PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft released Vista RC1 build 5728 to public

Pages : [1] 2 3

AthlonXP1800
09-23-06, 01:47 AM
Here the download page for RC1 build 5728.

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download-5728.htm

Edit: Here other site I found from Neowin forum below, I now changed from torrent to download it from Microsoft's fastest server. Now at 56%, 40 mins left at 480KB. :D

http://vista5728.no-ip.info/

rewt
09-23-06, 05:29 AM
Thanks. I downloaded it from MS server also. Went at 350KB/s the whole time (it's very early in the morning where I am, so speed is best). Burning now..

Thanks for second link too. It has the checksum for the iso. I always like to validate that before I install it.

AthlonXP1800
09-23-06, 05:36 AM
I got it installed now on Virtual PC 2004 and browsed Internet, everything seem fine. :)

rewt
09-23-06, 05:39 AM
I think I will install it to my F: drive.

I heard Virtual PC runs it much slower than normal.

AthlonXP1800
09-23-06, 06:03 AM
I think I will install it to my F: drive.

I heard Virtual PC runs it much slower than normal.

Yes it much slower on Virtual PC, I will install Vista on new 400GB Samsung hard drive next week or 2 and use it as dual boot. :D

grey_1
09-23-06, 06:37 AM
Thanks, getting 568k/s from MS - not bad.

rewt
09-23-06, 06:45 AM
I wish this had SLI support. As long as it doesn't, Vista will not be a good gaming platform for me. I don't even know why I keep installing it..

My next setup will have one DirectX 10 card, not two.

grey_1
09-23-06, 07:53 AM
I wish this had SLI support. As long as it doesn't, Vista will not be a good gaming platform for me. I don't even know why I keep installing it..

My next setup will have one DirectX 10 card, not two.
It's getting down to the wire for oem release, so hopefully nvidia's next driver release will support it. Right now even a single 7800gt in vista doesn't compare to a single in xp for me.

AthlonXP1800
09-23-06, 03:03 PM
Hours ago I decided to used Partition Manager to spare 25GB on the other hard drive to use for Vista, after installed it, I was blew away when I logged in from the log in screen, the screen fade away and desktop fade appeared with Aero glass window. :D

Everything looked great but now I am not very sure how good Vista is when free memory gone down to alarmed dangerous low 3MB out of 3GB and suddenly Internet Explorer pages are very slowed loaded and crawled when scrolled down the pages. I just had 1 Internet Explorer window opened with 3 tabbed pages, downloading F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point Demo and the task manager on the desktop and also 5 programs ran in the background: Download Accelerator Plus, BBC News Alert, Windows Live Messenger, Live Messenger Plus and Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security. When the download game demo completed, the free memory went back up to 494MB but suddenly went down to 0MB when I launched F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point Demo setup, it failed to run for no reason, probably due to no memory left.

I am very surprised Vista are monster memory resource hogs than I thought. If things not go very well then I will try 64bit Vista version that should give me full 4GB RAM. Should I be concern about very low memory in 32bit Vista?

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/7171/memoryht2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rewt
09-23-06, 04:59 PM
ATM, I don't feel safe installing any third party apps on Vista. It's just too unstable. Only thing feels safe is Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 to work on my NVTray program (Even though it is not extremely useful for Vista right now, since NVIDIA has yet to put out a driver where AA/AF/Quality/SLI controls work).

And to think Microsoft labeled this thing RC1.. lol. In Linux land (i.e. Suse Linux), RC1 would be a very stable and useful product.

Microsoft gets carried away sometimes..

jAkUp
09-23-06, 06:47 PM
Yea, as far as stability goes, RC1 is pretty rock solid for me, but the performance is not nearly as good as XP. Might be due to drivers though.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 06:39 AM
http://download.windowsvista.com/dl/preview/rc1/en/x86/iso/vista_5728.16387.060917-1430_x86fre_client-lrmcfre_en_dvd.iso

I'm hearing that it should be faster then RC1 5600. Downloading now.

grey_1
09-24-06, 06:49 AM
http://download.windowsvista.com/dl/preview/rc1/en/x86/iso/vista_5728.16387.060917-1430_x86fre_client-lrmcfre_en_dvd.iso

I'm hearing that it should be faster then RC1 5600. Downloading now.
It is for me. So far this build is solid for me. Windows media center was unusable for me in 5600, that's fixed and I haven't had any crashes at all yet. 5600 crashed all over for me, but that may have been due to creative drivers. I haven't installed those yet.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 07:00 AM
"This build is the fastest build so far, and leaves 5600 trailing in a cloud of dust. I upgraded from the extracted ISO file from a folder on the desktop. No DVD required"

This version is getting good reviews all over the board.

grey_1
09-24-06, 07:26 AM
heh, just finished the FEARXP demo and it was playable all the way through! I thought sure I would have a slide show in the blood room, but no:) .

Only thing I can't find is the fearxp.cfg to change my display to 1920x1200. I ran the demo at 16x12, 2xAA 4xaniso, vol. lights and shadows off.

If they keep shaping this OS up like this they have a winner.

EDIT: installed creative betas 2_10_0000. Got several IDvr related errors, but all my sound seems to be working properly. fearxp demo sounds great!

PeterJenson dead on. This is worlds ahead of 5600.

K007
09-24-06, 09:51 AM
no sli support..meaning gx2 wont work..so untill nvidia get some proper drivers out you cant do much..i dont think u can blame micrsoft for the sli issue rather point it at nvidia for not releasing proper solid drivers like we have for xp...it seems they are just holding back on it..so we might have to wait till full retail version of vista to be out before nvidia gives out proper drivers...

grey_1
09-24-06, 10:07 AM
no sli support..meaning gx2 wont work..so untill nvidia get some proper drivers out you cant do much..i dont think u can blame micrsoft for the sli issue rather point it at nvidia for not releasing proper solid drivers like we have for xp...it seems they are just holding back on it..so we might have to wait till full retail version of vista to be out before nvidia gives out proper drivers...

Oh, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. This is all still in development, so I don't expect much, which is why I commented the way I did, sorry if it sounded like a blame thing.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. FEARxp and now playing CoJ demo no problems. Not everything is maxed of course, but still plenty playable. Under build 5600 I had trouble playing anything.

j0j081
09-24-06, 10:23 AM
hmm was about to install rc1 but guess I should download the newer build first.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 10:28 AM

I think we will se new nvidia drivers in Oktober with the Vista RTM release.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 12:31 PM
uhhh i'm really liking this. Very nice build.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 12:34 PM
OMG! OMG! If you have a video open and use the new alt-tab feature the video keeps playing when you scrool the windows (nana2) (nana2)
This is pure p0rn, very nice.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 12:35 PM
Thats WindowsKey+TAB :)

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 01:12 PM
Ok, after 4 hours in Vista, i had to boot to XP. Just to copy some files. And OMG i'm stying in Vista for now. Vista is just more nice. It has a better feel. It hase nice features and is fast. I'm NOT going back to XP as of NOW!

grey_1
09-24-06, 01:13 PM
I think we will se new nvidia drivers in Oktober with the Vista RTM release.
I'm hoping your right. I can't get fraps to install, but I know my frames are decent in that both games so far play smoothly at decent settings.

OS wise in general, I'll be hopefully snagging ultimate as soon as it's released. Loving it so far.

PeterJensen
09-24-06, 01:47 PM
I'm hoping your right. I can't get fraps to install, but I know my frames are decent in that both games so far play smoothly at decent settings.

OS wise in general, I'll be hopefully snagging ultimate as soon as it's released. Loving it so far.

Yea i'm loving it too. This new build feels so smooth and nice. They maybe need to cut the ram usage a bit down but other then that the OS feels rock solid.
I'm going Vista as primary now.