PDA

View Full Version : UT07 on PS3 will support PC mods

Marvel_us
09-22-06, 11:02 AM
Some good news.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10974

While Sweeney seemed to be disquieted by the complexity of developing for Cell, he did praise Sony elsewhere in his keynote for an "enlightened business model" when it comes to online PS3 capabilities - one that will apparently allow Epic's users to create Unreal Tournament 2007 levels and content on the PC, and distribute them via the PlayStation 3.

He notes that the mod community was "an essential part of [Epic's] success", and commented: "We would love to transfer this mod community over to the console platforms." Of course you'll need a PC to create levels for the upcoming UT2007 for PS3/PC, but Sweeney believes that everything will be in place so that modders can make new levels on the PC, "download them to the PlayStation 3, and distribute them online."

Banko
09-22-06, 11:47 AM
does this mean PS3 and PC players can play together?

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 12:22 PM
Probably...

stjuart
09-22-06, 01:48 PM
probably not, the pc would have to much of an advantage and the game would be unbalanced.

anticitizenzero
09-22-06, 01:58 PM
Watch the interview with him at e3, he says it can easily be setup so ps3 players can play with pc, but there not going to do it, based on the fact that a Mouse has a huge advantage over a controller.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 02:35 PM
Watch the interview with him at e3, he says it can easily be setup so ps3 players can play with pc, but there not going to do it, based on the fact that a Mouse has a huge advantage over a controller.

The PS3 will accept a Mouse and Keyboard through USB, This was stated since the PS2. It all depends on if the developer supports it, Sony does not stop them from implementing it.

t6_shadow
09-22-06, 02:41 PM
The PS3 will accept a Mouse and Keyboard through USB, This was stated since the PS2. It all depends on if the developer supports it, Sony does not stop them from implementing it.

Thank ****ing god. Controller + fps = retarded.

Walking away from that I wonder how much these pc mods will COST. Just because pc gamers can download them for free doesn't mean its the same for their console bretheren.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 02:44 PM
Thank ****ing god. Controller + fps = retarded.

Walking away from that I wonder if how much these pc mods will COST. Just because be gamers can download them for free doesn't mean its the same for their console bretheren.

Actually it is, Sonys network is setup so that developers have more control over their games through the network. So they don't need Sony's approval to make changes, they can do it directly without contacting Sony.

With Xbox Live all changes and updates must be given to MS and they will apply them to the software.

Also Sweeny stated that the "MODS" are user created mods (they will also have official mods that cost money), basically he's saying that the PC and Console community will be the same thanks to how Sony setup their network. Now if this holds up after launch is the question... As of right now we can only take their word on it.

Athena
09-22-06, 02:58 PM
welcome to "patches" for console games. :(
I was bummed when MS when this route and I am not hgappy to see Sony join in on the fun.
Now we will be getting games faster just so they can "add value" later. like make it work right!!

Then again if they could have patched the control issues that shipped w/ Red Ninja I might have finished that game. As it is now it is much to hard.