PDA

View Full Version : BAck Up power SUpply

Bearclaw
10-03-06, 06:40 PM
I am looking to buy one and don't know too much on them. What is it when it says 1000 UVA? There are all different UVA and stuff, is higher better? Also, does anyone have one that is a good one they would reccomend?

Roadhog
10-03-06, 06:54 PM
higher is better.

Xion X2
10-03-06, 11:14 PM
What will you be using it for? How much power do you need? etc.

Bearclaw
10-03-06, 11:38 PM
What will you be using it for? How much power do you need? etc.
I want something that I can just have hooked up for when the power goes out. It happens at leats once a week at my school. As far as how much power, that one Extreme PSU Calculator that is in one of these thread ssays I have about 260 watts. My specs are in my sig. This would be jusy for mny rig. Nothing else.

einstein_314
10-04-06, 12:15 AM
Well, I have a belkin one...rated at 800W. And I've had no problems with it what so ever. Mind you, the power has never actually gone off since I bought it. But the power does flicker and dip all the time...and it doesn't affect my computer. And I can unplug it from the wall and the computer continues working...I think APC is a popular brand. I've had several experiences with them and they were all good.

crainger
10-04-06, 12:35 AM
I have an old one from work.

First time the power went off I LOL'd coz my PC stayed on and my gf's went off. 2 seconds later my PC went off too. Battery must be shot in it :(

rudedog
10-04-06, 05:59 AM
base line info on UPSs

if you max your VA rating your only going to get 3-5 minutes or run time. Meaning a 400VA rating UPS with a PC/Monitor and printer that is running durning a power outage equals 400VA, your only going to get 3-5 minutes of run time. Normal people only need this, so they can safely save what they where doing and shut their PCs down, others want to be able to keep using them during a power outage...get a generator if you want to do that

Most if not all UPSs have surge protection and AVR (automatic voltage regulation) built in, AVR is for those times you don't loose power but you experience a prolonged brownout (decrease in voltage over a long period of time) long period of time for voltage is anything over a second

Not all UPSs are created equal

UPS batteries last from 3 - 5 years/ 3 years when your install the UPS in a room or cabinet that has no air flow, high temps, high humidity or it constantly keeps going to battery....5 years is it's normal life expectancy.

You should also keep in mind that not only is run time important as is sizing but how long does it take to fully charge back up when the power returns.

Do not plug laser printers, coffee makers, vacuums, lamps, and any other high device that is not crucial during a power outage into the UPS.

Just like a normal power supply for your PC, the cheapest is not always the best.

Bearclaw
10-04-06, 01:26 PM
base line info on UPSs

if you max your VA rating your only going to get 3-5 minutes or run time. Meaning a 400VA rating UPS with a PC/Monitor and printer that is running durning a power outage equals 400VA, your only going to get 3-5 minutes of run time. Normal people only need this, so they can safely save what they where doing and shut their PCs down, others want to be able to keep using them during a power outage...get a generator if you want to do that

Most if not all UPSs have surge protection and AVR (automatic voltage regulation) built in, AVR is for those times you don't loose power but you experience a prolonged brownout (decrease in voltage over a long period of time) long period of time for voltage is anything over a second

Not all UPSs are created equal

UPS batteries last from 3 - 5 years/ 3 years when your install the UPS in a room or cabinet that has no air flow, high temps, high humidity or it constantly keeps going to battery....5 years is it's normal life expectancy.

You should also keep in mind that not only is run time important as is sizing but how long does it take to fully charge back up when the power returns.

Do not plug laser printers, coffee makers, vacuums, lamps, and any other high device that is not crucial during a power outage into the UPS.

Just like a normal power supply for your PC, the cheapest is not always the best.

Thanks alot.

J-Mag
10-04-06, 01:32 PM
I bought a UPS a couple years ago and not once have I needed it. Then again I live in a good climate with very little storm activity.

Bearclaw
10-04-06, 03:39 PM
I bought a UPS a couple years ago and not once have I needed it. Then again I live in a good climate with very little storm activity.
I would normally never need one. My house has never had a power outtage. However, the town where my college is in it goes out when it is a beautiful day out. It goes out at leats once a week.

J-Mag
10-04-06, 04:01 PM
I would normally never need one. My house has never had a power outtage. However, the town where my college is in it goes out when it is a beautiful day out. It goes out at leats once a week.

Actually I lied...

I was getting some weird toroid buzzing noises a while back so I switch my PSU cable direct to the wall to test if that made a difference.

Turns out I plugged it into the outlet controlled by a wall switch. Then My dumbass wanders over to turn off the light and instead i turned off my rig...