PDA

View Full Version : Some Games Do not Show Up In Vista's Game Explorer

GamerGuyX
10-02-06, 06:08 PM
Does anybody know why certain games that I have installed on Vista do not show up in the Game Explorer? DOOM 3, Quake 4 work correctly and show the cover art and ESRB info correctly but other games don't show up at all.

jAkUp
10-02-06, 06:09 PM
Yea, games need to be specifically written to go into there. You can manually enter the shortcuts for other games.

Lego Star Wars 2 works great with it :D Most games do not.

saturnotaku
10-02-06, 06:49 PM
Does anybody know why certain games that I have installed on Vista do not show up in the Game Explorer? DOOM 3, Quake 4 work correctly and show the cover art and ESRB info correctly but other games don't show up at all.

But but but but...MiCoR$0Ft si keilling teh oPenGl so u must nt haev werking teh dOOm 3. HAHHAHAHA lUniX

Redeemed
10-02-06, 06:51 PM
But but but but...MiCoR$0Ft si keilling teh oPenGl so u must nt haev werking teh dOOm 3. HAHHAHAHA lUniX

:wtf:

GamerGuyX
10-02-06, 09:16 PM

I don't care for Linux so what does this have to do with me?

Yea, games need to be specifically written to go into there. You can manually enter the shortcuts for other games.

So how do you explain games like DOOM 3 getting put into Game Explorer?

crainger
10-02-06, 10:50 PM
I don't care for Linux so what does this have to do with me??

So how do you explain games like DOOM 3 getting put into Game Explorer?

I think it's much like CDDB, itunes and the like. It will just take time for older games to be added with their art and ratings. Until then I guess we will need to add shortcuts manually.

New games will most likely have their own details for game explorer installed during the game install.

GamerGuyX
10-03-06, 12:54 AM
I just downloaded the LEGO Star Wars II demo and it surprisingly did not show up in Game Explorer. This is especially surprising to me seeing as how jAkUp confirmed it working for him. Not to mention the fact that LEGO Star Wars II is a "Games for Windows" certified game. Maybe jAkUp owns the full version and that's why it worked...

Anyhow, the other "Games for Windows" certified game: Company of Heroes (demo also) did show up in Game Explorer.

crainger
10-03-06, 01:06 AM
I just downloaded the LEGO Star Wars II demo and it surprisingly did not show up in Game Explorer. This is especially surprising to me seeing as how jAkUp confirmed it working for him. Not to mention the fact that LEGO Star Wars II is a "Games for Windows" certified game. Maybe jAkUp owns the full version and that's why it worked...

Anyhow, the other "Games for Windows" certified game: Company of Heroes (demo also) did show up in Game Explorer.

I think it is full version only. Neither of the demos you tried work for me either, however the full versions of both work in Game Explorer. CoH seems to be launchable from Media Centre as well.

GamerGuyX
10-03-06, 01:47 AM
I think it is full version only. Neither of the demos you tried work for me either, however the full versions of both work in Game Explorer. CoH seems to be launchable from Media Centre as well.

Strange. CoH demo works correctly for me. :/

*Off topic*

Does anybody know how to create a new folder and have it look translucent (not beige) like the other main folders?

Click here to see what I mean:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6987/folderpichr9.png

crainger
10-03-06, 01:49 AM
Strange. CoH demo works correctly for me. :/

Different Builds of Vista?

I'm still running pre-rc1 on my vista test machine. My demo was also installed off a magazine's demo DVD.

GamerGuyX
10-03-06, 02:06 AM
Different Builds of Vista?

I'm still running pre-rc1 on my vista test machine. My demo was also installed off a magazine's demo DVD.

Yeah I'm running the newest build: 5728.

crainger
10-03-06, 02:20 AM
Yeah I'm running the newest build: 5728.

I just found Uplink Hacker Elite works fine with Game Explorer though it's not showing any content or performance ratings. Community and Support links work fine. I will have to try some others. If only Vista supported SLI then I could try it will other games on my main PC.

LycosV
10-03-06, 10:06 AM
Quite a few games work in there. I went through my games folder yesterday to see what worked in Vista w/o a reinstall and was surprised how many games showed up. Homeworld Cataclysm showed up so age has no real factor. :) Of course only the new games (Company of Heroes) show the PC rating requirements but it's cool that even older ones download cover art etc.

mullet
10-03-06, 01:14 PM
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34586

This week the Khronos group, which is responsible for developing and maintaining OpenGL, has released a report indicating that OpenGL support will now be natively supported in Vista without layering over Direct3D. Using standard Windows installable client driver (ICD), OpenGL will be fully accelerated and be fully compatible with Windows Vista's Aeroglass UI. In fact, Khronos says that by the time Windows Vista ships, Aeroglass performance on OpenGL will be superior to that of Direct3D. According to Khronos and NVIDIA:

mullet
10-03-06, 01:18 PM

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_games.asp
But what about legacy games (by which I mean every single game title released before September 2006)? It will depend on how they're installed. For most games, Games Explorer will typically display a shortcut automatically and grab the game's box art and ESRB rating, using an online service similar to that used by Windows Media Player to find album art for ripped CDs (Figure). This is important because you can then use Windows Vista's parental controls feature to determine which types of games your kids can play: One of the criteria you can configure is ESRB rating (Figure). However, these games won't provide WEI information unless they're updated by the manufacturer to support that feature.
For a few oddball games, however, this feature doesn't appear to work. One prominent example is Half-Life 2, which is installed via the proprietary Steam online service. Because of the way this and other similar games are installed, you'll have to manually drag a shortcut into Games Explorer. But when you do so, you don't even get an ESRB rating (Figure). So there are essentially three levels of games in Windows Vista: Those that are fully compatible with Games Explorer, those that are partially compatible, and those that are incompatible. (I guess one could make an argument for a fourth category as well: Those that will not install at all.)

Games Explorer also provides a handy front-end to various OS features that are related to gaming. From the Tools, menu, for example, you can access such useful things as the Hardware Control Panel, Display Devices, Input Devices, Audio Devices, Firewall, and Programs and Features (Figure). There's also a link to Parental Controls from the Games Explorer toolbar.

GamerGuyX
10-03-06, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that mullet.

OWA
10-03-06, 09:32 PM
Is there any way to create folders (sub-folders) in the game browser. I'd like to be able to organize my games but I don't see a way to create a folder.

Edit: Heh, nevermind, I was able to create one elsewhere and just drag it to game explorer window. That seemed to work okay.

GamerGuyX
10-04-06, 12:36 AM
Is there any way to create folders (sub-folders) in the game browser. I'd like to be able to organize my games but I don't see a way to create a folder.

Edit: Heh, nevermind, I was able to create one elsewhere and just drag it to game explorer window. That seemed to work okay.

Just in case anybody missed my question the first time, I'll ask it again.

Does anybody know how to create a new folder and have it look blueish green translucent (not beige) like the other main folders?

Click here to see what I mean:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/1337_GamerGuyX/folder_pic.png

LycosV
10-04-06, 09:40 AM
I think that the blue folders are specific to the special folders under your user folder. I don't think that you can make new blue ones because it's just to denote that they're default special ones. Kind of like how favorites showed up as a star in XP.