PDA

View Full Version : All my problems with 7950 gx2 are solved thanks to NVtray..

bidav
09-24-06, 11:05 AM
After weeks of headache, different drivers, formats and different utils..

all I needed to do is to install the latest beta of NVtray..applying the multi GPU settings there with SLI loading balance bars.

after I did that, EVERYTHING works great..aquamark, 3dmark05, 3dmark06, all games...

I am happy now:)

btw drivers are 91.47...

Thank you whomever created this great app:)

rewt
09-24-06, 12:22 PM
Thank you whomever created this great app:)

That'd be me ;) And you are most welcome! :)

Just a FYI (for those who don't like beta testing for whatever reasons). The stable release (1.0.4.8) will allow you to enable the load balancing bars on GX2 as well :)

The beta release is for OSD testing purposes, for things like showing framerate, temperatures, and clock speeds in-game. The OSD system is still in development, so that is why I labeled it beta.

Xion X2
09-24-06, 01:14 PM
Nice goin, rewt! I always use NvTray, so yes, thank you for creating this program.

There have been a lot of guys reporting problems w/ their GX2's, but I never had a problem with performance when I had mine. I wonder if it was due to me using nvtray while they used coolbits?

Great little program.. simple and gets the job done.

bidav
09-24-06, 01:25 PM
Thank you rewt!

so the latest version can be always found in the link that is in your signature?

I had A LOT of issues with the card..because some benchmarking programs/games weren't using both gpus...for some reason after i enabled the multi GPU option and loading bars everything started working SMOOTH...

180k on aquamark (before nvtweak 140k)
17k on 3dmark05 (before nvtweak 10.5k)
9.8k on 3dmark06 (before nvtweak 8.2k)

so i'm really happy now.

btw how can i enable the loading bars auto on startup?

thanks again:)

Xion X2
09-24-06, 03:18 PM
bidav--those are some pretty good scores. What speed is your 6600 running at?

bidav
09-24-06, 05:14 PM
hey.
the 6600 is at 3240 (9*360).
7950 gx2 at 600/750...

FearMeAll
09-24-06, 05:27 PM
yeah worked great for me too. great program. If it wasn't for 3rd party developers creating driver software we would be in a world of hurt when configuring drivers. I have yet to use a display driver's control panel when adjusting settings, always too cumbersome and made in such a way so it is difficult to mess with settings a graphics card company doesn't want you touching.

lostlilchild66
09-24-06, 10:45 PM
Ok so, I recently got one of those cards and have no issues (all I play is World of Warcraft), but one thing I can't do is dual-client the game anymore... as soon as I try to open a 2nd client, it's incredibly messed up (graphically), and if I close it, my PC locks up like 10 seconds later. Perhaps I might need this program to help me? I'll find out alittle more about it on my own aswell, I love utilities that make things work ^_^

Hmmm, and now that I think of it, I actually haven't benchmarked the card since I've installed it. Currently overlocked to 550/725 (it's an eVGA, dont really wanna try for much higher). Hmm, perhaps I'm suffering from a similar issue, I'll be sure to take her through a few test runs of 3Dmark later today and see what's happening.

mike2h
09-25-06, 01:53 AM
thx for your work rewt. i showed my appreciation.

ironmysox
09-25-06, 01:39 PM
I have recently bought the EVGA 7950GXT and after reading this thread I have instantly downloaded and installed NVTray and it's excellent . .
Now with this card, I have MultiGpu enabled but what SLi settings do I need to use? At the mo it is configured for SingleGPU rendering?

fatal1ty
09-25-06, 02:31 PM
I have recently bought the EVGA 7950GXT and after reading this thread I have instantly downloaded and installed NVTray and it's excellent . .
Now with this card, I have MultiGpu enabled but what SLi settings do I need to use? At the mo it is configured for SingleGPU rendering?

Ahhh...
I had some time last night to play... and with a single 7950 GX2... the winner is.......

IT DOESN'T MATTER! HAHA - it seems to only affect / change if you are using SLI (dual 7950's or 2 x cards). One 7950 GX2 isn't seen as a multi GPU to windows so from Auto to AFR to Split Frame I didnt get a single change in performance in a Far Cry or Quake 4 (d3d and ogl). So what it means is that its only a relevent setting if you are using true SLI, not a single 7950 GX2. The SLI with the 7950 happens transparently before it hits the PCI-e bus. Make sure it's set for multi GPU mode, otherwise nothing else with SLI settings matter.

F

bidav
09-25-06, 02:41 PM
yup,
just make it's set to Multi GPU + the balance loading bars (just for fun).

My SLI settings are on AUTO...as fatal1ty here said it doesn't matter..

just keep it on Multi GPU enabled and you'll be fine.

btw best results for me were with 91.47 drivers.

FearMeAll
09-26-06, 02:26 PM
ah it's just sli. I can go into nhancer and make a game run off one wafer of a card in single mode and get half the performance just like it is in sli. (tried it in tomb raider editing it's sli profile) This is nothing special. This is just 2 mobile 7900gtx's stuck together with ducktape and made to run in sli. Nvidia wants to market it as a single card so that is why there is so much fuss to get the drivers to let you tweak sli settings. It takes 3rd party programs to uncover the nasty truth of what is really going on. there are a ton of sli profiles and things you can edit using nhancer and nvtweak. they are just hidden so all of you can think it is something somehow different from sli. Damn you nvidia marketing.

FearMeAll
09-26-06, 02:30 PM
Ahhh...
I had some time last night to play... and with a single 7950 GX2... the winner is.......

IT DOESN'T MATTER! HAHA - it seems to only affect / change if you are using SLI (dual 7950's or 2 x cards). One 7950 GX2 isn't seen as a multi GPU to windows so from Auto to AFR to Split Frame I didnt get a single change in performance in a Far Cry or Quake 4 (d3d and ogl). So what it means is that its only a relevent setting if you are using true SLI, not a single 7950 GX2. The SLI with the 7950 happens transparently before it hits the PCI-e bus. Make sure it's set for multi GPU mode, otherwise nothing else with SLI settings matter.

F
wrong. Edit it's individual sli profile in nhancer. I swear you will see a change. Applying global settings only works in games that don't have sli profiles already. Windows sees it as sli I swear to you.