PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of the non-Ultra GeForce FX?


Darth Rancid
02-20-03, 02:21 AM
Are there any reviews of the non-ULTRA GF FX out there?...

Smokey
02-20-03, 04:42 AM
Anandtech did a preview/review of both cards, you can look at that HERE (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1779)

Darth Rancid
02-20-03, 07:47 AM
Nice...

Or something. :)

kyleb
02-20-03, 09:25 AM
that was actualy just an under****ed ultra for used for the benchmarks if i recall correctly, granted best we can figure that is what the standard 5800 is.

Moose
02-20-03, 09:42 AM
I am really looking forward to the day when we can see an unbiased review that compares the GFFX Ultra and GFFX with the OCSystem Enhanced ATI 9700+ Pro and the R9700 pro.

All the reviews we've seen so far only compare Nvidia's overclocked limited release to ATI's stock card.

I think it is only fair that overclocked cards be compared against other overclocked cards.

Of course Nvidia will actually have to ship their products for this to happen and by then the R350 may be out.

Still would be nice to see a fair comparison though.

kyleb
02-20-03, 10:41 AM
or even just try to overclock a 9700 to make it somewhat fair. heck mine goes clocks up more that the 10% lead the fx has genrealy anyway, and not only is it stock cooling but its does worse than many others i have seen with stock cooling. between that and the beta drivers and some of the realy odd settings cards were compared at i realy wonder what was in the contracts the reviewers signed inorder to lay their hands on an fx in the first place. i mean it is obvious that nvidia can work all the much harder to make the next product that much beter if they just quit wasteing time hideing what the current one already is.

Darth Rancid
02-21-03, 02:29 AM
The thing I find strange is that all GFFX reviews seem to be of the ULTRA model, which, according to many sources, and not contered by nVidia, won't make it to store-shelves...

StealthHawk
02-21-03, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rancid
The thing I find strange is that all GFFX reviews seem to be of the ULTRA model, which, according to many sources, and not contered by nVidia, won't make it to store-shelves...

at the time of the reviews the gfFX was not "canned." it became canned after public reaction based on the reviews. although you could make the argument that nvidia knew all along that the gfFXUltra wouldn't cut it and were just stalling.

fantomas
02-21-03, 05:28 AM
i didnt think there was any reviews, only previews. Lots of websites with the same old pic's of the cute fairy and the shiny truck. When I see some reviews I will feel a lot more informed. Questions like how far you can overclock this puppy will be answered. :)

Lezmaka
02-21-03, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by fantomas
i didnt think there was any reviews, only previews. Lots of websites with the same old pic's of the cute fairy and the shiny truck. When I see some reviews I will feel a lot more informed. Questions like how far you can overclock this puppy will be answered. :)

You mean like this http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDIxLDY= ?

Smokey
02-21-03, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Lezmaka
You mean like this http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDIxLDY= ?

No, me thinks he means reviews using "retail" cards ;)

I am really looking forward to the day when we can see an unbiased review that compares the GFFX Ultra and GFFX with the OCSystem Enhanced ATI 9700+ Pro and the R9700 pro.

Stop smoking the funny stuff :p

Isnt the 9700 Pro just a highend 9700 :) as is the GF-FXUltra a highend GF-FX :POKE:

Moose
02-21-03, 07:49 AM
Isnt the 9700 Pro just a highend 9700 :) as is the GF-FXUltra a highend GF-FX :POKE:

No, its not.

Both the R9700pro and R9700 are being produced in huge quantities with standard coolers on them. The overclocked R9700 versions are only available in limited quantities and require extreme cooling solutions in this case a heatpipe with NO fan.
You can also buy any of them right now.

The GFFX will be produced in big quantities and have standard cooling. The GFFX Ultra is an overclocked card with a limited run and will the most extreme cooling system ever seen (or heard) on a video card. As far as I know you can't buy any of these cards yet.


What bothers me most is the totally obvious "bait and switch" tactic. The overclocked cards are getting previewed and showcased as better than the R9700pro while they only intend to really sell the non ultra version.

Smokey
02-21-03, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Moose
No, its not.

Both the R9700pro and R9700 are being produced in huge quantities with standard coolers on them. The overclocked R9700 versions are only available in limited quantities and require extreme cooling solutions in this case a heatpipe with NO fan.
You can also buy any of them right now.

The GFFX will be produced in big quantities and have standard cooling. The GFFX Ultra is an overclocked card with a limited run and will the most extreme cooling system ever seen (or heard) on a video card. As far as I know you can't buy any of these cards yet.


What bothers me most is the totally obvious "bait and switch" tactic. The overclocked cards are getting previewed and showcased as better than the R9700pro while they only intend to really sell the non ultra version.

You missed the point :p

Nvidia make the chipsets, and they are making 2 different chipsets, GF-FX and the GF-FX Ultra, just like ATI make the 9700 and 9700 Pro, 2 different chipsets.

My Titian3 is an OC gf3, Nvidia didnt make the chipset OC, the board maker did, just like the OCd 9700 PRo. But in saying that, there is no reason why people cant bench the OCd 9700 Pro vs the GF-FX Ultra as it is the fastest 9700 Pro, just like my Titan3 was the fastest GF3.
Did you watch the GF-FX launch? Well it was stated that the card was going to be 500/500 card, and it was called the GF-FX, no Ultra in the name ;)

gravioli
02-21-03, 10:35 AM
I saw this (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=270840) at Futuremark. I hope this isn't the best the GFX can muster. :confused:

Sazar
02-21-03, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
You missed the point :p

Nvidia make the chipsets, and they are making 2 different chipsets, GF-FX and the GF-FX Ultra, just like ATI make the 9700 and 9700 Pro, 2 different chipsets.

My Titian3 is an OC gf3, Nvidia didnt make the chipset OC, the board maker did, just like the OCd 9700 PRo. But in saying that, there is no reason why people cant bench the OCd 9700 Pro vs the GF-FX Ultra as it is the fastest 9700 Pro, just like my Titan3 was the fastest GF3.
Did you watch the GF-FX launch? Well it was stated that the card was going to be 500/500 card, and it was called the GF-FX, no Ultra in the name ;)

um.. the 9700pro came to the market before any of the other parts... the 9700non-pro uses cheaper memory which clocks lower and is cheaper to sell as well allowing ati to target a lower price point... well not exactly... ati only produces PRO boards themselves (As do their partners) but the non-pro boards are ONLY Produced by thier partners....

the gf FX original specs are the specs of the 5800... the ULTRA is obviously a highly overclocked version of the card...

silence
02-21-03, 12:37 PM
i would really like to see review of non-ultra version........

why in the world nvidia didn't send to reviewers any non-ultra FX,i mean those will prolly be only FX chips out there??

are they so slow or maybe difference between ultra and non-ultra isn't that big?what ya think?

kyleb
02-21-03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by gravioli
I saw this (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=270840) at Futuremark. I hope this isn't the best the GFX can muster. :confused:

i hope not either, especialy considering that top scoreing fx is even useing the questionable 42.86 drivers which were dissused here:

futremark forums (http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=mo3dmark03&Number=1837817&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1)

Moose
02-21-03, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
You missed the point :p



No I haven't.


It is totally obvious to anyone that the GFFX Ultra is way overclocked and it only being produced in very limited numbers so that it can regain the performance crown from ATI.

Smokey
02-21-03, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Moose
No I haven't.


It is totally obvious to anyone that the GFFX Ultra is way overclocked and it only being produced in very limited numbers so that it can regain the performance crown from ATI.

When the GF-FX was announced, the specs where 500/500, no other card or specs were given.

Sazar, I think you will find that the non ultra has slower memory also, as in , not the same ;)

Grrrpoop
02-22-03, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Smokey
Isnt the 9700 Pro just a highend 9700 :) as is the GF-FXUltra a highend GF-FX :POKE:
You can overclock the 9700pro by more than 100Mhz (and I've seen one guy take his up to 492Mhz).

How much can u overclock a GFFX Ultra by? :rolleyes:

To me, the inability of the review sites to achieve an appreciable overclock on the Ultra simply shows that it really is just an overclocked non-Ultra.

The 9700pro has plenty of headroom, even using a stock cooler. The 9700non-pro is substancially cheaper.

Atm, the Gainward GFFX non-pro is being advertised at around 330 making it more expensive than a Sapphire 9700 Pro Ultimate Ed (Zalman style silent cooling).

I know which one I'd go for..

Maybe nVidia did intend to hit 500Mhz, but something went wrong if they have to use such excessive cooling to get there.

silence
02-22-03, 05:17 AM
maybe they wanted to hit 500,but couldn't,so they overclocked.

i mean take a look at ultra....it's something that looks like "my first overclock" manual.
one more thing....they also downclocked quadro >> looks like they have way too many trouble with their cards.
i wonder what clock speed will be on gainward golden sample FX ultra and will there be possibility to OC it >> that will indicate alot,knowing what usually golden sample means.

scott123
02-22-03, 07:29 AM
I saw this at Futuremark. I hope this isn't the best the GFX can muster.
OMG, that must be why Nvidia scraped the Ultra. I personally think Futuremarks latest benchmark is a complete joke, but if a FX equipped machine can only muster 500pts over mine in this lously benchmark, then Nvidia has a long ways to go, before they better release anything.

Scott

Shinri Hikari
02-22-03, 08:58 PM
They could not get the fabrication process to work like they wanted, that is where the trobble with heat, clock, and stability issues come from.:( The materials used were not the best that they could have used and that is a big fault they need to fix.:eek: