PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Operating Systems

aslevelictguy
10-03-06, 10:00 AM
I have Windows XP installed on my computer,

I have heard about having multiple OSs installed and a program that allows you to choose which one you want to load up at boot,

is this true?
where can i find this?
Am i safe to install my Windows 95 without losing XP, so i can switch between the two in the future?
Anyone done this before?

thanks alot for any help

Ryan
:captnkill:

OWA
10-04-06, 05:54 PM
There are lots of them and unfortunately, I haven't used any of them so I can't really make a recommendation. Just use google and search for "boot manager". It'll provide several links to freeware/shareware versions. I think linux also comes with a boot manager that is supposed to be pretty good. Anyway, hopefully someone can provide a recommendation.

Oh, XP might provide a simple boot manager but I believe Win95 would have to be installed first and then XP for it to work.

crainger
10-04-06, 06:07 PM
There are lots of them and unfortunately, I haven't used any of them so I can't really make a recommendation. Just use google and search for "boot manager". It'll provide several links to freeware/shareware versions. I think linux also comes with a boot manager that is supposed to be pretty good. Anyway, hopefully someone can provide a recommendation.

Oh, XP might provide a simple boot manager but I believe Win95 would have to be installed first and then XP for it to work.

Yep to use the XP one, you would need 95 installed first.

fafreeman
10-10-06, 12:44 PM
You can use Grub and Lilo to boot from multi OSes.

stncttr908
10-11-06, 07:54 PM
You can use Grub and Lilo to boot from multi OSes.
Yep. Grub is great!

GlowStick
10-11-06, 07:58 PM
Yeah there are alot of free ones out there that are complicated and rediculously hard to setup. However Acronis has a product that is easy to use and works with alot of os's.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

It costs money but it sure is nice to have imho.

supra
10-11-06, 08:25 PM
yeah i say use the xp one. like crainger said. just install the older windows first.

theres tons of tutorials on the web. just google "dual booting"

DataMatrix
10-11-06, 08:37 PM
You can use VMware Workstation to run a virtual computer inside Windows XP.

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/