PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Demo

Pages : [1] 2

oldsk00l
09-27-06, 10:11 PM
VERY meh, the visuals looked impressive. It looks like they've kept with the art style of sonic adventure, just blown the details up with the hardware.

The problem was in the CRAP controls though, and the fact that this incarnation of Sonic is like...taking Sonic but trying to make him appeal to the same audiences that use to play it during the genesis days.

I just don't get into it, it's Sonic, they need to take it back to its roots and not try to make it "cool" just "fun".

If the controls were more manageable like they were on the Dreamcast controller I'd have liked it far better.

|MaguS|
09-27-06, 10:13 PM
Man, It sucks that bad? I wish they would just make a new Sonic into 2D gameplay with bad ass 3D graphics... Sonic was about speed and the 3D versions just can't give you the same feeling...

oldsk00l
09-27-06, 10:36 PM
Man, It sucks that bad? I wish they would just make a new Sonic into 2D gameplay with bad ass 3D graphics... Sonic was about speed and the 3D versions just can't give you the same feeling...

The frustrating thing was angling the controller stick a tenth of a millimeter to the left and watching Sonic make a complete left hand turn and go flying off the track.

I agree though, which is what the PSP Sonic game looks like it's doing. I'd like to see that type of control on a 360. Open ended controls that are pretty sensitive work for Mario games..but with Sonic it's like trying to pilot a fighter careening through at mach 4 and being completely unforgiving with the ultra ultra subtle movements...like on a controller.

I'd actually go so far as to say don't waste your time, and if the final game handles this way it's not even worth a rental.

Bearclaw
09-27-06, 10:56 PM
Eh, I was never a big sonic fan anyway.

JigenD
09-27-06, 11:59 PM
I like the demo, and I don't find the controls to be any worse than SA1 or 2 on DC. The camera IS worse, however...

Still, the graphics are awesome and I had a lot of fun with the demo, so I'm looking forward to it.

brady
09-28-06, 05:32 AM
They need to map the right thumbstick to directional movement instead of camera movement because the left and right bumpers do the same thing as the right thumbstick right now. Using the left thumbstick for both speed and direction is IMO very dumb for this kind of game.

karkrash81
09-28-06, 07:29 AM
I tried the demo but the movement controls were so sensitive I ended up falling off the platforms constantly...

Sigh...I miss the old sonic ... before all of these crazy characters, guns, etc...

ENU291
09-28-06, 08:25 AM
Yep.. the controls are simply horrendous. As everyone mentioned the graphics are nice but the controls are so frustrating that I don't think I'll ever try to play that demo again. Poor Sonic... what have they done to you?!?!

|MaguS|
09-28-06, 09:23 AM
Sigh...I miss the old sonic ... before all of these crazy characters, guns, etc...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/444/050314vo0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

karkrash81
09-28-06, 09:28 AM
that's hilarious...and true!

Mathesar
09-28-06, 01:55 PM
Wow ..the controls and camera are just awful.. It looks good via 720P but thats the only positive I can think of :thumbdwn:

JigenD
09-28-06, 02:25 PM
The more I hear people whine about this game and the more I play the demo, the more I think everyone but me is an idiot.

Seriously, why is everyone crying about the controls? Are they really that difficult for you? Did you die once then delete the demo? I can now get through the level in less than 2 minutes without dying consistantly. Why is this game any different than others with reguards to difficulty? Every game takes at least a few minutes to learn the basics. What do you expect?

Seriously, I really don't get it. At first the controls were a bit difficult to me, but it took me like 5 minutes to get it down and master it. If anything the demo is too easy and short.

oldsk00l
09-28-06, 05:04 PM
The more I hear people whine about this game and the more I play the demo, the more I think everyone but me is an idiot.

Seriously, why is everyone crying about the controls? Are they really that difficult for you? Did you die once then delete the demo? I can now get through the level in less than 2 minutes without dying consistantly. Why is this game any different than others with reguards to difficulty? Every game takes at least a few minutes to learn the basics. What do you expect?

Seriously, I really don't get it. At first the controls were a bit difficult to me, but it took me like 5 minutes to get it down and master it. If anything the demo is too easy and short.

"Everyone but me is an idiot"

Well **** you too then asshole.

ENU291
09-28-06, 05:34 PM

Well it seems like you are in the minority because the majority of people on this forum think that the control scheme used by the Sonic demo is not intuitive.

oldsk00l you need to tone it down a little. I don't want to see you get banned for some silly comment. We need you around here! ;)

S.I.N
09-28-06, 05:40 PM
Well it seems like you are in the minority because the majority of people on this forum think that the control scheme used by the Sonic demo is not intuitive.

oldsk00l you need to tone it down a little. I don't want to see you get band for some silly comment. We need you around here! ;)

Dont worry, him and a few others are in the conservative "I cant get banned club".(pirate)

JigenD
09-28-06, 08:12 PM
I've also noticed people don't discuss things on forums anymore.

Games either 'rock' or 'suck' and noone ever says why.

Oh well. The new Sonic ROX DOOD!

oldsk00l
09-28-06, 08:16 PM
Dont worry, him and a few others are in the conservative "I cant get banned club".(pirate)

Hey ZF was very much in that club and it turned out that it really wasn't a club :P

Anyway, I don't intend to retract the comment. But thanks for the concern, and I will find a more moderate way to respond to that kind of stuff in the future.

In any case, I gave it another go around...and I didn't find it any more enjoyable once I got Sonic to stay on the blasted tracks. It just seems like a worn out gameplay type for me, hyper fast zing by stuff in a 3d world like I've done on the last few Sonic games. I'd really like to see a high def 2D styled gameplay but in whatever gargantuan amount of detail they'd like to throw in. I just don't find this game very fun at all.

|MaguS|
09-28-06, 08:22 PM
Games either 'rock' or 'suck' and noone ever says why.

You need to learn to read... it has been said many times why they believe the game sucks... the controls are horrid...

UDawg
09-28-06, 09:03 PM
I have never been a fan of Sonic. I thought they were just ok. That being said, some of the best time playing console games was with my son playing Sonic Heroes. The game was ok but my son loves them and we had a ball together.

I need a hug.

oldsk00l
09-29-06, 12:38 AM
Sonic heroes was fun.

and *hugs*

sytaylor
09-29-06, 04:27 AM
I have never been a fan of Sonic. I thought they were just ok. That being said, some of the best time playing console games was with my son playing Sonic Heroes. The game was ok but my son loves them and we had a ball together.

I need a hug.

:hug:

No more dissing sonic mmkay? (duel)

Sonic > Food.

JigenD
09-29-06, 10:18 AM
You need to learn to read... it has been said many times why they believe the game sucks... the controls are horrid...

Well, I'll say the controls are flat out NOT horrid. They're not worse than ANY other platforming game in the last 10 years (including Mario 64).

It's the camera that's horrid. The controls are fine.

oldsk00l
09-29-06, 10:21 AM
Well, I'll say the controls are flat out NOT horrid. They're not worse than ANY other platforming game in the last 10 years (including Mario 64).

It's the camera that's horrid. The controls are fine.

That's just your opinion, and so far everyone but you seems spot on.

I'd have found it much easier to use if they inverted the horizontal camera control because it is horrid.

JigenD
09-29-06, 10:51 AM
That's just your opinion, and so far everyone but you seems spot on.

I'd have found it much easier to use if they inverted the horizontal camera control because it is horrid.

You mean 5 other people in this thread that have played the game. That's not 'everyone'.

If I can make it through the level without even trying anymore, it must not be me. Or maybe I have superhuman skills, but I don't think so.

Sabadin
09-29-06, 11:58 AM
the controls are horrid... :eek2:

Maybe if your a total ham fist. Either that or the GC version of Sonic Adventure was a lot more sensitive than the DC one so it's less of a transition for us. (where's a shrug smiley when you need it?)