up in the list of devices at all. And yes, I'm logged in as user with administrative privileges.

I also tried the entry "system" via the "control panel" to somehow get to the graphics-card. No chance.

Then I tried to change it via the "display-settings", but the button "get driver details" is ghosted.

I wonder if some of the unrecognized PCI-bridge (there's one recognized one and four non-recognized ones) devices are the cause for the nvidia-driver installer not able to identify/find the 7900GT.

Best regards...

MacSlow

P.S.: Funny how times change. I've a much smoother and effort-less experience with Linux (using EdgyEft, beta of Ubuntu) than with Windows (beta of Vista) in a domain (graphic-card drivers) that has much more resources dedicated to it on the Windows-side. I would really like to know if this issue I have is within the responsibility of nvidia or microsoft.

grey_1
09-27-06, 07:23 AM
Hi macslow, give mobilenvidias modded inf a shot.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11179

Might be what the doctor ordered:)

EDIT: Should have mentioned grab the driver as well and if you can get it, build 5728 is much less problematic than 5600 for me. Good luck!

DarkJedi664
09-27-06, 03:17 PM
It worked by default on my PC with my 7900GT.

MacSlow
09-27-06, 04:18 PM
Hi macslow, give mobilenvidias modded inf a shot.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11179

Might be what the doctor ordered:)

EDIT: Should have mentioned grab the driver as well and if you can get it, build 5728 is much less problematic than 5600 for me. Good luck!

Unfortunately this also didn't help.

I'm also a bit surprised that the self-extracting archive is so small. There are only four files contained. I copied the seperately supplied nv_aw.inf in the directory created by the extraction of the archive. But the relevant sections of the two nv_av.inf files (old and new one) did not differ for the 7900GT (device ID 0291). I chose the "Have Disk"-path and after I selected the newly created directory with the new nv_av.inf copied over and hitting the "Ok"-button I was not presented with a list of possible card-models to select from in the following dialog-window *sigh*

Under Linux I know what log-files to search for to get additional hints about something failing. But under Windows, especially under Vista, I'm a full beginner. Does a stock Vista install come with any diagnostic-tools that don't try to "hide" anything form a user?

Best regards...

MacSlow

MacSlow
09-27-06, 04:26 PM
It worked by default on my PC with my 7900GT.

Hm... right now I'm wondering if there maybe some settings in my BIOS that prevent vista and/or the driver-installers to recognize my 7900GT. Or maybe some driver for the motherboard-chipset is missing. Right now I'm more wildly guessing than anything else. Doing anything with a logical approach sofar failed to help resolve the issue at hand :)

Best regards...

MacSlow

garikfox
09-27-06, 06:46 PM
Mine work perfectly, No SLI yet but ohh well, It still shows up as 512mb of total video mem.

Seems to me yer using x64 drivers for x32/x86. ?

Just in case heres what u need : ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/96.33/96.33_forceware_winvista_x86_international.exe