PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2142 Demo Now Out!

Pages : [1] 2

Bman212121
10-06-06, 11:18 AM
It's now officially out on gamespot, but you may want to look around cause it's slow as everything.

http://www.gamespot.com/demos/battlefield2142/index.php

Gamershell FTW! http://www.gamershell.com/download_15855.shtml

shungokusatsu
10-06-06, 11:46 AM
Gamershell (http://www.gamershell.com/download_15855.shtml) is going at 600k for me :D

stncttr908
10-07-06, 12:01 PM
Is their server browser still a piece of junk?

Edge
10-07-06, 01:56 PM
Supposedly it's improved. Whether that means it's reached the status of "good" is still unknown to me since I'm still in the process of downloading it.

If anyone wants a fast, no lines, resumable place to get it from, Yahoo Games is oddly a very good place to download demos from: http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=486062

CaptNKILL
10-07-06, 02:31 PM
Even if its alright in the demo, chances are itl be FUBAR after the game has been out for a month. Thats how it usually goes with these games. "If it aint broke, break everything and then slowly fix things until the sequel is ready." Thats the DICE way. :p

Bman212121
10-07-06, 02:50 PM
Even if its alright in the demo, chances are itl be FUBAR after the game has been out for a month. Thats how it usually goes with these games. "If it aint broke, break everything and then slowly things until the sequel is ready." Thats the DICE way. :p

Actually I think they already F*ed it up pretty good. It is quite a bit different than the beta, but now it looks more like they stole a bunch of crap out of other games and stuck it in this one.

The tutorial movie screams UT2k4, the cars now have nos, and the rest is BF2 reskinned. I wasn't impressed yet but I haven't played that much. I don't think it's going to run good until a get a 8800GTX. The game is choppy and looks like crap on my 6800GT so I'm at the point of screwed. I'll prolly just stick to a little BF2 here and there instead.

Quickstar
10-07-06, 02:56 PM
Actually I think they already F*ed it up pretty good. It is quite a bit different than the beta, but now it looks more like they stole a bunch of crap out of other games and stuck it in this one.

The tutorial movie screams UT2k4, the cars now have nos, and the rest is BF2 reskinned. I wasn't impressed yet but I haven't played that much. I don't think it's going to run good until a get a 8800GTX. The game is choppy and looks like crap on my 6800GT so I'm at the point of screwed. I'll prolly just stick to a little BF2 here and there instead.

Thats strange, you have a nice setup. What resolution are you running at? I have a similar setup but i turn the resolution down to 1024x768 with everything high and its really smooth.

BTW, the graphics are just bad regardless of how high you set everything.

brownstone
10-07-06, 03:40 PM
Runs great on my 7900gtx....but so it should being just the same bf2 engine. All settings maxed with 1680x1050 res.

I stopped playing BF2 weeks after release because of ****ty server browser, crashes, no patches etc.

Things I have noticed are that the server browser is much smoother and loading times are a lot quicker.

I still have sound crackling issues with the menu music. Shadows still look like crap on my Nvidia previously looked like crap in BF2 with an ATI card.

The futuristic weapons and vehicles are pretty nice looking. Like the launch pods and titan mode is a cool idea. Running on to the ship trying to destroy the consoles etc. kinda reminds me of star wars.

The environment overall is pretty bland though.

Some dislikes with the demo are the disconnects that keep taking place that a lot of ppl are having. Really annoying when you are almost finished destroying the titan then get a random disconnect from EA's master server or you just lose connection.

I have heard this happens frequent with BF2.

It also sucks there is no widescreen support which EA feels is to much advantage. If I lowered my res to 800x600 wouldn't I have better aim at the large objects on my screen compared to 1920x1200 lol. What about surround speakers? All other FPS lately support WS dammit!

It does kinda seem like a mod instead of a new game. Well not sure if im gonna grab this game or not. Haven't been a fan of EA games since BF2. Might get it to play till Quake Wars. Was reading some QW stuff and they have done new improvements to the doom3 engine as far as soft shadows and terrain texture placement (forget what they call it). Not really a fan of the doom3 engine look in past game but hopefully it will look fresh with awesome gameplay.

Shocky
10-07-06, 04:50 PM
Is widescreen working properly with this?

spawn
10-07-06, 04:55 PM
the whole game is crap
using the handweapons is like playing lottery, thEAy still have learned nothing
the game is overpriced and i donīt like the bull**** with the free weapons for preorder and so on.
i wonīt buy, i will play POE2 still ET:QW comes out

SH64
10-07-06, 06:06 PM
Dedicated Demo Server Available
http://www.worthdownloading.com/download.php?gid=1825&id=8940

SH64
10-07-06, 06:11 PM
If anyone wants a fast, no lines, resumable place to get it from, Yahoo Games is oddly a very good place to download demos from: http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=486062

Thanks for the linky Edge .. thats what i needed! :thumbsup:

Shocky
10-07-06, 06:40 PM
Well I don't see any widescreen support again but I like the game, its allot of fun to play.. But I never did the like BF2 or BF1942, thought they were pretty dull but this is different and like it.. (nana2)

knghtwhosaysni
10-07-06, 07:00 PM
I do kinda like this, but I have no idea why they wouldn't include a 1280x1024 resolution...

stncttr908
10-07-06, 07:13 PM
i wonīt buy, i will play POE2 still ET:QW comes out
Right on! :captnkill:

nutcrackr
10-07-06, 07:40 PM
I like it, I can see lots of potential with unlocks. I will probably buy it or preorder it.

Aphot
10-07-06, 08:09 PM
fun so far, I might be buying this

Edge
10-07-06, 08:33 PM
Hmm, from the short time I've played I actually thought it was kinda fun. Although it bugs me that it seems so limited in the demo, can you not have accessory items unless you go up a rank or something? It really kinda sucks just having the default equipment since there's not much you can do with the standard loadout except run around and shoot anything that moves.

Server browser is improved, it's quite a bit faster than BF2's at least. I didn't mind the feel of the guns, although some certainly need tweaking and others feel simply like reskinned BF2 guns. Titan mode is interesting enough, and the mechs aren't too bad. However performance was very poor for me (on high with a 6800 the game seemed to chug between 20 and 30 FPS, dipping into what seemed like single-digits at times), and despite the flashy futuristic setting, it still feels a lot like BF2.

If this were a mod for BF2 I would be praising it up and down. As a retail game, I have to say it doesn't really seem worth it. I MIGHT pick it up when it drops to $20 or so (maybe I'll wait until $15), but no way I would pay $50 for it when I already have BF2.

Greg
10-07-06, 10:15 PM
After watching a rather long preview movie a while back with commentary, I was quite enthusastic about trying this game. After playing the demo for a few rounds I lost my enthusaism. I'll try some more later, but what I think I really want is more BF2 with a few improvements. The game does feel like a nothing special mod. Perhaps the next Enemy Territory will be more exciting.

UDawg
10-07-06, 10:21 PM
Hmm, from the short time I've played I actually thought it was kinda fun. Although it bugs me that it seems so limited in the demo, can you not have accessory items unless you go up a rank or something? It really kinda sucks just having the default equipment since there's not much you can do with the standard loadout except run around and shoot anything that moves.

Server browser is improved, it's quite a bit faster than BF2's at least. I didn't mind the feel of the guns, although some certainly need tweaking and others feel simply like reskinned BF2 guns. Titan mode is interesting enough, and the mechs aren't too bad. However performance was very poor for me (on high with a 6800 the game seemed to chug between 20 and 30 FPS, dipping into what seemed like single-digits at times), and despite the flashy futuristic setting, it still feels a lot like BF2.

If this were a mod for BF2 I would be praising it up and down. As a retail game, I have to say it doesn't really seem worth it. I MIGHT pick it up when it drops to $20 or so (maybe I'll wait until $15), but no way I would pay $50 for it when I already have BF2.
I agree E. You cannot tell how good this game will be because there are only 3 classes and all but the primary equipments are locked.

CaptNKILL
10-07-06, 10:30 PM
Right on! :captnkill:
:thumbsup:

PoE2 is still great.

I had an absolutely infuriating game last night because my team wasnt very good and the other team had a lot of excellent pilots (same issue with any game) but the good rounds in PoE2 come much more often than they do in most other games.

If you have BF2 and you like that style of game, download PoE2 mod. Its great. :thumbsup:

UDawg
10-07-06, 11:08 PM
what the hell is poe2?

stncttr908
10-07-06, 11:16 PM
what the hell is poe2?
Point of Existence, a full mod for BF2. The original mod was for BF:V.

http://www.pointofexistence.com/

Much better than the original game IMO.

CaptNKILL
10-07-06, 11:45 PM
what the hell is poe2?
Go back to the P&R forum.

:D

fugu_fish
10-08-06, 07:14 AM
It's kind of fun.. Very derivative though. Reminds me of Tribes/UT2004/ SW Battlefront. Everyone who said it felt like a BF2 mod was right.
It's kind of tough to really get a feel because so many weapons aren't available.

The guns are kind of bland.. I want ray guns in the future!
Still plagued by disconnection issues..

Definitely in a holding pattern, waiting on reviews, etc...

You can get widescreen rez just like BF2.
I.E. paste: +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050 in the shortcut.
The HUD doesn't seem stretched because the reticles are round.

Anyone know how to get rid of the preview slide show between map loads?