PDA

View Full Version : Is Quad Significantly better than 1 GX2?

kwynjunk
09-26-06, 08:13 AM
I have the XFX 7950 XXX edition and this thing kicks...No problems at all.

However, I recently stepped up my EVGA 7900GTX for an EVGA 7950 GX2.

Should I run Quad SLI or sell the EVGA 7950 GX2? It is being shipped as we speak, so its still brand new in the box.

Xion X2
09-26-06, 09:20 AM
Quad has yet to really pan out, IMO. The only people who are really benefiting from it are running uber-high resolutions and playing with 16-32xAA. You'd be better off selling the GX2 and using that money to upgrade to Vista/G80/R600 when it comes out.

Quad will benefit you in certain cases, but the price/performance ratio just isn't worth it, IMO.

Daneel Olivaw
09-26-06, 09:30 AM
Is Quad Significantly better than 1 GX2?No.

Bearclaw
09-26-06, 09:45 AM
Just keep the 7950 for now and wait for G80 or R600.

fatal1ty
09-26-06, 10:07 AM
Just keep the 7950 for now and wait for G80 or R600.

I agree...
The 7950 will hold much better resale value than anything else out right now.

Bearclaw
09-26-06, 10:24 AM
I agree...
The 7950 will hold much better resale value than anything else out right now.
I mean, if you just have the extra cahs lying around, then by all means go for it. Haha. I would just wait though, it'll eb any day for G80/R600. And by that I mean, we have no idea..it could be months..and probably will be :(

kwynjunk
09-26-06, 11:53 AM
So are you all recommending sell it now(new in the box) and bank the money for G80 rather than use it for Quad SLI?

Xion X2
09-26-06, 12:51 PM
So are you all recommending sell it now(new in the box) and bank the money for G80 rather than use it for Quad SLI?

Yes.

FearMeAll
09-26-06, 02:11 PM
I had quad for a long time since the week it came out. It kicks ass in opengl games that can do 4way alternate frame rendering, however I have only 3 games that use opengl. Riddick for instance takes no hit whatsoever with soft shadows on at whatever resolution and FSAA I run at. Impossible with just standard sli.
Directx in it's current form does not allow for 4 way alternate frame rendering at all. rather AFR of split frame rendering. Directx9c will not allow it (not enough back buffers) however directx9L that will be in windows Vista along with directx10 will allow for it. Only then is quad really worth it. I plan on quad directx10 cards when this major and I mean major bug is worked out with directx, until then I would just use a gx2 or sli. I sold my other gx2 because for the most part it was just sucking power. I also was able to overclock the sh*t out of my single gx2 and things over all are much better except for opengl.

Rollo
09-26-06, 08:10 PM
I had quad for a long time since the week it came out. It kicks ass in opengl games that can do 4way alternate frame rendering, however I have only 3 games that use opengl. Riddick for instance takes no hit whatsoever with soft shadows on at whatever resolution and FSAA I run at. Impossible with just standard sli.
Directx in it's current form does not allow for 4 way alternate frame rendering at all. rather AFR of split frame rendering. Directx9c will not allow it (not enough back buffers) however directx9L that will be in windows Vista along with directx10 will allow for it. Only then is quad really worth it. I plan on quad directx10 cards when this major and I mean major bug is worked out with directx, until then I would just use a gx2 or sli. I sold my other gx2 because for the most part it was just sucking power. I also was able to overclock the sh*t out of my single gx2 and things over all are much better except for opengl.

You can get enhanced performance on D3d games such as FEAR, BF2, and Oblivion.

What I didn't see anyone asking is the most important question- what resolution do you play at?

If it's below 19X12, quad probably isn't worth it to you. If you want to run 19X12 8X16X and up, quad is the only thing that will work.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_7900_7950_gx2_quad_sli_update/
Check out quad demolishing SLi and Crossfire at all 8XAA benches.

I like quad. It's not a "bang for buck" solution, but high end stuff never is.

BTW- I run a XFX XXX with a nVidia reference GX2, so that sort of mix works fine if you were wondering.

FearMeAll
09-26-06, 11:43 PM
You can get enhanced performance on D3d games such as FEAR, BF2, and Oblivion.

What I didn't see anyone asking is the most important question- what resolution do you play at?

If it's below 19X12, quad probably isn't worth it to you. If you want to run 19X12 8X16X and up, quad is the only thing that will work.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_7900_7950_gx2_quad_sli_update/
Check out quad demolishing SLi and Crossfire at all 8XAA benches.

I like quad. It's not a "bang for buck" solution, but high end stuff never is.

BTW- I run a XFX XXX with a nVidia reference GX2, so that sort of mix works fine if you were wondering.
you're preaching to the converted. I know all this. Oblivion, fear, and BF2 do NOT do 4 way AFR. 8x sli FSAA that you are talking about does 2x FSAA on each card with varying rotated grids and mixes the final image together to get 8x. Basically it's getting 8xfsaa at the performance of a single card doing 2x. I know. But I did not care about this mode. I only like running at 4x because my eyes have a hell of a hard time telling the difference between 4x and 8x on up. I want 4x FSAA at twice the performance of sli and right now quad cannot do it because of directx9c. Having tried 8x sli FSAA I was not at all satisfied with the performance. I like a ridiculous framerate and that was what I was paying for. I spend thousands of dollars on pc hardware on a whim all the time, but FOR ME, quad turned out to be a waste of time in its CURRENT form. AFR of SFR except for a few exceptions performs slower than just plain AFR. Even when it does perform faster it is not by much. I ran the benches I know. 4-way AFR kicks ass and I'll only buy quad again in a heartbeat if directx will support it.

jAkUp
09-27-06, 12:43 AM
Is it better? Yes. Is it significantly better? No.

Really it depends on your resolution. For uber-high resolutions it is significantly better, but for the average joe it aint.

CaptNKILL
09-27-06, 12:52 AM
I dont like running SLI on 1 GX2, you'd have to pay me to use 2 for Quad SLI.

Bleh. :p

SH64
09-27-06, 03:08 AM
For certain games its .. but in general no its not.

FearMeAll
09-27-06, 07:51 AM

Really it depends on your resolution. For uber-high resolutions it is significantly better, but for the average joe it aint.
yeah I still thought it was something fun to tinker with when I had my gateway lcd monitor. I think it at least helped with minimum framerate. I never did have a single problem with framerate in any game. Tomb raider was the only thing that sucked but that was because it has an issue with streaming game cache.
Right now my pc is hooked to a 1280x720 projector and well, as you can guess quad sli becomes kinda useless. Single card still isn't enough for the framerate I want. I have plenty of instances where sli still doubles my framerate versus single card even at that resolution. A part of me still kinda misses having 4 cards in my pc just cuz of the bragging rights. I still can't complain too bad about the fps I was getting even if it was halfway working. I can't wait for 1080p projectors to drop in price. That would look so beautiful. Right now they are still $10,000 and there is no way I can justify that purchase.
COME ON VISTA come out! I wan't directx10. :D

kwynjunk
09-27-06, 08:21 AM
I guess when my step-up comes then, I'll probably sell it new-in-box.

Can you guys recommend how to sell this thing?

I would put it up for sale here (I tried to do this with my 7900gtx), but I have never sold anything on ebay or the internet at all for that matter, thus I have no feedback.

Rollo
09-27-06, 08:37 AM

It's not really meant for the average Joe though, and nV themselves say that, in print.

Xion X2
09-27-06, 01:49 PM
Can you guys recommend how to sell this thing?

I would put it up for sale here (I tried to do this with my 7900gtx), but I have never sold anything on ebay or the internet at all for that matter, thus I have no feedback.

Your best bet is ebay, even without feedback. You should get close to retail for it. Just make sure that you pick a grownup username, you write your ad intelligently and put up some good pictures of the item. People are a lot less likely to buy a 500$ part from iCeCoOlPimP696969 than they are from Bob135, despite the feedback ratings.

shungokusatsu
09-27-06, 03:36 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6156859/p-2.html

Blacklash
09-30-06, 11:41 AM
If it's brand new in the box, sell it. Xion gave you good advice on flea bay.

Quad SLi makes 16x AA very playable @ high resolutions from what I have seen and with the G80s coming down the line I'd stick with the one 7950 and sell the NIB one.

Then again I just game @ 1680x with 4x AA|16x AF most often.

kwynjunk
09-30-06, 04:05 PM
It just came yesterday UPS. I missed the UPS guy, so I had them hold it at the UPS office for me.

I'll be picking it up on Monday and ebaying on Tues. after I take pics of the box etc...

I'd have it up Mon. but I got tix to Monday Night Football!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:

Actually i put it up on the FS board here. If I have no takers, I guess I'll try ebay. I don't really want to go ebay though.