PDA

View Full Version : 10K Hard Drive

Bearclaw
09-23-06, 07:38 PM
I foudn this one for relatively cheap and I was wondering what Ultra-320 / SCSI / 80-Pin meant. How would I hook it up inside then? Is it still SATA and hooks up like that or what?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1755840&CatId=2346

jAkUp
09-23-06, 07:41 PM
Its a SCSI connection. Don't even waste your time. You will need a SCSI card, it would be best to stick to SATA.

|MaguS|
09-23-06, 07:41 PM
Um SCSI is mainly server based, you would need a PCI addon card to connect the hard drive. Its nothing like SATA, its alot like ATA133 but with a fatter cable.

Bearclaw
09-23-06, 07:46 PM
I thought so, ok. Screw that then, haha. Thanks guys.

jolle
09-24-06, 02:12 AM
I think SCSI is about to be replaced with SAS, which is SATA compatible (If I remember right)..
But the drives in that segment arent made with the homeconsumers "needs" in mind, so they are usually loud and run hot, which doesnt matter much when they are in a cooled serverroom where noone can hear them scream..

rflair
09-24-06, 10:21 AM
Um SCSI is mainly server based, you would need a PCI addon card to connect the hard drive. Its nothing like SATA, its alot like ATA133 but with a fatter cable.

Actually SATA would be more like SCSI. IDE is nothing like SCSI.

I use to run a SCSI system in my front end PC and it was very nice, lower CPU overhead, daisy chain drives, very reliable RAID setup. SATA took many of the good features of SCSI and the one great feature of IDE, price.

The nicest feature of SATA for me are the thin cables, I like that.

Bearclaw
09-24-06, 12:40 PM
Ya, well, I have been looking for a 10K drive for sometime now and I saw that deal but didn't know so I asked. I'm glad I did before I bought it. :o