PDA

View Full Version : So I buy an Xbox 360 today....

marqmajere
09-30-06, 04:39 AM
I decided to finally purchase a 360 system. I picked up the 360 premium pack and Chrome Hounds. The game I bought used but the system was brand new. Had everything hooked up and ready to go. Everything worked great. However. I see I only have 12GB free on my HD. What's that all about? Come to find out, it's loaded with music and videos. There's also a couple of marks on the top of the unit that I didn't notice earlier. I thought I had bought a brand new X360. The box was even sealed and the merchant had to tear off that little tab on the box to scan the UPC when I was there. Did I get someones return? Was it a refurb from MS? What should I do? On the one hand, I should be getting a new system, not someones return. On the other, the system is working fine and maybe I shouldn't tempt the fates. What would you do?

msxyz
09-30-06, 04:44 AM
Even if you clean everything that comes pre-installed in the HD, you'll still have about 14GB of space free. The remaining 6 GB are used as a cache to speed up loading and for the Xbox emulator.

marqmajere
09-30-06, 04:47 AM
So did your 360 come with a bunch of music preinstalled? I really dont like to think that I paid for a new system and ended up with a used one.

msxyz
09-30-06, 04:54 AM
Yep: a couple of promo videos, a song, a free Live arcade game (Hexic) and a few new avatars and themes for the dashboard.

Except for the Hexic game, everything else was deleted within the first 10 minutes of use of the hard disk :lol: If you don't want to keep anything you can reformat the drive from the menu.

marqmajere
09-30-06, 05:05 AM
Ok. I just saw about 30 songs on the HD and a few videos and I thought maybe I was getting the short end of the stick. Thanks for the input, msxyz. :)

six_storm
09-30-06, 10:35 AM
Yeah, mine came with a bunch of stuff on it, mainly crap. Now it's filled with saved games, d/led content and I dunno what else. Congrats on the purchase!

toxikneedle
09-30-06, 12:22 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that we will see a bigger HDD hit the market sometime around the holidays.

Peoples-Agent
09-30-06, 12:53 PM
I've still got over 12GB left and im always downloading stuff. If you keep up with maintaining it and delete old crap, your always seem to have plenty of space.

oldsk00l
09-30-06, 01:01 PM
Yeah mine came with quite a few songs preloaded and some HD videos. Congrats on the purchase, get on XBLive Marketplace and try out some of the awesome demos.

GamerGuyX
10-01-06, 01:16 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that we will see a bigger HDD hit the market sometime around the holidays.

I don't know man, X06 was the perfect chance for then to announce a bigger HDD.

BioHazZarD
10-01-06, 06:16 AM
No bigger harddrives will not be seen cause ive read an interview they said they talked about how an average gamer has not even filled his hd 50% and only thoose who have it almost full only represent a small %.

The only thing they will relase to christmas i belive is a 250mb memory card which i find very useless the 64mb do just fine for backup.

msxyz
10-01-06, 06:49 AM
Having purchased the Datel transfer kit, I can live with the 64Mb memory card. But indeed a bigger memory card would be very useful. I keep a full backup archieve of my saves.

toxikneedle
10-01-06, 12:32 PM
No bigger harddrives will not be seen cause ive read an interview they said they talked about how an average gamer has not even filled his hd 50% and only thoose who have it almost full only represent a small %.

The only thing they will relase to christmas i belive is a 250mb memory card which i find very useless the 64mb do just fine for backup.
Well they justified saying that because even if u download all of Marketplace content (back then) you still would have space left. That's not the case anymore, plus you may have some music on there as well. I believe there will be a bigger HDD for the same reason they announced 1080p, a HDDVD player...... to match the PS3.

The reason they didn't announce it at x06, I think, is because then people would be less willing to purchase a 20gb premium pack right now when a bigger HDD one will be coming out in a few months. Why would u wanna buy a 20gb version now, and have to buy a bigger HDD later and sell yours?

Quickstar
10-01-06, 02:53 PM
Well they justified saying that because even if u download all of Marketplace content (back then) you still would have space left. That's not the case anymore, plus you may have some music on there as well. I believe there will be a bigger HDD for the same reason they announced 1080p, a HDDVD player...... to match the PS3.

The reason they didn't announce it at x06, I think, is because then people would be less willing to purchase a 20gb premium pack right now when a bigger HDD one will be coming out in a few months. Why would u wanna buy a 20gb version now, and have to buy a bigger HDD later and sell yours?

Good point

ralinn
10-01-06, 04:15 PM
Even when buying a new 360 in the shops or online, you can still be buying a second hand one ^_^

My brother had an interview at one of the repair centers, they said that when they get a 360 in from someone and they can't find a problem with it, they'll box it back up and sell it as new.

Which is probably what happened to me. I send mine in to be repaired, they sent it back and it's in worse condition then it was. :(

oldsk00l
10-01-06, 06:32 PM
Yowza, that really suxX0r. The mfg date on mine is 4/06, so far none that I know of in this range have died. I'd consider making a special request.

evilchris
10-01-06, 09:50 PM
Even when buying a new 360 in the shops or online, you can still be buying a second hand one ^_^

My brother had an interview at one of the repair centers, they said that when they get a 360 in from someone and they can't find a problem with it, they'll box it back up and sell it as new.

Which is probably what happened to me. I send mine in to be repaired, they sent it back and it's in worse condition then it was. :(

That's illegal in most states. They are required to mark it as "factory refurbished". I'd report that ****.