PDA

View Full Version : Confused about molex removal tool...

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 04:04 PM
Alright, I'm totaly mystified as to how to use one of these:
http://www.xoxide.com/molexremover.html

I bought one to put UV reactive molex connectors on all of my PSU power cables, but it doesnt seem to... erm... DO anything.

The standard, male only or female only molex removal tools look like a syringe and you just press the button and it pushes the pin out.

This one supposedly does both, but it doesnt DO anything. There is no button and no amount of pushing on anything makes it do anything. Its just a metal cylinder with 2 hollow tubes. Am I missing something here? :|

I have a black plastic one that came with the kit of molex connectors but its so soft that it bends when I try to pop the pins out... plus its female only so I wouldnt be able to do the male connectors.

This shouldnt be this difficult... :p

J-Mag
09-25-06, 04:19 PM
This one supposedly does both, but it doesnt DO anything. There is no button and no amount of pushing on anything makes it do anything. Its just a metal cylinder with 2 hollow tubes. Am I missing something here? :|

After you slide the tube over the pin, pull on the wire... The type you are using is not automatic... Basically as long as there is no space between the end of the metal tube of the tool and the plastic housing of the molex connector, the flanges on the molex pins won't be able to pop out and hold against the plastic molex housing when you tug on the associated wire.

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 04:20 PM
After you slide the tube over the pin, pull on the wire... The type you are using is not automatic... Basically as long as there is no space between the end of the metal tube of the tool and the plastic housing of the molex connector, the flanges on the molex pins won't be able to pop out and hold against the plastic molex housing.
Ah, ok. :)

Thanks a TON. :D

BTW guys, this is for the atari itx project. I'll be posting a bunch of pics soon. We've been making a lot of progress lately.

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 04:54 PM
You dont happen to know an easy way to remove the pins from an ATX 20pin PSU connector do you? :p

We didnt get the tool for that, it was another $10... its proving to be rather impossible to do it using pins (sewing pins) because there isnt any room.

J-Mag
09-25-06, 05:57 PM
You dont happen to know an easy way to remove the pins from an ATX 20pin PSU connector do you? :p

We didnt get the tool for that, it was another $10... its proving to be rather impossible to do it using pins (sewing pins) because there isnt any room.

Nope I have never removed the ATX pins from their housing... If you are only doing this to one machine, maybe it would be cheaper just to buy the pins and one housing, then just cut the connector off and crimp back on the pins...

I actually have a few 20pin and 24pin housings if you want one, but no pins...

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 06:21 PM
Nope I have never removed the ATX pins from their housing... If you are only doing this to one machine, maybe it would be cheaper just to buy the pins and one housing, then just cut the connector off and crimp back on the pins...

I actually have a few 20pin and 24pin housings if you want one, but no pins...
Na, thats ok.

If I cant figure out how to remove them without a tool we'll either get the tool or just leave the original on. Its not a real major part of the project, I dont even know how visible it will be or if the UV light will even shine on it.

CaptNKILL
10-03-06, 08:13 PM
So, anyone know how to do wire sleeving? I need to do the PSU wires and an IDE cable.

I've been trying for 2 days and I cant figure out how to do this. Its just a big damn mess. :(

There are different methods online, but one involves a $50 "hot knife" tool and the other uses a ton of heatshrink (which I dont have, and wouldnt help on an IDE cable anyway).

This is a bigger pain in the ass than I thought it would be. Modding sucks. :p

Roadhog
10-03-06, 08:55 PM
I just use 2 needles... works perfect for removing the pins...

Xion X2
10-03-06, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the P.I.T.A (pain in the a**) PSU Modding Club. :)

I spent all last weekend doing this. Just be glad you have that tool; believe it or not it makes removing the molex connectors a lot easier than it otherwise would've been.

I sleeved my entire power supply, except for the 24-pin ATX cable. I couldn't figure out how to get the stupid thing off, so I just left it on. Luckily it was already sleeved in black/red, so it doesn't stick out too bad.

As far as tips go, well--are you able to sleeve the cables ok? I would wrap some tape around the bare molex pins so they would slide through the sleeving without the stupid pins that stick out on the sides getting caught in the sleeving. That's a major P.I.T.A. when that happens. Then I would wrap the heatshrink around the ends that were frayed to clean it up. If the heatshrink wasn't the right size, I tied it down with cable ties and used a lighter to heat it a little so it locked it in place. Here's what the finished product looks like:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20819&stc=1&d=1136282282

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20820&stc=1&d=1136282282

Well worth it, if I do say so myself, tho it took me about 6+ hours in total. But I did every wire in my case.. even the 3 case fans I have.

CaptNKILL
10-03-06, 11:14 PM
That sounds like some solid advice. I'll probably have to do it that way. Thanks. :)

It really sucks that I wont be able to do the main power cable, but since space is so limited I guess itl just have to be stuck behind the other sleeved cables.

We bought some red UV reactive spray paint as well. I wonder if thatd effect the main power cable if I just doused it in that paint. :p

EDIT: By the way, where did you get your supplies and what kind of heatshrink did you use? We just have a little bit of tiny stuff from radio shack. I guess we'll have to order bigger stuff online.

That sleeving you have looks very similar to ours as well. Is that from a Logisys UV reactive kit?

EDIT2: Sorry for all the questions. What size heatshrink and sleeving did you buy? One of the rolls of sleeving we bought turned out to be pretty much useless. Its 1\8 inch and its way too small to be used to any of our wires.

Xion X2
10-04-06, 12:39 PM
No problem with the questions. It is a little complicated/confusing the first time you attempt it, but once you get going it's cake. Just really tedious, is all.

I got all my supplies at Performance PC's. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44&zenid=edb1dd9d3346561ed6827046095eac83

In their wire management section, which I just linked you to, you can find all the supplies you need. I used the UV-reactive cable sleeving and black heatshrink.

A friendly word of advice. You might want to look into the spiral wrap instead of the cable sleeving. I hear that it's much easier to put on, since you don't have to remove any of the molex cables. I like the look of the sleeving better myself, but for somebody who doesn't have a lot of patience the spiral wrap may be the best way to go.

Now that that's out of the way...

Preparations: One mistake that I made is buying too much of the smaller diameter sleeving. Make sure to get more of the 1/2" and up sizes in both the sleeving and the heatshrink, because the rest is just too small to use most of the time. It's a real pain trying to shove some of your wires through 1/4"-3/8" diameter sleeving. Some of the smaller heatshrink can be useful, but make sure you don't waste any money on any of the real small stuff. 3/8" would probably be the smallest I'd go.

Purchase a lot of the heatshrink, because you're going to need it. Also get yourself plenty of cable ties, and color-code them with your sleeving (I'll tell you why soon). Also have on hand a good pair of scissors that can cut through sleeving and heatshrink without probs.

The job: Heatshrink--the general consensus is that it works by taking a lighter or some other heat source around the edges and shrinking it to the cable, but it doesn't work that well under most circumstances. You'll end up nearly burning your fingers off and scorching/melting your sleeving in the process eventually, because it takes a long time to melt. The best way I found is by wrapping the excess heatshrink doubly around the cable sleeving and then taking cable ties and tying one or two to each place where you used the heatshrink in order to secure it first, then you can use a lighter to melt just around the tips and it will lock it in place securely. If you look at the pics I posted, you can see the rubber-like grommet looking things on some of the cables. That's the heatshrink, and it's tied down with black cable ties, then melted around the edges between the shrink and the sleeving by a lighter that I used to finish securing it in place.

The tools: The only tool that you really need for the job you already have. It's the tool that has the hollow tubes on the ends that slide over the molex connector pins. The smaller end slides over the pins that are covered by the plug; the larger end slides over the exposed pins that you can see. In both cases they slide down on top of the molex pins and bend the little metal wings that are on the sides of the pins that are locking them in place.

I didn't use any of the other tools that came in my PSU modding kit. I tried messing with the 24-pin connector for 10-15 minutes but had no luck and just didn't feel comfortable going any further with it, so I just left it alone. If you're paranoid about it, you could probably just buy some spiral wrap to circle around it, which is much easier to use.

Precautions" First of all, make sure that you are gentle about pulling the pins out of the connectors. You may have to run the tool over them several times and twist it in circles to make sure the metal wings are bent in enough to slide the pins out. Never jerk them. Try moving them up and down, back and forth, and shimmy them out.

Make sure that you map where each molex pin goes into the plug, because if even one is off, it could disrupt the power current and corrupt your system. Each pin has a ground and so on. Make sure you observe both sides of the connectors and know exactly where each one should go back to. The order is normally yellow-black-black-red, but also make sure that you're turning the connector the right way that it originally was when you saw them in that order, otherwise you could end up sending the wires backwards, and you don't want that. You'll see what I mean when you start. Also make sure that the pins are completely locked back in place.

There's more to it than this, but all this should have you off and running. :)

CaptNKILL
10-04-06, 10:29 PM
I cant really tell what this stuff is, it looks similar to spiral wrap but I'm not sure. It could be adhesive, like some kind of tape that you wrap around the cable by hand.:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3750/slv-49/FrozenCPU_EZ-Sleeve_Cable_Sleeve_-_UV_GREEN.html?tl=g35c177s375

What do you think? It looks good to me, and this is the only UV Green spiral wrap I've seen anywhere.

I think I actually prefer the slick look of the spiral wrap to the mesh look of the wire sleeving.

Xion X2
10-05-06, 07:55 AM
^ It's not adhesive; it's spiral-wrap. It just bends that way, I think. Can't say for certain tho, because I've never used it.