PDA

View Full Version : Computer doesn't recognize second video card

woolfe99
09-23-06, 03:47 PM
I got a second PNY Geforce 7600 GS today for SLI. My mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI. I switched the SLI module from normal to SLI as explained in the mainboard manual, installed the card, and installed the SLI bridge between the two cards. However, I cannot get the OS to recognize the second card. It just shows one 7600 GS. I've tried de-installing and re-installing the nvidia drivers. No luck. Went into the Nvidia CP and tried to set it for SLI. It gives me no feedback. Frame rates have no improved in games.

I tried swapping the new card into the PCE-1 slot occupied by the original card. New card works fine in that slot, so nothing wrong with it.

Someone suggested that you need a beefy PS for SLI, but my PS is 550w. I doubt that's the issue.

I checked the BIOS. There is nothing in there that apparently pertains to SLI, unless it is described in some way I do not understand.

I of course checked to make sure that both cards and everything are seated properly.

Any suggestions?

- woolfe

ATOJAR
09-23-06, 05:26 PM
Do you have the SLi bridge the correct way round? i dont have SLi but ive heard if the bridge is not the correct way round the cards wont work properly!..

woolfe99
09-23-06, 05:32 PM
I put in on in the direction shown in the diagram in the motherboard manual. I'll try swapping it the other way. Who knows?

- woolfe

ChiBChombo
09-23-06, 05:53 PM
I always wondered, does the "Sli" option appears grayed out if you don't have sli? or you just can't check it?

woolfe99
09-25-06, 07:14 PM
FYI, the problem turned out to be the BIOS. I bought this board last June, and it was one of the first SLI boards released. Apparently, Gigabyte's initial SLI boards had old BIOSes that did not support SLI. It's incredibly lame. Anyway, if anyone else encounters this problem, check the date on your BIOS. If it's before middle 2005, you will need to flash it.

- woolfe