PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV Researching . . .

Pages : [1] 2

six_storm
09-25-06, 11:12 AM
Hello all. I've been looking around for a really nice upgrade from my 27" Samsung Tube TV to a 32" LCD and get into the world of HD. I currently use my Dell 2005FPW for XBOX 360 and DVD viewing but I would like to get a bigger LCD (than a 20") for my living room. Also, I will not be purchasing a TV until Christmas time, due to money income and Christmas sales! Here is the criteria I'm looking for:

Main Usage will be DVD viewing and XBOX 360, no computer input will be used.
Price Range - $1500-$1600 max (tax and everything included)
32" LCD
Built In TV Tuner for OTA HD channels (I don't have cable, I'm a college kid!)
Good Warranty (Longer than just 1 or 2 years hopefully)
Something I can buy in a local store

A 32" LCD would be a good size and fits my price range. However, I'm not sure on what brand I should buy. Here are a few I was looking at:

Westinghouse 37" W3 - $1,299.99

Yes, I know this isn't a 32" LCD but hey, why not give it a good look? Westinghouse was looking really good until I started looking at them in the stores (32W6). The 37" (W3) 1080P model looks great but it lacks a built-in OTA tuner. I think it would be cool to have a 1080P set (looking 3-5 years down the road) but I dunno if I want a TV without a TV Tuner.

Samung - Price See Below
Out of all the 32" Samsungs out there, the S3251D model really gains attention. Not only is it gorgeous to look at but the picture quality is amazing. This is the TV I'd really prefer over any other but it is the most expensive.

Here's another dilemma. I can either pay MSRP in store or buy it from NewEgg for $1,199.99!!!!!! WTF! However, I only get the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I need longer than just 1 year.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4xC7w8qPYc3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=305LNS3251

Sony - $1,399.99
As much as I don't want to support the big-headed corp, I have to admit that they have a nice LCD for a descent price. Not a bad picture too!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4xC7w8qPYc3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=158KLVS32

Dell - $1,299.99
I've owned my 2005FPW for almost a year and have been very very happy with it. I figured that I would be just as happy with their LCDs as well. Dell currently has a new revision of their 32" LCD for 1,299.99. I've talked with toxineedle on the forums and he says he is happy with his 32". Also for a side note, Dell has some refurbished 37" LCDs for the same price! Something to consider?

Ok, so these were the few TVs that I've narrowed it down to. As long as I can spend less than $150 or $1600 on everything, I'll be very happy. If anyone has any of these TVs, please comment on them. Any suggestions or comments will help. Thanks guys!

"NVNews High Football RULES!" (Hope you all got that one) :D

DiscipleDOC
09-25-06, 11:27 AM
You and me both. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, because I am interested in the same thing.

Question for you, six: What type of hardware are you using in order to run your Xbox through your monitor?

DataMatrix
09-25-06, 11:30 AM
I would say Sony or Samsung, both make awesome displays. You should consider their maximum resolution (1080i/1080p, i = interlaced/p = progressive, p is the best), response time, contrast ratio, and ts/outputs. Those are the major benefactors in selecting any HDTV.

six_storm
09-25-06, 11:30 AM
Well I've heard that the 360 works better via VGA than component cables (better colors and such). I'm sure I'll try both ways just to experiment and see which is the better way to go.

DataMatrix
09-25-06, 11:34 AM
I would have to say component, and disagree with the VGA option, although I've never tried a 360 on either. Though I have tried a PS2 on component, quality was excellent.

mullet
09-25-06, 11:48 AM
I thought about this one for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889107008
ViewSonic N3251w Black 32" 16:9 8ms LCD HDTV = $769.99

karkrash81
09-25-06, 12:02 PM
Vizio may be a brand you could look into...I have a 42" Vizio LCD...vizio is a new company and has already broken into the top ten LCD sellers...

http://www.vizioce.com/products/

While not the perfect LCD tv, the price is excellent and the picture quality is good. Sams and Costco usually carry them so check one out...

I play my 360 on the 42" and love it...

I also have a 32" for my bedroom...

Negatives for the sets are:
Black levels aren't the best (but I've never seen an LCD that had black levels to my liking)
Shiny frame around screen could possibly be distracting on the 42" (there's 2 42" models)
VGA input uses a strange audio input...not the normal red/white plugs...

six_storm
09-25-06, 12:02 PM
I thought about this one for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889107008
ViewSonic N3251w Black 32" 16:9 8ms LCD HDTV = $769.99

Looks like CNET gave it a 6.3 out of 10 . . . not a great score there, but not a bad price either.

karkrash81
09-25-06, 12:05 PM
I've found that CNET usually doesn't give that high a rating to LCD tv's, unless you go for the very expensive ones...

www.avsforums.com is a good sight to read up on tv's and user issues/problems/reviews

six_storm
09-25-06, 12:09 PM
I've found that CNET usually doesn't give that high a rating to LCD tv's, unless you go for the very expensive ones...

www.avsforums.com is a good sight to read up on tv's and user issues/problems/reviews

Yeah, I've been roaming around AVS for a few months. If you keep reading around there, it seems like most LCDs are good and all have their problems.

I also forgot to mention a Sharp Aquos 32" for $1,299.99. These are good looking TVs as well. I'm actually going to Electronic Express and Best Buy after classes today to check them out again and I'll let you guys know what I though about em.

DiscipleDOC
09-25-06, 12:10 PM
Six_storm:

Question for you, six: What type of hardware are you using in order to run your Xbox through your monitor?

Edit: Oops! nevermind! I see that the monitor has the a/v inputs.

karkrash81
09-25-06, 12:12 PM
the only prob with avsforums is there are some real real real picky folks there...so, unless you are a real videophile some of their complaints about various sets might not matter to you...they definately get into much more than me

EDIT: from my experience, sharp aquos lcd tv's have always had the best picture quality, usually at a higher price point

nemecb
09-25-06, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I've been roaming around AVS for a few months. If you keep reading around there, it seems like most LCDs are good and all have their problems.
That's about what I saw when i was looking at them a couple of months ago. I bought mine from Best Buy locally because I wanted to see it in comparison to others first, and I ended up going with the Westinghouse because it was several hundred dollars cheaper and although the Samsung/Sony/Panasonic/etc. sets looked really nice, they weren't enough better to justify it IMHO. Then again I'm stuck mostly watching SDTV on mine because my stupid cable company doesn't have the equipment to support HD, so it didn't really matter that much in my case.:(
the only prob with avsforums is there are some real real real picky folks there...so, unless you are a real videophile some of their complaints about various sets might not matter to you...they definately get into much more than me
That's going to be a problem when you look at any AV equipment. I've found that a lot of times I can tell whether something is a legit problem or a *phile quibble by considering how hard you have to try to find it. If you have to be six inches away with a calibration instrument I don't worry about it.:)

FlashGordon
09-25-06, 12:54 PM
If you're going to Bestbuy, check out the Panasonic 32LX60, usually in the Magnolia section. I have the 32LX50 myself, and its a very good set. It should be in the price range you're looking at. It has a great picture in HD, especially ESPN HD. I would rate the picture quality just slightly behind Sony, but ahead of Sharp. Haven't been too impressed with the newer Aquos. Think Sony is a better benchmark for LCDs now.
Plenty of component inputs ( 2 in rear, 1 in front), but only 1 HDMI.
Good luck.

Tr1cK
09-25-06, 01:32 PM
FWIW, I got my LCD at Best Buy for $800 and bought a new Sony home-theater-in-a-box with the left over cash and I couldn't be happier. The TV looks great to me. The only issue I really have with it, everytime I cut it on, the sound defaults back to internal speakers and not my surround sound. It takes about 4 button presses on the remote to change it. :p

Westinghouse is a bit weird with all the different models of the same size TVs. I think some other 32s don't have the tuner, but mine does. The quality seems there though. I have had a couple Westinghouse PC LCDs and they all had a great picture as well.

nemecb, I have to agree with you on the other models not looking good enough to justify the massive price jump. Im also stuck with sdtv through Adelphia, but that will change on Sunday when Dishnetwork comes to install my HDTV receiver. :D

nemecb
09-25-06, 01:36 PM
Be careful too as Best Buy only had the 32w1 on display when I first went in there, but when I asked a sales guy they set up a 32w6 for me to look at too.

toxikneedle
09-25-06, 02:50 PM

EDIT: from my experience, sharp aquos lcd tv's have always had the best picture quality, usually at a higher price point
Yeah, when I roamed the LCD forum @ AVS it seemed that 95% of em had the Sony Bravias which cost 2 grand for a 32''... Virtually no one had the Dell LCD that I bought.... so it was very hard getting opinions on all the "other" LCDs, the HPs, Dells, etc....

karkrash81
09-25-06, 02:56 PM
yeah, i would love one of the new 1080p bravia's but i can't justify the cost...

i'm happy with my 42" vizio for 1499....

six_storm
09-25-06, 04:24 PM
Ok, so I went to Electronic Express, Circuit City and Best Buy this afternoon for a good look at the same LCDs. What pisses me off is that at Best Buy, all TVs are connected to one source via Coax cabling. And let me tell you, it is piss poor quality. Seriously, even the Sonys and Samsungs looked horrible.

When I went to Electronic Express and they really had it going on lol. They actually had them going off of DVD PLAYERS via COMPONENT. It's about time somebody had a real system together. Anyways, all of the LCDs looked great. The Sharp, Sony and Samsung models all looked the same in quality. They even had some sweet deals too.

Circuit City didn't have a whole lot of stuff really. All of their TVs were running Discovery HD and it looked pretty good on all the 32" LCDs. The Sharp they had on display however looked a bit fuzzy. Don't know if it was the TV itself or just a messed up model.

I guess what I found out today is that you can't go by what BB, CC or EE (LOL) has on display. You just can't. The best thing to do is to just go get one and try it out. If it fits your needs and expectations, then you are set. But remember, you can always take it back and get something else! :D

Tr1cK
09-25-06, 04:40 PM
I think go for the cheapest with the best picture you can live with.

Heinz68
09-25-06, 06:46 PM
I'm long time looking for LCD TV 32" Monitor, also to be used as PC display so
the main criteria is 1080p.
Did not see any 32" 1080p LCD yet.

Since 1080p is a must, my best option right now is the "Westinghouse LVM-37w3"
AVSForum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=655280&page=117&pp=30&highlight=LVM37w3) has about 3500 post long thread about the monitor, I did read every post. :)

My only problem, BestBuy the only retailer in Canada having the Westinghouse monitors is still selling only the older "LVM-37w1" version, otherwise I would buy the monitor right away, especially at comparable $1,299.99 US price.

I don't worry about the tuner, will buy HD TV card for the the PC, most likely the
"ATI Theater 650 PRO (http://www.ati.com/products/theater650pro/index.html)"

Also no TV tuner needed for cable or satellite boxes

crainger
09-25-06, 07:02 PM
This is the TV I have (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/tree/TV_GR_AU_CONSUMER/consumer__RS_SCREEN_SIZE__R_LARGE/product/37PF9731_69_AU_CONSUMER/catalog.jsp?language=en&country=AU&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=D3MT03PJDNRL1J0RMRCSHQVHKFSESI5P) supports 1080p.

The ambilights are a nice gimick. Look amazing with a visualisation on XBMC or the 360.

I'm not sure how much it isin the US. I picked it up at almost 50% off for $2600AUD and a huge clearing sale. Philips isn't the best, but I'm happy with the picture.

six_storm
09-25-06, 09:36 PM
Well I guess I'm going to grab a Westy 37" W3 just to see if it is good enough to buy/keep. If I'm not satisfied, I can always take it back and get a Samsung! I would just hate to not try out the Westy, especially since it's a 1080p set. If you read my last post, you would know why I wanna try it in my own apartment before making a judgement.

six_storm
10-02-06, 09:04 AM
After doing a little more research within the past week, I've finally decided on what I'm going to do about a HDTV. If you read the last post where I had "decided" to grab a 1080p Westy set and give it a try, I really wasn't thinking straight.

I guess my biggest thing is the life span:quality of the TV I'm going to buy. Let's say I got a Westy and the quality of the TV starts going out within a year or two? Not saying that it couldn't happen with any TV but I just know that a warranty doesn't cover stuff like that. At the end of the day, I would feel 100x better having an investment (TV) fall under a good name brand and a quality I know I can trust.

With that said, I am going with Samsung. I went back to Best Buy and a few other places a few times within the past week. I narrowed it down to 1 Sony ($1,399), 2 Samsungs ($1,450 and $1,350) and an LG model ($1,199). All looked amazing, hardly no difference. The Sony had a nice picture but it didn't come with a built-in HD tuner (what a rip off). The LG looked great for the price but didn't look as good as the Samsung.

I thought it was cool to see another XBOX 360 kiosk at Gamestop and see it in action on a Samsung 26" LCD. Talk about a pretty good difference between that and my Dell 2005FPW.

MustangSVT
10-02-06, 09:31 AM
I can understand your concern. I've heard good things about the Westy 37" w3 though. I'd buy it if I was you. Samsung and Sharp are also good. Don't buy Sony, they're overpriced. I use to be really pro-Sony (I have a Sony CRT HDTV from a few years ago, and have a Sony dvd player and Sony surround system), but nowadays they're overpriced IMO. You can get stuff from the likes of Sharp, Samsung and others (my current home theater TV is a JVC) for cheaper. There's also Toshiba, not sure how good they're LCDs are. Would be nice to have 1080p though. You could buy that 360 hd-dvd addon and watch 1080p movies on the LCD sometime soon. :captnkill: