PDA

View Full Version : Solaris 10 system freezes with 1.0-8774

stemplar
09-25-06, 08:26 PM
I've been suffering instability with my system when I run 1.0-8774 (and also with whichever version immediately preceeded 1.0-8774). My system is running Solaris 10 update 2 with the latest patches applied.

I can run for weeks or more with zero problems using just the "nv" driver, but my system freezes usually within a few hours of installing and running the nvidia driver. I created the xorg.conf using the nvidia tool and haven't tweaked it at all. My graphics card is an evga GeForce 6500 (pci-e) in an otherwise stock hp 7330 media center pc.

In the last 6 months or so, the pc worked fine with other OS's, and again, I have no stability issues with the nv driver.

I've dumped a bug report, but it's far too long to post.

Can someone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting? Or if there are nvidia folks here, what do I do with this bug report? I'd be happy to share just the helpful bits if you tell me what parts are important.

Thanks,
Simon

zander
09-29-06, 04:22 AM
Please check if the problem reproduces with the 1.0-9625 BETA driver; if it does, please generate and attach an updated bug report (you can compress it with zip, if necessary).

stemplar
10-01-06, 10:52 AM
I tried the NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-1.0-9625 beta driver this morning. Shortly after installing and rebooting, I poked around the nice control panel, changed my monitor resolution once or twice in it, then launched mozilla. Within 5 minutes or so my system froze.

I don't know if using a browser seems to provoke a crash moreso than just my xterms/gnome-terminals, or if more often than not I have a browser open so it's just a coincidence that mozilla or firefox are running when the host freezes.

Nonetheless, attached is a gzipped bug report. 20745

Thanks,
Simon