PDA

View Full Version : Which Socket?

DiscipleDOC
10-05-06, 04:15 PM
Hey fellas,
Help a brotha out. Within the next month, I'm gonna start back up my hardware *****dom. I'm gonna go all out and get another gaming system. So, which mobo should I get? I want to stick with AMD, and preferrably nforce.

What say you?

Sazar
10-05-06, 04:21 PM
Socket AM2 I spose, unless you wanna stick with 939?

DiscipleDOC
10-05-06, 04:27 PM
Socket AM2 I spose, unless you wanna stick with 939?
I don't know....I want to have a board that's gonna still be around for at least 6 months...

Sazar
10-05-06, 04:42 PM
It'll be around as long as you use it.

If k8l introduces a new board (and it will, eventually), I am gonna switch then to that or a kentsfield based config on any new socket they come up with for memory management.

You could wait a little longer to see whats up with the 4x4 boards.

sabersix1
10-05-06, 05:04 PM
I would go with the NF 680i for Intel Conroe as it will run Dual-Coe and Quad Core Both. It is is supposed to have a nice FSB of at least 500+MHz and will probably have native DDR2-800MHz support. But that's just me.:D

lduguay
10-06-06, 08:17 AM
I don't know....I want to have a board that's gonna still be around for at least 6 months...
Socket-F FX is coming Q4'06
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77654

Tr1cK
10-06-06, 08:30 AM
I think AM2 will be around for a while, probably longer than Intels 775. Either way, you will have to invest in some nice DDR2 which is what kept me from upgrading for now. I got a hella-good deal on my RAM not too long ago.

The CPU market is in a transitional stage for AMD right now. I would advise throwing an overclock on your current system, getting a dx10 card like the Geforce 8800 in a month, and just sitting on what you have for a little while longer until AMD has the K8L out.

I'm anxious to see AMDs new platform in comparison to the Core 2 Duo. I always go with the best price/performance setup I can. It's just been all AMD the past few years.

Xion X2
10-06-06, 01:28 PM
If I were you and had to spend money on a mobo, memory, and processor anyway.. I would go Conroe. You're going to spend around the same amount, anyway. I wouldn't go AMD at this point in the game; they're getting their @sses slaughtered right now. For around the same price, you could have a Conroe system that'll spank it.

Heinz68
10-07-06, 12:31 AM
If I were you and had to spend money on a mobo, memory, and processor anyway.. I would go Conroe. You're going to spend around the same amount, anyway. I wouldn't go AMD at this point in the game; they're getting their @sses slaughtered right now. For around the same price, you could have a Conroe system that'll spank it.WOW that is a HUGE turnaround, up to recently you were preaching that there is absolutely no need for Conroe at least for now.

Anyway it's great to see that at least for once you're able to change your mind so fast if justified and congratulation on your new system.

I also agree the best way is to go Conroe if complete system upgrading at least for now.

My PC budget for this year is limited to large widescreen LCD and next generation DX10 card upgrade so I see the advice by "Tr1cK" (post 7) also reasonable. I might wait even longer for the graphic card upgrade to be able to compare the NVIDIA cards with ATI new generation cards, probably not coming out till early next year.

DataMatrix
10-07-06, 09:16 AM
If you want to save money and keep your current ram, and keep the good timings of DDR, then go with the A8N32-SLi Deluxe or the cheaper A8N-SLi Premium. If you don't mind buying new ram, and want more bandwidth than timings, then go with the M2N32-SLi Deluxe.

lightman
10-07-06, 09:47 AM
I want to stick with AMD, and preferrably nforce.

Just to know, why ? (I'm not flaming, I'm just curious)

Xion X2
10-08-06, 12:12 PM
WOW that is a HUGE turnaround, up to recently you were preaching that there is absolutely no need for Conroe at least for now.

Anyway it's great to see that at least for once you're able to change your mind so fast if justified and congratulation on your new system.

"At least for once?" You're a funny little man.

I didn't change my mind on anything. If the guy is going to be buying a mobo/memory anyway, then it makes no sense to buy an AMD system at this point, because it will cost just as much as a Conroe system and will be outdated much, much sooner.

Truthfully, there is no need for Conroe at this point, but that is only because the trend of software lags behind the hardware. AMD 939 is holding up just fine for now, but once the software out there plays catchup there will definitely be a need for Conroe in the future--especially when DX10 gets rolling. The benchmarks that have been run on both systems side by side show this to be the case.

Knowing this, and also wanting a 2nd computer in my house, I went ahead and purchased another system. And it made no sense to go AMD when Conroe is the better performer by a significant margin and runs around the same price.

A little research will reveal all of the above to be common sense.