PDA

View Full Version : Another PS3 title lost online support

msxyz
09-26-06, 02:00 PM
Sega confirmed that Virtua Tennis 3 for the PS3 won't feature online play. The xbox 360 version of the same game, on the contrary, will have this feature. Last week, Activision announced that Tony Hawk 8 for the PS3 won't be playable online.

It seems that Sony is late with the network infrastructure and development tools and so the software houses have to drop online support from their titles.

|MaguS|
09-26-06, 02:50 PM
Mind sharing the source? As far as I knew Virtua Tennis had it, I knew Project 8 lost it but that was due to development time.

It's funny that they claim Sony is late with the Tools yet many games have already been shown to support Online MP (Resistance, RR7, GTHD, WarHawk, Dark Kingdom, MotorStorm, Fatal Inertia)

Bad_Boy
09-26-06, 03:34 PM
i find it funny sega has online for full auto 2 (ign even confirmed it running online on the PNP), but sega's vt3, a 2007 title, has no online. its like sega doesnt even want to try for VT3.

|MaguS|
09-26-06, 03:59 PM
Ok, Now im really confused... the game isn't releasing till spring of next year... theres no way Sony is that behind (if they are). Virtua Tennis 3 has more then enough time in development to include online play.

Tony Hawks excuse is that they don't have enough time since they plan for it to be a launch title but Virtua Tennis has no such excuse. Again, like Bad_boy stated, Sega already has a title working online for the PS3, no reason they shouldn't be able to get another going.

msxyz
09-26-06, 04:53 PM
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19965

Well, in six week we'll know the truth.

evilchris
09-26-06, 05:02 PM
http://www.fanforhire.com/images/comical_ali.jpg

Edge
09-26-06, 05:21 PM
It's funny that they claim Sony is late with the Tools yet many games have already been shown to support Online MP (Resistance, RR7, GTHD, WarHawk, Dark Kingdom, MotorStorm, Fatal Inertia)
And most of those games are being developed or published by Sony, so it isn't exactly a surprise that they have access to resources most 3rd parties don't.

Bad_Boy
09-26-06, 05:26 PM
And most of those games are being developed or published by Sony, so it isn't exactly a surprise that they have access to resources most 3rd parties don't.
yeah, but its kinda hard to explain segas situation.

sega game 1
launch title
has online

sega game 2
2007 title
no online

tell me that doesnt sound weird.

S.I.N
09-26-06, 06:20 PM
i find it funny sega has online for full auto 2 (ign even confirmed it running online on the PNP), but sega's vt3, a 2007 title, has no online. its like sega doesnt even want to try for VT3.

Full Auto is not a in house developed game like VT3 is though.

|MaguS|
09-26-06, 06:21 PM

So what? Sony is pulling a Nintendo and not giving their 3rd parties the tools to go online? How do you explain Full Auto 2 having Online support then? or even Ridge Racer 7 which supports better online capablities then Ridge Racer 6.

S.I.N, That helps our argument even more since Sega is a larger company then Pseudo Interactive so one would think Sony would be giving them the tools prior to a smaller developer.

Marvel_us
09-26-06, 06:22 PM
Doesn't make sense if Full Auto 2 has online play, weird.

Zelda_fan
09-26-06, 06:54 PM
honestly, who cares about this online support stuff. If the game is good, then the game is good, and that's all that matters. You shouldn't get so worked up over technology (or the lack thereof) in games. If a game is good, then it is good.

Mr_LoL
09-26-06, 08:03 PM
honestly, who cares about this online support stuff. If the game is good, then the game is good, and that's all that matters. You shouldn't get so worked up over technology (or the lack thereof) in games. If a game is good, then it is good.
Yeah but it will be fun to play against people online. Thats why live is so successful.

oldsk00l
09-26-06, 08:06 PM
http://www.fanforhire.com/images/comical_ali.jpg

"We are not afraid of Microsoft. Kutaragi has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid" (dramatic pause) "and they are condemned."

"I can assure you that those villains will recognize, will discover in appropriate time in the future how stupid they are and how they are pretending things which have never taken place."

"Microsoft, they always depend on a method what I call ... stupid, silly. All I ask is check yourself. Do not in fact repeat their lies."

"The American press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies!"

"Now even Microsoft is under siege. We are hitting them from the north, east, south and west. We chase them here and they chase us there. But at the end we are the people who are laying siege to them. And it is not them who are besieging us."

"because we will behead you all"

"Let the Microsoft infidels bask in their illusion"

Bad_Boy
09-26-06, 09:19 PM
Full Auto is not a in house developed game like VT3 is though.
Still, doesnt Sony pass the online libraries to it's publisher which then passes them to the developers. Why can't sega pass the online libraries to the VT3 developer? And even then, it just sounds to me like sega wasnt planning on putting online in the game in the first place. I mean I could see if they were a launch game, but taking a feature out 5-6 months in advance just sounds shady. I guess it depends on how long it takes to implement online.

LiquidX
09-27-06, 02:08 AM
I think its more with Sega not wanting or unable to get Virtual Fighter to play well online. Correct me if I'am wrong but I remember reading where they said it was very hard for Virtual Fighter to have proper hit detection if it was online and that was the reason they never implemented it.

Bad_Boy
09-27-06, 04:19 AM
Yeah I remember them saying that if they put VF5 online that it would be an entirely different game because the way they would have to go about doing things, and that they want a perfect arcade port (meaning dont expect too many features no in the arcade version), so they decided against online.

|MaguS|
09-27-06, 09:46 AM
I think its more with Sega not wanting or unable to get Virtual Fighter to play well online. Correct me if I'am wrong but I remember reading where they said it was very hard for Virtual Fighter to have proper hit detection if it was online and that was the reason they never implemented it.

Reason for VF5 not to be online was the directors desicion, he thinks our current network capabilities are not fast enough to provide the accuracy that many VF players need. He doesn't want to risk having any lag since VF was always about exact timing and speed.

So the technical difficulties were not PS3 but rather our home internet capablitites.

He also went on to say that he will never make a Virtua Fighter online, If Sega wants a fighting game for online play they would have to change the title.