PDA

View Full Version : Reason to not buy a 360 now?

Pages : [1] 2

sirplayalot
09-22-06, 11:58 PM
I really want to buy an Xbox 360 now because some really great looking games are comming out / have came out already (Saints Row, Dead Rising). Is there any reason to wait? Will it be dropping in price soon because of the PS3 and Wii launches? Also, how is MS with their warrenties? I've seen some pretty good package deals go for cheap on the internet (anandtech, hardforum) and im considering it.

S.I.N
09-23-06, 12:11 AM
Reason to not buy a 360 now?

1-There all dying so there extending the warranties.
2-Bundles might be coming for the holidays.
3-PS3 is coming.

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 12:14 AM
No price drop in the immediate future. They are keeping it the same in spite of PS3.

Reason not to buy it...hmm...kay.... there's only one that comes to mind and that's if you don't have the $400 to spare.

The great titles...also considering that HL2, HL2:ep1, ep2, and portal will go for sale on the same disc is a nifty bundle.

Prey, GRAW, Kameo, PGR3, we've all been through this before... look at some of the other threads.

It's basically a non-decision. If you have the means, you should just go get one. imho it's a better deal than PS3, if PS3's premium version was the same price as a 360 I'd still go for the 360.

The XB Live marketplace is also very cool. There's no knocking 360 in its value. It's a badass system that gets you gaming on the high end for the cheap.

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 12:15 AM
3-PS3 is coming.

Funny when that happened to PS2 and PS1's, I don't recall Sony extending any warranties...you were just screwed...

That and people are getting their systems fixed or replaced. No console has a spotless record on launch.

LurkerLito
09-23-06, 01:06 AM
Reasons to not get it:

If you want to see what the other consoles will offer and can only buy one console, then it's probably a better idea for you to wait. According to MS there will be no shortages of 360s this holiday season so you can get one anytime.

If you have more games on another console you want to buy than the 360 then wait for that one. Regardless of what anybody says, if you have 4 games on console A you like, but 8 games on console B, get console B. You'll be happier with a console that has more of the games you like to play.

Other than that I recommend getting them all ;).

|MaguS|
09-23-06, 07:47 AM
Funny when that happened to PS2 and PS1's, I don't recall Sony extending any warranties...you were just screwed...

That and people are getting their systems fixed or replaced. No console has a spotless record on launch.

But the failure rate were never near as high as it is with the X360.

msxyz
09-23-06, 08:18 AM
At any rate, Xbox manufacturerd aftet january 06 seems to work fine in the majority of cases.

I was one of the unfortunate people who had its launch console die after a couple of months, but I've nothing but praises for Microsoft support. In one week I had mine replaced through express courirer directly to my home.

Reasons for not to buy the Xbox 360? Well, that's a different matter. Cost, above all. 400$ for a console is quite a lot particulary if you are not an avid gamer. Then, there's the heat and noise. The current model is being replaced next spring when CPU and GPU will be manufactured in a 0.65u process. Hopefully the console will be quieter, cheaper and will produce less heat as well.

saturnotaku
09-23-06, 08:40 AM

That hardly matters when the consoles are being serviced/replaced promptly and efficiently. Maybe for the week you don't have the system you could say, read a book, go outside and shoot hoops, or knit a sweater.

Mr. Hunt
09-23-06, 09:03 AM
There is msxyz and saturnotaku right on time.

saturnotaku
09-23-06, 09:16 AM
Damn straight.

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 11:27 AM

That's arguable actually. But in any case MS was very good about promptly repairing or replacing consoles with no hassle to the customer with what's available. Besides...everybody I know in "real life" that has purchased one has not had one fail. That and the later revision consoles mfg'd in '06 are pretty solid.

If Sony does a price drop though, I recommend buying both. PS3's going to be a great system too, if the price is right.

Marvel_us
09-23-06, 11:52 AM
I say just buy the damn thing if you want it. He knows the PS3 is coming out but it seems to me like he just wants an Xbox360.

If you have the cash and can't wait, just go ahead and buy it.

Only reason I see for waiting is maybe a game bundle that may come for the holiday season.

marqmajere
09-23-06, 02:56 PM
I say just buy the damn thing if you want it. He knows the PS3 is coming out but it seems to me like he just wants an Xbox360.

If you have the cash and can't wait, just go ahead and buy it.

Only reason I see for waiting is maybe a game bundle that may come for the holiday season.

Exactly. I'd love to go out and buy a 360 right now, but I know I'll be kicking myself in a couple of months when the xmas bundles and offers start to surface. It's going to be a hard couple of months. :)

evilchris
09-23-06, 03:59 PM
3-PS3 is coming.

How is "PS3 is coming" a reason to NOT buy a 360?

"They're all dying".

LOL!

Good lord.

evilchris
09-23-06, 04:00 PM

Please link your source of failure rates, with actual numbers not just **** you made up or "heard".

GlowStick
09-23-06, 04:25 PM
The main reason not to buy a 360 is how ****ing loud it is. So much that at night me and my dormmates turn on eachothers 360's (wirelessly) to wake them up as a pratical joke.

S.I.N
09-23-06, 04:39 PM
Please link your source of failure rates, with actual numbers not just **** you made up or "heard".

Just check every forum where they have console discussions. 8 here alone. IGN says 20 out of the 200 or so units they have has died. This "we will repair any console made before 1-1-06" is a undercover mass recall if anything and shows the failure rate is very high if they have to do that.

Arioch
09-23-06, 07:47 PM
Don't buy one if you don't like good games. There are a lot of good games to play on the 360 right now. In the last month I played Dead Rising, Saint's Row, and Test Drive Unlimited. I think as long as you got a 360 that was built after the initial launch batch you should be ok.

jeffmd
09-23-06, 09:29 PM
Honestly, if dead rising and saints row get your juices flowing, your taste for gaming sucks anyways. Your buying the same crap thats been out for years now, with only a SLIGHTLY prettier face. Am I knocking the 360? not at all, only that these games suck all and people are actually brainwashed into thinking they are good. I swear if I see another wigger wannabe simulator, I'm gonna start busting some caps in some asses myself.

Peoples-Agent
09-23-06, 10:00 PM
Honestly, if dead rising and saints row get your juices flowing, your taste for gaming sucks anyways. Your buying the same crap thats been out for years now, with only a SLIGHTLY prettier face. Am I knocking the 360? not at all, only that these games suck all and people are actually brainwashed into thinking they are good. I swear if I see another wigger wannabe simulator, I'm gonna start busting some caps in some asses myself.

Huh , am I missing something here... there has NEVER been a game anything like Dead Rising... EVER.

Arioch
09-23-06, 10:20 PM

I am not big on gangsta-style gaming but I picked up Saint's Row after reading how good the gameplay was and enjoyed it. As for Dead Rising, I am having a hard time figuring out what game its supposed to be like. Nothing wrong with my taste for gaming - I think your opinion about these games is in the minority but that's your opinion I guess.

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 10:49 PM
Just check every forum where they have console discussions. 8 here alone. IGN says 20 out of the 200 or so units they have has died. This "we will repair any console made before 1-1-06" is a undercover mass recall if anything and shows the failure rate is very high if they have to do that.

Then MS is doing the moral thing in correcting this.

In any case, 2006 revisions are not having anywhere near the same failure rates. Again, everyone I know that has purchased a 2006 version (or got theirs replaced with one from '06) has had a rock solid system with no problems.

Except as Glow mentioned, the noise, but it depends on your preference. Mine is plenty quiet enough for me.

oldsk00l
09-23-06, 10:49 PM
dupe post. agh

evilchris
09-24-06, 02:26 AM

WTF is FarCry, Quake 4, FEAR, and every other PC FPS then? It's the same old **** too. No game is original anymore.

Apollo 13
09-24-06, 02:34 AM
I hate Fanboys...because they don't like to hear the truth. Xbox fanboys are the worse of the bunch.