PDA

View Full Version : EA-NHL 07 vsync ON to run? Again?

Pages : [1] 2

fatal1ty
09-24-06, 03:23 AM
Is EA really this stupid?

They did it last year and again this year...

In order to run the game you need to have Vsync enabled which just kills framerate. If it's not on you dont get the menu to come up.

Funny thing is I can run it with my X1900XTX without vsync and it's fine, so this is an Nvidia only issue.

Anyone find a work around for this?

rewt
09-24-06, 09:38 AM
Might be an SLI-only issue. Have you checked the driver to see if it has a profile for this game?

fatal1ty
09-24-06, 12:32 PM
No profile in 91.47. I created one but performance is very poor even without AA or AF enabled - like only 1 card is rendering - I tried the different methods but nothing helped. Still needs Vsync enabled which kills performance without triple buffering. Also, I hate using vsync.

fatal1ty
09-24-06, 12:46 PM
Well 92.91 fixed the slow performance in NHL 07, however I dont get SLI bars so I'm assuming it's just one card working. Also, you still need vsync enabled to see the main manu and be able to start a game.

OWA
09-24-06, 06:42 PM
Good to see you've come back to Nvidia.. I'm surprised you lasted so long with the XTX so put that XTX out of it's misery...

Edit: BTW, how do you get the 7950 to show the load balancer with a single 7950?

fatal1ty
09-24-06, 06:52 PM
haha - hey OWA. I've never really been gone, still lurking about to keep up with the NV side. But the 7950 kicks the pants off the XTX - the XTX is done and gone now ;)

Wonder if you saw my post about Aquamark 3? I get 117,000 with 91.47, 91.48 - 92.91 I get about 70 FPS. Something in the sets is screwy...

NHL07 is smooth with 92.91, choppy with 91.47 but either way u need vsync on to get the menu to load (just like we went through with NHL 06 last year).

Use NVtray, Hardware, Multi-GPU applet and turn it on...seems to need to be enabled after a reboot, but it's still sweet to see the load balancing in games.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1264/capture92320063465920pmfd6.jpg

OWA
09-24-06, 07:16 PM
Use NVtray, Hardware, Multi-GPU applet and turn it on...seems to need to be enabled after a reboot, but it's still sweet to see the load balancing in games.

Thanks for the info. When I briefly had just a single 7950 I couldn't get the load balancer working so that's why I was asking. It was frustrating since it seemed like it should be just like regular SLI.

agentkay
09-24-06, 09:56 PM
Sorry this is off-topic, but is NHL07 a decent improvement compared to NHL06 and worth the pricetag? I was highly disappointed with Tiger Woods 07 because it actually sucks when I compare it with the 06 version.

fatal1ty
09-24-06, 10:45 PM
Sorry this is off-topic, but is NHL07 a decent improvement compared to NHL06 and worth the pricetag? I was highly disappointed with Tiger Woods 07 because it actually sucks when I compare it with the 06 version.

I don't know, I'm too annoyed with it to really sit down and play it. It doesnt seem much different.

nekrosoft13
09-25-06, 07:45 AM
Good to see you've come back to Nvidia.. I'm surprised you lasted so long with the XTX so put that XTX out of it's misery...

Edit: BTW, how do you get the 7950 to show the load balancer with a single 7950?

you can also use nHancer 2.0 beta 9, and enable load balancer.

nHancer is much more useful, then nvtray, as it gives you better access to profiles. but it still meses up prey profile.

alfredog1976
09-30-06, 06:58 PM
Thanks fatal1ty...Not sure what was going on when menu didn't come up...then I tried NHL 06 with the same no menu problem. I was able to duplicate the SLI profile of NHL 06 using Nhancer, and used that for NHL 07, disabling Vsync. Fixed the problem and I had no performance issues (using nvidia driver 91.47) Thanks again!

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 12:12 AM
Thanks fatal1ty...Not sure what was going on when menu didn't come up...then I tried NHL 06 with the same no menu problem. I was able to duplicate the SLI profile of NHL 06 using Nhancer, and used that for NHL 07, disabling Vsync. Fixed the problem and I had no performance issues (using nvidia driver 91.47) Thanks again!

I just did the same. stuck waiting for the menu which never loads without vsync on.

SLippe
10-02-06, 01:12 AM
My performance is good in NHL07, but yeah, VSync thing is back! Stupid EA.

As for the improvements over 06, well, some, but not much. Only thing I miss really are the trick moves in 06 and the stupid "cut across in front of the goalie from the side and score every time" is back. This was a bad deal in 05 and they seemed to had fixed it in 06, but now it's back in 07. As for the price tag, I dunno, it is $29.97 at Wal-Mart here, but that's not where I got it. (pirate)

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 12:03 PM
I dunno, it is $29.97 at Wal-Mart here, but that's not where I got it. (pirate)

hahahaha!
My buddy copied NHL 05 and was pissed about it cause he thought it was terrible, so he posted on the EA forums...

"I want a 15 cent refund from EA, this game isn't worth the blank CDs I burned it on!"

He got banned; I about died laughing. Sometimes he's an idiot.

fattykoo
10-02-06, 05:38 PM
my game runs pretty smooth at 1024x768 details at max and with 4x AA 16x AF, but there's an occasional stutter that i can't seem to pinpoint the cause for. defragging the drive seemed to help, also using dxtweaker to enable triple buffering seems to help too (http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_10.html).

if anyone tries dxtweaker can you let me know if you have the same problem of not being able to start a game from the tray icon?

jabloomf1230
10-03-06, 01:30 PM
After saying some real nasty (but true) things about EA's awful effort on Madden NFL 07, I have to say it is worth getting NHL 07. Why?, because it's only $29 +/- and you can download it directly from EA. If you run it as a download, you don't need to fiddle with a DVD/CD every time you want to run it. Also, Arenacenter.net and other websites have really fallen behind on providing updated rosters for NHL 06. I made my own with NHLView (the roster editor), but then I said, "What the heck, I might as well just shell out the cash for 07".

BTW, can you turn VSync off with NHL 07 (nHancer or nvTweak) ? I know you couldn't with NHL 06, because it locked up at the menu screen.

fatal1ty
10-03-06, 02:15 PM
After saying some real nasty (but true) things about EA's awful effort on Madden NFL 07, I have to say it is worth getting NHL 07. Why?, because it's only $29 +/- and you can download it directly from EA. If you run it as a download, you don't need to fiddle with a DVD/CD every time you want to run it. Also, Arenacenter.net and other websites have really fallen behind on providing updated rosters for NHL 06. I made my own with NHLView (the roster editor), but then I said, "What the heck, I might as well just shell out the cash for 07".

BTW, can you turn VSync off with NHL 07 (nHancer or nvTweak) ? I know you couldn't with NHL 06, because it locked up at the menu screen.

Haha no, thats what this whole post was about ;)

You need Vsync on or the menu never comes up! 07-suckage!

jabloomf1230
10-03-06, 09:16 PM

Haha no, thats what this whole post was about

You need Vsync on or the menu never comes up! 07-suckage!

From alfredog1976's quote above, it sound like he disabled Vsync for NHL 07 and it worked. My bad. Also, at least on my 7950 GX2, I can't enable the load balancing bar for any game unless I can disable Vsync.

jabloomf1230
10-03-06, 11:55 PM
Anyone happen to know what all those cfg files are for in the main NHL 07 folder, like sgsm4.cfg:

DeviceWidth 1600
DeviceHeight 1200
BackBufferFormat PC_X8R8G8B8
DepthBufferFormat PC_DBTYPE_DEPTHSTENCIL_32BIT
EnableVsync true
Windowed false

SLippe
10-04-06, 02:07 AM
Anyone happen to know what all those cfg files are for in the main NHL 07 folder, like sgsm4.cfg:

DeviceWidth 1600
DeviceHeight 1200
BackBufferFormat PC_X8R8G8B8
DepthBufferFormat PC_DBTYPE_DEPTHSTENCIL_32BIT
EnableVsync true
Windowed false
Negative. But I wonder what happens if you change EnableVsynce to false?

EDIT: I can't tell it did anything, with or without VSync in CP. Funny thing is, that you can minimize the game and turn VSync off in the NV CP and the game plays fine, including the menus during and after the game. So VSync only has to be on for the initial Menu to display correctly?! Stupid. I have to have VSync on anyways with my LCD @ 60Hz.

fatal1ty
10-04-06, 12:31 PM
Negative. But I wonder what happens if you change EnableVsynce to false?

EDIT: I can't tell it did anything, with or without VSync in CP. Funny thing is, that you can minimize the game and turn VSync off in the NV CP and the game plays fine, including the menus during and after the game. So VSync only has to be on for the initial Menu to display correctly?! Stupid. I have to have VSync on anyways with my LCD @ 60Hz.

haha, that is comical. I'll try that - sounds like a good fix for now.

SLippe
10-04-06, 12:39 PM
haha, that is comical. I'll try that - sounds like a good fix for now.
Yeah, it's dumb isn't it? And yes, I could tell VSync was off because of the tearing I had. Again, you can start the game and once actually playing a game, minimize and turn off VSync in the NV CP. Now, that being said, I didn't go all the way back to the main menu, but all the menus worked that I saw (was playing a Season).

jabloomf1230
10-05-06, 05:53 PM
Someone claims that altering the cfg files actually does something (maybe not to Vsync). Here's a link:

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=1178543&sls=2#1178543

Maybe you could tell if Vsync was really off, by running Fraps and seeing if the fps increased. I sure can't tell and I don't see any tearing after I changed the Vsync option in sgsm4.cfg (I'm running 1600 X 1200).

EDIT: Maybe it's more complicated than just changing the Vsync setting in the one cfg file, since when I did it and used Fraps, the frame rate was still limited to 60 fps, the same as my monitor refresh rate.

Kaguya
10-22-06, 08:30 PM
Someone claims that altering the cfg files actually does something (maybe not to Vsync). Here's a link:

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=1178543&sls=2#1178543

Maybe you could tell if Vsync was really off, by running Fraps and seeing if the fps increased. I sure can't tell and I don't see any tearing after I changed the Vsync option in sgsm4.cfg (I'm running 1600 X 1200).

EDIT: Maybe it's more complicated than just changing the Vsync setting in the one cfg file, since when I did it and used Fraps, the frame rate was still limited to 60 fps, the same as my monitor refresh rate.

Were you able to get widescreen? I edited ALL the .cfg files to 1680x1050 and I still get whatever the original resolution was.

nekrosoft13
10-22-06, 08:53 PM
is it so hard to understand, EA Sports games don't support widescreen