PDA

View Full Version : DFI to abandon motherboard business?

Pages : [1] 2

AthlonXP1800
09-25-06, 05:31 PM
I would be really very surprised if it will be true.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20060925143458.html

Diamond Flower Information, a well-known second-tier mainboard maker, may stop producing mainboards for desktops in order to concentrate on industrial solutions. While the information is not confirmed, this would fit into typical strategy of smaller motherboard manufacturers to withdraw from the mainstream market.

According to Spanish-language ChileHardware web-site, DFI will withdraw from the market of enthusiast and desktop-class mainboards due to flat sales or market share increases.

DFI became well known among enthusiasts several year ago with the release of the LanParty mainboard series, which has become very popular among overclockers since then. However, the primary business of DFI are mainboards for industrial computing, a more predictable market with stable sales that does not require massive investments into research and development.

Taiwan-based DFI said it was the world’s No. 7 largest mainboard manufacturer back in 2001 and has branches in the U.S., Japan, Europe and China.

Mainboard market has been experiencing serious reshuffling in the recent years, as larger players have been gaining market share rather quickly. As a result, consolidations in the mainboard and computer components markets have been going for several years now just like re-focusing of several compaines. During the last 12 to 18 months Walton acquired a stake in Chaintech, Abit was bought by USI, Leadtek Research teamed up with Foxconn, Gigabyte formed joint-venture with Asus and several other deals were conducted.

Officials for DFI did not comment on the news-story.

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 05:37 PM
WHAT!?

NO!

:(

AthlonXP1800
09-25-06, 05:47 PM
I think DFI must be felt so lonely and may decide to get out if DFI cant be team up with other motherboard partner to be big enough to compete.

J-Mag
09-25-06, 05:54 PM
I think DFI must be felt so lonely and may decide to get out if DFI cant be team up with other motherboard partner to be big enough to compete.

huh?

snowmanwithahat
09-25-06, 07:31 PM
i'd believe it, that's how DFI started, making enterprise motherboards, it's where their money is made, the enthusiast market is just small and select, thus no huge profits, even though they do have amazing products.... maybe they can send their people to Abit and create a good board again... if i remember right they aquired the main designer of the legendary NF7 board from Abit, right after that project

AthlonXP1800
09-25-06, 07:56 PM
huh?

Do you think DFI alone can compete with Gigabyte formed joint-venture with Asus?

jAkUp
09-25-06, 08:05 PM
Yup they aquired Oskar Wu.

I don't think DFI is going anywhere. Sure more people buy consumer motherboards, but you need to sell tons more to make the same revenue that you would make from an enthusiast motherboard. Enthusiasts will pay more money for a good product, consumers will not.

CaptNKILL
09-25-06, 09:47 PM

I don't think DFI is going anywhere. Sure more people buy consumer motherboards, but you need to sell tons more to make the same revenue that you would make from an enthusiast motherboard. Enthusiasts will pay more money for a good product, consumers will not.
I hope youre right. I love DFI boards. I've got the one in my main rig and I have one with a K6-2 in it for DOS\win9x games and they are both excellent boards with a ton of features.

Mr_LoL
09-25-06, 10:14 PM
I love dfi boards as well. Rock stable with a ton of confusing but fub to play with options.

Tikiman44
09-25-06, 10:57 PM
This could be really bad news.:(

SH64
09-25-06, 11:37 PM
This is not good! i just started to get used to DFI mobos :(

Bearclaw
09-25-06, 11:57 PM
I have never use done but I was planning on one for my next upgrade. I hope they don't shut down.

crainger
09-26-06, 01:25 AM
Maybe nVida will buy them up?

retsam
09-26-06, 06:22 AM
say it ant so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lduguay
09-26-06, 07:21 AM

Gig-o-Sucks offer a FULL range of mb's. From extremely low end to high-end. There are plenty of smaller and not so small players such as ARock, Abit, Aopen, Biostar, Chaintech, ECS, Epox, EVga, Foxconn, Intel, Mercury, MSI/Microstar,Tyan,SuperMicro,Soltec, Via... Just to name a few. I guess most "MB only" shops are hard pressed with R&D investments, production and distribution costs. Alliances&mergers are very common and probably the only way they can survive in this cut-throath business. I am not too worried about Oskar, he might design more "industrial MB" for DFI.

DataMatrix
09-26-06, 11:21 AM
ASUS FTW!

Bearclaw
09-26-06, 11:57 AM
ASUS FTW!
ASUS does have some very nice borads. I am currentyl using an ASUS board and I haven't had a problem yet.

jAkUp
09-26-06, 12:30 PM
ASUS FTW!

:barf:

Fotis
09-26-06, 12:58 PM
There I'll say it : DFI SUCKS!(pirate) :flame:

Asus FTW!:headbang:

Anyway I hope DFI continues to offer great enthusiast boards.;)

Bearclaw
09-26-06, 01:07 PM
chipset fans of asus mobos are known to fail...

...my chipset fan died last 2 weeks. replaced it with a blue ice pro.
I have heard that alot. Where did you get your fan from? Newegg?

Bearclaw
09-26-06, 01:08 PM
There I'll say it : DFI SUCKS!(pirate) :flame:

Asus FTW!:headbang:

Anyway I hope DFI continues to offer great enthusiast boards.;)
I don't think DFI sucks. I think thye have great boards. I just happen to be using ASUS right now. My next board will be a DFI....that is if they keep selling them. :o

DataMatrix
09-26-06, 01:33 PM
chipset fans of asus mobos are known to fail...

...my chipset fan died last 2 weeks. replaced it with a blue ice pro.

Passive cooling ASUS FTW?

jAkUp
09-27-06, 09:31 PM
muahah

Diamond Flower Information denied on Tuesday information that the company plans to abandon the high-end mainboards business. Instead, the manufacturer said, the company will cease to supply entry-level desktop solutions too boost its focus on the mid-range and high-end Infinity and LanParty motherboards.

"It is a well know fact that our industrial motherboards give us a more dependable year round business but there are no plans to stop production on our LanParty and Infinity line products. At the moment we still have LanParty and Infinity boards planned until Q4 2007 and R&D is constantly thinking of new boards to add to the planning."¨ said Zach Schreiber, a spokesman for DFI. DFI states that the information is incorrect and reforms in its mainboard business will only affect entry-level solutions, which will be scrapped eventually. The mainstream and high-end motherboards families, such as Infinity and LanParty, will continue to be made. In fact, the company expects to increase research and development resources for the aforementioned lineups.

DFI became well known among enthusiasts several year ago with the release of the LanParty mainboard series, which has become very popular among overclockers since then. However, the primary business of DFI are mainboards for industrial computing, a more predictable market with stable sales that does not require massive investments into research and development. Taiwan-based DFI said it was the world's No. 7 largest mainboard manufacturer back in 2001 and has branches in the U.S., Japan, Europe and China. The company said that its production and market share has increased since 2001.

jAkUp
09-27-06, 09:44 PM
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4057

Bearclaw
09-27-06, 10:26 PM
Philippines
Cagayan de Oro City
RA-C Computers

:D
Haha, ok then. Thanks though. I'm sure I can find it on newegg. Although, if I have to travel to the phillipines to get one I will.