PDA

View Full Version : 3 New Gears of War Screens

Pages : [1] 2

Marvel_us
09-22-06, 09:34 PM
And now I bring you.......GEARS OF WAR:rw:

Is it just me or does the back of the main characters head keep looking better and better.(bandana):)

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8026/42210nm6.jpg
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/3867/42206hu3.jpg
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2651/42209nw9.jpg

Could use some more AA but the textures, models and enviroments look so good.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 09:38 PM
Second shot looks amazing!

NaitoSan
09-22-06, 09:40 PM
I just pre-ordered collector's edition of this game. :) It looks amazing.

Marvel_us
09-22-06, 10:25 PM
it looks amazing... but will gameplay be amazing too?

Good question, I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about it being playable at TGS. It's due out in like 2 months. Even though X06 is next week, it would be nice to give TGS goers some action.

Banko
09-22-06, 10:38 PM
Am I the only that thinks that looks like crap? Low-res textures on the characters, and everything is blurry too. I don't see what is so good about this game.

|MaguS|
09-22-06, 10:41 PM
You seriously need to get your eyes checked... NOTHING IS BLURRY in those shots.... seriously... everything is nice and sharp.

ENU291
09-22-06, 10:41 PM
Am I the only that thinks that looks like crap? Low-res textures on the characters, and everything is blurry too. I don't see what is so good about this game.
I think you're the only one....

oldsk00l
09-22-06, 11:17 PM

Yeah uh, you pretty much are...the only one.

This is a fantastic looking game, I agree that some of it could use some AA...but if you're questioning the texture quality I really have to question your lucidity right now.

brady
09-23-06, 12:30 AM
Could use some more AA but the textures, models and enviroments look so good.

I thought I read that GoW won't use any AA at all...Can anyone confirm this?

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 12:34 AM
I thought I read that GoW won't use any AA at all...Can anyone confirm this?

From what I gather it's an engine issue. Check the GoW forums, I can't seem to locate it atm.

Supposedly they're utilizing stuff like bloom, motion blur, DoF to help.

ew2x4
09-23-06, 12:39 AM
I think this game would look amazing with some depth of field blur. It's biggest flaw is that it looks too sharp and crisp. I'd muddle it up a bit. Especially with this type of gritty game.

Nv40
09-23-06, 01:13 AM
While the graphics averall are quite nice ,one of the best looking games ,its not yet close to something really impressive. at least in graphics. It looks a bit too shiny and too dark for me. and the textures doesnt look to be of high quality ,like some kind of unsaturated color palette,more noticeable in the first screenshot ,perhaps its could be the compression artifacts in the pics?

I know killzone was CG but if you look at my character avatar ,it shows the way lighting should look in games. SOft but not shiny. DMC4 screeneys looks more closer to Killzone CG..

take a look at how DMC4 characters looks.. if you want to compare..

steamedrice
09-23-06, 02:37 AM
im with the above poster, theres something about the lighting in this game that kills it for me. marines shooting this blinding gunfire effect out their gun as bright as the sun and yet the environment around them is still dark and gritty as heck. that same gunfire flash is on their armor as well and partly throughout the black environment. its like they don't give off light at all?

PeterJensen
09-23-06, 03:30 AM
nice looking game. But again nv40 enters the thread and ****s it up.

msxyz
09-23-06, 04:00 AM
Good question, I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about it being playable at TGS. It's due out in like 2 months. Even though X06 is next week, it would be nice to give TGS goers some action.
It was shown to a selected audience behind closed doors.

Knot3D
09-23-06, 05:55 AM
While the graphics averall are quite nice ,one of the best looking games ,its not yet close to something really impressive. at least in graphics. It looks a bit too shiny and too dark for me. and the textures doesnt look to be of high quality ,like some kind of unsaturated color palette,more noticeable in the first screenshot ,perhaps its could be the compression artifacts in the pics?

I know killzone was CG but if you look at my character avatar ,it shows the way lighting should look in games. SOft but not shiny. DMC4 screeneys looks more closer to Killzone CG..

What you mean, is that you only like a particular visual style. Killzone 2's cg vid has global illumination. Yeah, that makes for alot of diffuse shadows and 'materials'.

GoW however, uses strong normal mapping + specular highlighting. Indeed, it's a contrasting style to the former style described. True GI is still to intensive for realtime games, so alot of devs use baked to texture method ; which have the disadvantage of the particular part being 'static'.

That DMC4 screen, just looks technically a step less impressive.

russ_3d
09-23-06, 05:58 AM
i cant believe some of you are cussing epic for their textures :eek2:

they are one of the developers that actually paint their models like i would paint a warhammer minature or something - they are truly works of art..

|MaguS|
09-23-06, 07:50 AM

Stop being such a tool, its call art direction. They want the lighting to look over the top.

Marvel_us
09-23-06, 10:30 AM

I disagree. DMC4 character models don't come close to the Killzone CG crap. Graphically the best features IMO of DMC4 is the highly detailed environment and lighting. All of which don't add up to Killzone. Funny, I can't find Killzone 2 info anywhere at TGS?!:rolleyes:

As for the AA, MSAA is a weakness in UE3 engine. I think Gears uses the art direction and other techniques to mask it.

About the shooting effects. Eh, it's a gun, the blast only last for like a second. They try to capture the blasts at their peak in screenshots so the pic doesn't look dead. That's something that you'd want to see in motion.

Mr_LoL
09-23-06, 10:46 AM
I have every confidence that this game will look and play well. Epic have a good track record. This will be the 360's first big killer ap.

russ_3d
09-23-06, 10:54 AM
and also, the armour looks more like a high-tech plasteel setup, if not its definitely brushed/scarred.
it looks like its supposed to be muted. im sure they could make it like stainless steel if they wanted

brady
09-23-06, 12:16 PM
I'm really lost on this. Does anyone have anymore info on the AA issue? I am simply shocked if it is true that the UE3 engine has some sort of technical problem with AA. I can't wrap my mind around how that kind of an issue could have popped up.

|MaguS|
09-23-06, 12:24 PM
I'm really lost on this. Does anyone have anymore info on the AA issue? I am simply shocked if it is true that the UE3 engine has some sort of technical problem with AA. I can't wrap my mind around how that kind of an issue could have popped up.

I don't think its true, probably a technical problem with this game because I have seen tons of UE3 demos and Games that have great AA applied to them.

stjuart
09-23-06, 02:03 PM
Its called, making the game run at 30fps or make it run at 15 so they chose gameplay being fluid over pure eye candy. again i think people believe that these conosles are super computers. As powerfull as they are they have been nutered from there pc roots, meaning much less ram and or sharing that small amount of ram, the console companys have to cut costs somewhere and this is how it will effect future games, nothing is free you gain one feature and you loose another, especially for consoles.

|MaguS|
09-23-06, 03:10 PM
Its called, making the game run at 30fps or make it run at 15 so they chose gameplay being fluid over pure eye candy. again i think people believe that these conosles are super computers. As powerfull as they are they have been nutered from there pc roots, meaning much less ram and or sharing that small amount of ram, the console companys have to cut costs somewhere and this is how it will effect future games, nothing is free you gain one feature and you loose another, especially for consoles.

You should learn alittle about console development before opening your mouth. Console games are not as limited by RAM as PC games are, not by a long shot.

Look at God of War or Final Fantasy XII for the PS2, the system has 4MB (32Mb of sytem ram) of texture ram yet the games look amazing, heck play Virtua Fighter 4 or Tekken 5, those two rival any fighting game on the Xbox.