PDA

View Full Version : How to get GX2 to show load balancing bars

FearMeAll
09-23-06, 02:07 PM
I sold one of my 7950gx2's to a friend of mine and now I have no options to show load balancing bars. Thsi makes it very difficult to diagnose sli problems now as I can't see when the bars are maxxed out. People have said nhancer lets you show the bars but I don't see an option for it anywhere and nvidia seems to want people to know a gx2 is just 2 cards in sli on one slot. What do i have to do to get load balancing bars on a gx2.

rewt
09-23-06, 02:20 PM
My latest beta release of NVTray can show GPU temps in-game of SLI'd GPUs. Mind you, I have not personally tested the 7950 with it, but if it has a diode for each GPU it might work.

Showing GPU temps can be useful. If an application is making good use of SLI, GPU temps should rise about the same, to within a few degrees of each other.

rewt
09-23-06, 02:27 PM
Oh, I did manage to find the option in nHancer for you. Whether it works on just one GX2 I do not know.

It is on the SLI tab on the right hand side, and says "SLI Load Balancing Graph". Put a check in the checkbox and set radiobutton to On.

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 02:45 PM
NVtray rocks and I get load balancing with my 7950 GX2 now. Use it ;)

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 02:48 PM
My latest beta release of NVTray can show GPU temps in-game of SLI'd GPUs. Mind you, I have not personally tested the 7950 with it, but if it has a diode for each GPU it might work.

Showing GPU temps can be useful. If an application is making good use of SLI, GPU temps should rise about the same, to within a few degrees of each other.

Hey rewt.. it says NVtweak is bundled into the latest NVtray? I had to download both NVtray and NVtweak to get the coolbits stuff enabled... where in NVtray is nvtweak? great work btw I love nvtray!!!

rewt
09-23-06, 02:52 PM
Hi fatal1ty, thanks for the kind words :)

You can double-click on the NVTray icon in your system tray to open up NVTweak. Preferences for NVTweak, NVTray, and On Screen Display (beta version) are all under the Settings menu in NVTweak.

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 02:54 PM
Hi fatal1ty, thanks for the kind words :)

You can double-click on the NVTray icon in your system tray to open up NVTweak. Preferences for NVTweak, NVTray, and On Screen Display (beta version) are all under the Settings menu in NVTweak.

hahaha nicely done! I would not have thought to try that. I was looking through the settings and in the install dir to see if the exe was there. Again, nice work I'm now a huge fan of NVtray!

For the 7950 GX2 (1 of them) - should the SLI mode be set to Single or AFR? Also, when you enable show load balancing bars and reboot the check mark is removed - that right?

rewt
09-23-06, 03:03 PM
hahaha nicely done! I would not have thought to try that. I was looking through the settings and in the install dir to see if the exe was there. Again, nice work I'm now a huge fan of NVtray!

hehe. Yes originally it was NVTray built into NVTweak. Now it's the opposite ;)

When you run NVTray for the first time the tray icon is supposed to pop up a balloon saying "Double-click this icon at any time to open NVTweak". But I guess it's not as easily noticable as I thought. :o

rewt
09-23-06, 03:08 PM
For the 7950 GX2 (1 of them) - should the SLI mode be set to Single or AFR?

This would really depend on the application or game. Different games may need different SLI modes to work best. I can say however, that AFR (or AFR2) is most commonly used SLI Mode.

Also, when you enable show load balancing bars and reboot the check mark is removed - that right?

I'm not sure, but I think it is supposed to stay checked. But, if the NVIDIA Display Driver Service is stopped the setting will probably be forgotten. You can use the "Query Service" option in NVTweak to make sure NVIDIA service is up and running, and set to Automatic.

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 03:10 PM
This would really depend on the application or game. Different games may need different SLI modes to work best. I can say however, that AFR (or AFR2) is most commonly used SLI Mode.

But with a single 7950 GX2 there really isnt SLI that the system sees though, correct? It happens in the background. Im not using 2 x cards, just 1 7950 GX2.

rewt
09-23-06, 03:20 PM
Well I always thought 7950 was actually two cards in SLI. After all, they do call two 7950 GX2s in SLi "Quad-SLI".

rewt
09-23-06, 03:26 PM
Well I rebooted and the box seemed to stay checked for me. The options may just work differently with the GX2. NVTray can let you enable/disable the setting, but it is really up to the NVIDIA driver to manage it.

NVTray does need some updates on SLI detection method though. I currently use registry to detect if SLI is enabled, but sometimes the SLI Modes menu says SLI is disabled even though it isn't. Are you having this problem?

In next version I will use the NVIDIA programming interface to detect whether SLI is enabled or not. This should be a more reliable method.

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 03:34 PM
Well I rebooted and the box seemed to stay checked for me. The options may just work differently with the GX2. NVTray can let you enable/disable the setting, but it is really up to the NVIDIA driver to manage it.

NVTray does need some updates on SLI detection method though. I currently use registry to detect if SLI is enabled, but sometimes the SLI Modes menu says SLI is disabled even though it isn't. Are you having this problem?

In next version I will use NVIDIA programming interface to detect on whether SLI is enabled or not. This should be a more reliable method.

Well with a single 7950 GX2 it never shows that SLI is enabled or available. I think the profiles just handle the method of SLI but it's transparent to the rest of the OS to be honest. This has been the single most confusing issue with the card for me. I cannot find anything that actually says anything about SLI - just the profiles show render method of AFR.

rewt
09-23-06, 03:42 PM
I would think other SLI modes would work too. Otherwise what happens if a game required SFR mode for best speed? Or what about SLI-Antialiasing? These should be selectable in NV control panel once you enable Coolbits.

FearMeAll
09-23-06, 03:46 PM
NVtray rocks and I get load balancing with my 7950 GX2 now. Use it ;)
I don't where in the menu do you get that with a gx2?

rewt
09-23-06, 03:56 PM
Hardware > Multi-GPU Applet

Any luck?

fatal1ty
09-23-06, 04:42 PM
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1264/capture92320063465920pmfd6.jpg

FearMeAll
09-23-06, 04:45 PM
Hardware > Multi-GPU Applet

Any luck?
ah yes it worked. Finally. was baout to pull my hair out. thank you very much.

K007
09-24-06, 09:54 AM
for the rendering options i suggest u leave it as it is..the profiles that come with the driver are usually upto date with the latest game so unless you have problems leave it on its default..

as for load balance bars..i think its about dam time nvidia make it a default thing...it seems we have to go backdoor/behind nvidia to do this..which seems rather silly