PDA

View Full Version : Pay for Madden 07 tutorial videos

msxyz
10-05-06, 05:30 AM
Taken from http://www.joystiq.com/

Electronic Arts released today a set of video strategy guides for NCAA 07 Football and Madden NFL 07 over Xbox Live. Each five-minute tutorial costs 160 MS points ($2.00) and covers either Running, Passing, Run Defense, or Pass Defense.

While $2.00 is relatively cheap, a tutorial is a feature of the game that should be included when you buy it, especially at $60. On top of that, tutorials (video and otherwise) are available all over the internet for the low, low price of nil (...)

We decided to try one of the videos out, purchasing a Passing strategy guide for Madden NFL 07. The 246.34 MB downloaded provided little that would help our game. The video depicts a series of in-game passes with the occasional overhead view; once or twice arrows and yellow circles were used to highlight a player but it did not complement the announcer. To understand the voice-over commentary, it is assumed that you have a good grasp on formation and position terminology. (...) then again, if you are well-versed in football slang, you will likely learn nothing new anyways.

In defence of EA, I can only say... if people still buy the marketing traps and the shovelware EA sells then they get what they deserve. EA, from a business point of view, is just doing the right thing: milking suckers. :p

Lfctony
10-05-06, 05:51 AM
To boldly milk how no other company has milked before...

Namrok
10-05-06, 06:13 AM
Man, I've had a hatred of EA for so long now, and everything they do just affirms it. I haven't bought a single one of their games since I can't even recall when. Perhaps Dungeon Keeper 2. And I fully plan to keep this up.

My head might explode when Spore comes out. Spore is awesome, but I can't support EA, but Spore is awesome, but--:banghead:

LycosV
10-05-06, 09:03 AM
This is just an extension of strategy guides. Every game company (not just EA) lately has made it their mission to not give you a good manual, but instead put all the really important information in a strategy guide that they sell seperate from the game. It drives me freakin' nuts!

ENU291
10-05-06, 09:16 AM
We are all witnessing the evolution of the Xbox Live Market Place.

saturnotaku
10-05-06, 09:23 AM
We are all witnessing the evolution of the Xbox Live Market Place.

For better or worse, this is indeed the case.

Connaught
10-05-06, 11:15 AM
Wonder if these videos will be anything like the videos in Smack down vs RAW
demo...those were useful...but no worth paying for...

Zelda_fan
10-05-06, 12:20 PM
To boldly milk how no other company has milked before...

QFT

brady
10-05-06, 02:57 PM
Wow. I think EA should just start building game engine code only. Then you go home put your "engine code" dvd into your xbox or playstation and then you have the option of buying assets for the engine you bought. If you buy enough assets you could then play a game. I figure they could sell the engine code dvd for $50 (a little less then a full game of course) and then each asset (gun, box, player model, ect...) would be $2.00 and game levels would be $10.00. Of course to add the online code to your engine and assets would cost an additional $15.00 a month.

I'll bet they could rake it that way. Maybe I'll send my idea to them and see what they think...

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that game assets don't come textured. Textures cost extra. Probably something like $0.25 for every 1000 pixels, you know cuz some textures are bigger then others.

hordaktheman
10-05-06, 06:17 PM
I've always felt that the ultimate low is when a celebrity charges his fans for an autograph.

EA just reached that low.

LycosV
10-05-06, 06:43 PM
Wow. I think EA should just start building game engine code only. Then you go home put your "engine code" dvd into your xbox or playstation and then you have the option of buying assets for the engine you bought. If you buy enough assets you could then play a game. I figure they could sell the engine code dvd for $50 (a little less then a full game of course) and then each asset (gun, box, player model, ect...) would be $2.00 and game levels would be $10.00. Of course to add the online code to your engine and assets would cost an additional $15.00 a month.

I'll bet they could rake it that way. Maybe I'll send my idea to them and see what they think...

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that game assets don't come textured. Textures cost extra. Probably something like $0.25 for every 1000 pixels, you know cuz some textures are bigger then others.

Wait, I thought that's what steam was?

Zelda_fan
10-05-06, 10:25 PM
I've always felt that the ultimate low is when a celebrity charges his fans for an autograph.

EA just reached that low.

I have NEVER heard of a celebrity doing that.

hordaktheman
10-06-06, 06:10 AM
I have NEVER heard of a celebrity doing that.
What do you do when popularity fades and you have a coke habit to support? You start improvising. The 40+ year old rock stars from the 80s have to do something, and those are just some of the examples I know about.

Fuku2
10-06-06, 08:57 AM
What do you do when popularity fades and you have a coke habit to support? You start improvising. The 40+ year old rock stars from the 80s have to do something, and those are just some of the examples I know about.

We need names.

hordaktheman
10-06-06, 09:01 AM
We need names.
Detailed list (www.the_internet.com)

jAkUp
10-08-06, 12:27 AM
Detailed list (www.the_internet.com)

hahaha