PDA

View Full Version : Is my CPU holding back my GPU?

Maleku
10-04-06, 07:26 AM
Hi Fellas,

I just upgraded to a 7950gx2 and was wondering if my AMD 3700+ might be holding it back. Running 2 gigs of RAM btw.

On FEAR I get the following FPS (maxed out at 1680 x 1050)

Min: 37
Avg: 67
Max: 172

I'm not so concerned about FEAR but on Oblivion (completely maxed out settings at 1680 x 1050) I get a low of 22 a high of 54 with the lower being in the outdoors. Am I expecting too much or would a CPU upgraded unlock some more FPS?

Many Thanks in Advance

CaptNKILL
10-04-06, 07:37 AM
your videocard is holding you back...

f.e.a.r. and oblivion are gpu limited games...

wait for g80 or r600.
With Oblivion it depends the situation.

I've hit extreme lows in CPU and GPU limited areas. For a decent boost in the CPU limited areas (in cities or around lots of NPCs, especially in battle) you'd probably need a rather expensive dual core CPU to notice a difference over a 3700+. I didnt notice a real significant difference going from a 3000+ single core @ 2.5Ghz to a 4200+ dual core at 2.5Ghz. I think an overclocked Intel Conroe is pretty much the only thing thats going to help speed up Oblivion's CPU limited areas right now. And even then I wouldnt expect it to be totaly smooth all the time.

I think FEAR is pretty much all GPU though, especially with all of the graphics settings maxed.

Maleku
10-04-06, 07:57 AM
Thanks alot fellas. Sounds like I'll just stick with my current CPU. For Oblivion are there any particular settings you might recommend toning down to improve FPS while still having the game look great?

Xion X2
10-04-06, 01:08 PM
Thanks alot fellas. Sounds like I'll just stick with my current CPU. For Oblivion are there any particular settings you might recommend toning down to improve FPS while still having the game look great?

In the ini file for Oblivion, under the grass settings, increase your grass density to 110. This will thin-out some of that excess grass that takes a huge hit in performance.