PDA

View Full Version : PS3 demos to cost money.

Pages : [1] 2

slick
09-22-06, 03:57 PM
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=37312&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Many people were looking forward to Ken Kutaragi's keynote speech to fill in the many blanks, and with only 2 months to go until launch, give details. Unfortunately most of the speech was filled with technical details on GPS, GMS, shopping, banking, networking, and so forth. A few noteworthy things, demos will cost $1, you will be able to download 16bit games (MegaDrive Genesis, and PC Engine TurboGrafx) over the network, and share them with friends. During a short Q&A it was revelaed that the 20gig version will now also feature HDMI, and will receive a price reduction (from 535 to $430) in Japan, as a result of consumer complaints about the high price.

That free online service is looking less and less free. Nickle and dime Sony, nickle and dime. Word on the street is that they're also going to charge money (100 yen) at their demo Kiosks, arcade style.

ENU291
09-22-06, 04:06 PM
I heard about this... shame on you Sony! :nono: I doubt this will actually happen though.

S.I.N
09-22-06, 04:14 PM
Blame Microsoft and there microsanctions for stupid little pictures that should come on the disks of the games people buy. They started this mess.

russ_3d
09-22-06, 04:15 PM
woot! we are lucky enough now to pay for their advertising :(

PeterJensen
09-22-06, 04:15 PM
Blame Microsoft and there microsanctions for stupid little pictures that should come on the disks of the games people buy. They started this mess.

lol yea right.....no wait...

Quickstar
09-22-06, 04:27 PM
I download demos for free with my Xbox360. I don't even pay for Xbox Live. i have the "silver" edition.

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 04:30 PM

That's why half of the other gamer pictures I've had were free...and also .... demo's don't cost me anything.

I don't know how Microsoft "started" it with Sony charging for demo's yet MS doesn't.

S.I.N
09-22-06, 04:39 PM
That's why half of the other gamer pictures I've had were free...and also .... demo's don't cost me anything.

I don't know how Microsoft "started" it with Sony charging for demo's yet MS doesn't.

They started because they showed consumers are willing to pay for what should be logically free. Who would have thought a company could get away with selling avatars and background pictures and make good money off it? They got the ball rolling with there "microsanctions" which has proven to be profitable. And to tell the truth I would rather pay for a demo than those damn little pictures Microsoft is selling for $2 a pop.

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 04:48 PM
They started because they showed consumers are willing to pay for what should be logically free. Who would have thought a company could get away with selling avatars and background pictures and make good money off it? They got the ball rolling with there "microsanctions" which has proven to be profitable. And to tell the truth I would rather pay for a demo than those damn little pictures Microsoft is selling for $2 a pop.

Don't buy the pictures then, no one is forcing you to.

Also don't dl the demo's Sony offers either. Consumers will pay for pet rocks, the point is that they are though. Why don't you go email Microsoft support about it since you have such a beef about it?

Blame the guy who started pet rock though, not MS. If Sony charges for demo's and MS doesn't...then it takes a psychotic person to say MS "started it".

msxyz
09-22-06, 06:34 PM
Charging for a demo is stupid. A demo is supposed to be a sort of advertising mechanism, conceived to convince potential consumers to purchase a product.

This idea seems so outlandish that I've doubts whoever wrote that piece understood well.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 07:31 PM
Hmmm Talk about WP taking things out of context... Gamespot is reporting that it could be a possibility... not definite... just something that was mentioned...

Downloadable 16-bit games? MegaDrive (Genesis) and PC Engine (TurboGrafx)? Where have we heard that before? Kutaragi also talks about the possibility of paying 100 yen (about $1) for a small or time-limited game demo.

1up doesn't even make a mention of it... and IGN has something completly different... as in the cost for playing the demo woud be applied to retail kiosk... (imagine it being like an arcade, im guessing this would be exclusive to Japan).

Sony is considering having the retail kiosks used as arcade-style units, so people can pay 100 yen or so to play a game.

So before you all go bitching and flaming Sony, lets wait on an official confirmation on whats going on but I know you all wont since you love talking ****.

ENU291
09-22-06, 07:38 PM
So before you all go bitching and flaming Sony, lets wait on an official confirmation on whats going on but I know you all wont since you love talking ****.Why get frustrated over something like this? People are going to comment on the things they read on the net no matter what you might personally think or say. I understand that you are a Sony fan but getting so involved with trying to defend them just makes you an easy target.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 07:46 PM
Why get frustrated over something like this? People are going to comment on the things they read on the net no matter why you might personally think or say. I understand that you are a Sony fan but getting so involved with trying to defend them just makes you an easy target.

I don't care if Im an easy target (not my fault that I actually read more then a single site to get information about a topic) but people bash things because a single website reported it but every other major site says nothing of the sort yet they ignore that fact and take a single sites opinion...

There has really not been anything negative announced at TGS about the PS3 and tons of great information that would make any gamer happy yet someone always seems to find something negative about it (that someone is ususally bias against the console *cough*slick*cough*) even though its something that hasn't been proven...

ENU291
09-22-06, 08:07 PM
I don't care if Im an easy target (not my fault that I actually read more then a single site to get information about a topic) but people bash things because a single website reported it but every other major site says nothing of the sort yet they ignore that fact and take a single sites opinion...

There has really not been anything negative announced at TGS about the PS3 and tons of great information that would make any gamer happy yet someone always seems to find something negative about it (that someone is ususally bias against the console *cough*slick*cough*) even though its something that hasn't been proven...
If you see tons of great information then share it with us here. If only the negative info gets posted here then only negative comments against the PS3 (and Sony in general) will be found.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 08:11 PM
Im not a news hound, Im not suppose to post information for you or correct incorrect information that is being posted but seeing how everyone believes ANYTHING that is posted it does gets kinda annoying.

Marvel_us
09-22-06, 08:24 PM
Actually this is a japan exclusive thing. Arcades are way bigger over there than here. I read the play by play of the conference last night and remember them saying that.

evilchris
09-22-06, 10:55 PM

I'd rather pay for neither and dload free demos. Oh wait I do that already.

S.I.N
09-22-06, 11:15 PM
This is not just about paying for a demo. So yeah, keep denying Microsoft didnt set a bad trend. Your games are going to get shorter and shorter while you pay out the ass for extra maps, guns, horse armor and other crap that should have been in the game in the first place.

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 11:17 PM
This is not just about paying for a demo. So yeah, keep denying Microsoft didnt set a bad trend. Your games are going to get shorter and shorter while you pay out the ass for extra maps, guns, horse armor and other crap that should have been in the game in the first place.

Condemned, Prey, Kameo, PD0, hmm...they aren't charging for extra stuff.

That and those games were plenty long. Oh wait you're talking about ONE 360 game, that also does the same for the PC version...

I suppose kids starving in Somalia is a trend set by MS too right?

Bad_Boy
09-23-06, 12:58 AM
false alarm folks.
This is what happens when you translate and liveblog on the fly... :p

Zelda_fan
09-23-06, 01:03 AM

What are you talking about? Microsoft gives out ALL demos for FREE. You mean those pictures and backgrounds they sell for like $1? LOL So people actually pay attention to those things? Most of the stuff they charge for are worthless things no one would even buy anyway, but the important stuff (demos), they give for free.

Mr_LoL
09-23-06, 01:16 AM
They might as well have charged for an online service if this turns out to be true.

Mr. Hunt
09-23-06, 02:38 AM
They might as well have charged for an online service if this turns out to be true.

Not really... it would take 50 demos to even get to the price of Xbox Live gold for one year... and hey... what do you know... you can now play games FOR 0 FEES.

msxyz
09-23-06, 02:51 AM
I prefer Microsoft approach: instant access to the Marketplace and the demos without paying anything and, if I'm interested in gaming online, I pay only once some money to give me access to all the servers of all the games through a common interface.

I've a silver account (free) and with it I was able to try a dozen of demos some of them convinced me to buy a game. If I had to pay probably I wouldn't have downloaded them in the first place.

Marvel_us
09-23-06, 09:50 AM
false alarm folks.
This is what happens when you translate and liveblog on the fly... :p

So it's confirmed that the $1 demo thing is BS?

I honestly don't see any other gaming sites talking about it so I don't know why people are going on about this.