PDA

View Full Version : Asus A8N-SLI Premium Network Issue

bradleyjere
09-23-06, 10:09 PM
I have had this motherboard in my computer working for about 10 months now. When I first installed it there were a few devices that I could not find the drivers for, but they were not critical as I did not need them. They were the SCSI and RAID drivers. Anyway, I just did a Microsoft update and it found and downloaded the missing drivers. After they were installed my internet began to freak out. If I am downloading off a newsgroup or torrent server, after a minute or so the internet connection dies. I have to go to my Network Connections and disable my connection, then enable it again in order to get my connection back. Also, Windows is now complaining that I don't have a firewall. I tried to disable all the SCSI and RAID drivers but that made no difference. If anyone could throw out a suggestion I would appreciate it.

System:
Opteron 165
Windows XP Pro SP2 (with all current updates)
If you want to know more please ask and I'll post that too!

Thanks!

walterman
09-24-06, 06:52 AM
Are you using nvidia firewall ? I had huge problems when i tried it. All downloads corrupted & lots of disconnections. Maybe that's your problem.

rflair
09-24-06, 08:13 AM
Your motherboard has multiple NIC's built in? Try another one, on board NIC's sometimes fail. Nvidia also had a problem with their own name branded NIC's failing on NF3 boards and many board manufacturers dropped them for NF4 but not all did.

bradleyjere
09-24-06, 12:47 PM
I am not using NV Firewall. I installed it when I first put the MB in and I got rid of it soon after. The only firewall running is the windows firewall and I even disabled that without any change in these symptoms. I don't believe that the ports have gone bad. Like I said, this only happened after I did an update that added new drivers to seemingly unrelated components. I think that would be to much of a coincidence. I don't disagree that trying a plugin NIC would be an interesting test though. It would eliminate firewall and other software issues from my list of possible problems.