PDA

View Full Version : SLI modes

Pages : [1] 2

yehuda
09-30-06, 02:48 AM
Hi,

Whenever I play Halflife 2 with load balancing bars, I can see it's working with SFR. I took a look on the profile (with nhancer and the nvidia cpl), and it shows it should use AFR.

I tried to force it myself to afr, but it will still use sfr.

The game is working good, so no problem there, but I'm wondering why forcing SLI modes has no effect.

(using 91.29, 7950gx2 and I also noticed it in more games).

Anyone else noticed it?

Thanks

rewt
10-01-06, 03:25 PM
I don't believe you can force an SLI mode by using global setting, if the game already has a profile. You must force it in the profile, or delete the profile and force it using the Global setting.

I use NVTray to dynamically force an SLI mode when programs don't have a profile, and it works great.

|MaguS|
10-01-06, 04:43 PM
If you force anything in global it will override the profile... I have to do it often...

rewt
10-01-06, 05:00 PM
It might depend on which CP you use. I just tried what you said using the classic cp, but it does not work that way. If the profile says SFR, and I set global to AFR2, I load up the game and it is clearly using SFR.. I can tell because the load balancing bars are horizontal in SFR mode.

|MaguS|
10-01-06, 05:20 PM
It might depend on which CP you use. I just tried what you said using the classic cp, but it does not work that way. If the profile says SFR, and I set global to AFR2, I load up the game and it is clearly using SFR.. I can tell because the load balancing bars are horizontal in SFR mode.

Then its your Rig because I only use the classic CP and setting globals works perfectly for me and I KNOW its working since I have tested it many times for a game....

rewt
10-01-06, 05:37 PM
The SLI profile works perfectly for me, and the global setting does NOT override it.

Just tested two more games to make sure. TW 2007 and COD2.

May be GX2-only thing..

fatal1ty
10-01-06, 06:01 PM
The SLI profile works perfectly for me, and the global setting does NOT override it.

Just tested two more games to make sure. TW 2007 and COD2.

May be GX2-only thing..

TW 2007 plays aweful on the 7950 GX2, hopefully a new driver will properly support it. When I force SLI I get flashing textures. At the tee Im running 30 FPS with the 7950 GX2, my X1900XTX was about 75 FPS - same spot, same settings. Cmon NV - give us some new drivers!! ;)

rewt
10-01-06, 06:06 PM
Try using SFR mode in TW2007. It seems to have gotten rid of the flashing textures for me.

K007
10-01-06, 09:43 PM
I dont have a single game that uses SFR..all my games so far use AFR.

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 12:12 AM
Try using SFR mode in TW2007. It seems to have gotten rid of the flashing textures for me.

Fixed the flashing. I still get about 1/3 of the FPS as my X1900XTX in the same spot with the same settings. Im at 25 fps at the tee using SFR still. Something is still wrong.

rewt
10-02-06, 12:19 AM
Yeah, performance is not great for me either. The game is clearly trying to use SLI though. My on screen display reports both GPU temps rising by the same amount. Maybe just a bug in the drivers which makes performance low.

yehuda
10-02-06, 03:57 AM
I should've mentioned I tried to force it in the profile, not global.
What I did find is that some other settings (like trans. AA) can change the SLI modes.

What I did is copy a working afr profile I used for doom 3, and used it for eq2. I had exactly the same settings, but while doom3 used afr, eq2 used sfr.
When I disabled trans. AA in the eq2 profile, it started using afr again.
this in both 91.48 and 92.91.

toby77jo
10-02-06, 09:51 AM
if someone finds out good sli modes with nvidia 7950GX2 for the following games:

Tiger Woods 2007
Nba Live 2007
Fifa 2007
NHL 2007

Please put it in this thread, since the latest nvidia drivers does not have profiles for these games yet.

garikfox
10-02-06, 10:15 AM
I always use Global SLIx16, SLI Antialiasing, Works everytime. ;)

toby77jo
10-02-06, 10:25 AM
Maybe a bit off topic, but don't you agree that Nvidia is starting to get worse and worse in terms of drivers/support/hardware. Their next generation gpu g80 even seems to suck big time, not even true dx10 support, only 48 shaders compared to ati r600 64 true pipelines, no unified shader, and supposed to have performance like 2 7900 in dx9, why bother seems to be like a 7950gx2 with a few improvements shader model 4 + support for AA+HDR at the same time.

While r600 looks like it will be a monster with a release 2 monther after the
g80.

And we are still stuck with a bounch of bugs in the 9 series drivers. And SLI support is released after game releases. And what's up with the new control panel, each time you change around with the settings it messes up the performance, i.e you use default and get 9000 points in 3dmark 2006, then you change some settings and then change back to default and then you get 7000 points.

|MaguS|
10-02-06, 10:41 AM
Maybe a bit off topic, but don't you agree that Nvidia is starting to get worse and worse in terms of drivers/support/hardware. Their next generation gpu g80 even seems to suck big time, not even true dx10 support, only 48 shaders compared to ati r600 64 true pipelines, no unified shader, and supposed to have performance like 2 7900 in dx9, why bother seems to be like a 7950gx2 with a few improvements shader model 4 + support for AA+HDR at the same time.

g80.

And we are still stuck with a bounch of bugs in the 9 series drivers. And SLI support is released after game releases. And what's up with the new control panel, each time you change around with the settings it messes up the performance, i.e you use default and get 9000 points in 3dmark 2006, then you change some settings and then change back to default and then you get 7000 points.

Yay for uninformed flame bait!

nekrosoft13
10-02-06, 11:29 AM

g80.

thank you, i always need a good laugh in the morning

toby77jo
10-02-06, 11:39 AM
please explain to me what is so wrong with what I am saying. I used to love nvidia until I got my 7950GX2, but now only problems with drivers, settings, sli modes etc.

If my statement was completely ****ed up please correct me and put your own statements?

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 11:58 AM

g80.

Unfortunately with the 7950 GX2 we are at the mercy of Nvidia putting out drivers that support new games. I am a bit worried since most Nvidia drivers are leaked betas. I would really like to see Nvidia move to a monthy WHQL or even official beta release like ATI does. From what I've played with trying to create a profile... they dont work. Even for new games, copying a profile may make the game work in SLI but performance is far from ok. NHL 07 needs to have vsync enabled still and TW 07 plays terrible even with a SFR profile. So even though we can create a profile, something isnt right. Just Cause is already supported and runs great - just none of the 07 EA Sports games are.

G80 is all speculation still so until we see hardware and some reviews I'd have to reserve my opinion on that.

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 11:59 AM
Yay for uninformed flame bait!

Read my post above... I kinda agree about the 7950 part...

nekrosoft13
10-02-06, 12:18 PM
i have gx2 also, i don't have a single problem with it.

i make my own profiles for new games/demos. its not hard

yehuda
10-02-06, 02:38 PM
I had to use my old radeon 9000 for a while after my 6800 died, and I knew I won't be going back to ATI. even setting simple things like my TV was a constant pain.
Above that, the 7950gx2 cost me less then a ati 1900/1950 (~$50 less).

I would just like to see some working fan speed control in the drivers, but other then that I love my new card.

And making/testing profiles is part of the fun :)

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 04:09 PM
i have gx2 also, i don't have a single problem with it.

i make my own profiles for new games/demos. its not hard

Of course it's not hard, read the above posts. ;) They don't do **** for performance. TW gets 25 FPS with a custom profile. Why does the X1900XTX still get 75 FPS same spot, same settings???

Its not a matter of making a profile - it's making the game work right with the drivers...

...and if you dont have a single issue with it, I suggest trying Tiger Woods 2007, performance is absymal at best. Oh yea, or try running NHL 2007 without vsync enabled? HAHA, doesnt work... stuck at the menu.

Sorry, my biggest peeve is people posting without reading all the posts in the thread. We all know about making profiles in the drivers, editing the xml file or using nHancer, etc - welcome to last week.

nekrosoft13
10-02-06, 04:47 PM
complain to EA, they are coding the game

all games you mentioned are from EA Sports, they simply don't know how to code.

their installer is a perfect example, when half EA games won't install complaining that you don't have DX9.0c, even if you have it

fatal1ty
10-02-06, 05:31 PM
complain to EA, they are coding the game

all games you mentioned are from EA Sports, they simply don't know how to code.

their installer is a perfect example, when half EA games won't install complaining that you don't have DX9.0c, even if you have it

I agree with you there.

However, these have always been TWIMTBP games, this year they aren't. AND...there is still no "official" support for them in NV drivers... imagine that :rolleyes: