PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server Specs

Lfctony
10-07-06, 12:55 AM
Hey guys. I need some opinions about a dedicated server we are getting for our gaming network. Specs as following:

Core 2 Duo 6300
1GB DDR-2 667
160GB SATA-II Hard Drive

Basically this is it. I opted for an Intel System since it's quite cheaper than the 5200+ X2 it's equivalent to. 1GB should be enough for hosting, we are aiming at 100 players more or less, spanning across 6-7 games.

Rayman1968
10-07-06, 01:00 AM
Those specs suck major butt for a dedicated multi-gaming server. Who is the provider and what is the cost?

Lfctony
10-07-06, 01:12 AM
Mate wouldn't you call this system mid-range? According to these systems at least:

http://www.4u-servers.co.uk/index.php?page=dedicated

It's better than the first four...

Could you please explain yourself a bit? Would any of those systems be able to run with our requirements? Can you also provide a site which has some servers for me to look at?

Thanks,
Tony.

Lfctony
10-07-06, 04:25 AM
Guys?

retsam
10-07-06, 05:42 AM
Guys?
i would go with more ram at least 4 gigs and instead of a single drive go with multidrives and dual gigabit network cards that you can agrigate into one trunk. are you on a budget? it sounds like you are. if your going with multiple games servers on a single system i would go with with win64 and just pack it with ram.

retsam
10-07-06, 05:44 AM
also are you going to be using this to host internet gaming? if so what is the speed of the connection? if you can i would use qos so that one game doesnt eat into another games bandwidth.

Lfctony
10-07-06, 06:39 AM
It's meant to be used for internet gaming. Also we are on a very tight budget, but it sounds we will have to push the spec to at least 2GB of memory and a faster drive. Ok, thanks for the info. I'll push the guys for a Gigabit connection to the network, hopefully that will be enough. We are only purchasing the server, it will be installed in the backbone of one of our local ISPs. What connection they will provide I don't really know. I'm just trying to figure out what hardware to purchase. I have absolutely no experience with dedicated servers...

Tony.

a12ctic
10-07-06, 11:44 AM
it sounds like you are. if your going with multiple games servers on a single system i would go with with win64 and just pack it with ram.

dependng on what games hes going to be hosting, he should deffinatly consider slackware or debian, hed deffinatly get the most out of that rig with a *nix system.

Lfctony
10-07-06, 11:57 AM
Here are the games as well:

• BF2 (ranked) server (24 player server)
• BF2142 (ranked) server (24 player server) release 20/10/06
• Call of Duty 2 (16 player server)
• Counter Strike: Source (16 player server)
• QUAKE 4 (12 player server)
• FEAR COMBAT - (16 player server – free game)
• Quake Wars – When its released
• TEAMSPEAK server

retsam
10-07-06, 12:11 PM
Here are the games as well:

BF2 (ranked) server (24 player server)
BF2142 (ranked) server (24 player server) release 20/10/06
Call of Duty 2 (16 player server)
Counter Strike: Source (16 player server)
QUAKE 4 (12 player server)
FEAR COMBAT - (16 player server free game)
Quake Wars When its released
TEAMSPEAK server
ok, i really dont think you are going to have enough horse power for all these servers at once. pick and choose your games. bf2 alone will use up alot of the horsepower.

Rayman1968
10-07-06, 01:39 PM
Mate wouldn't you call this system mid-range? According to these systems at least:

http://www.4u-servers.co.uk/index.php?page=dedicated

It's better than the first four...

Could you please explain yourself a bit? Would any of those systems be able to run with our requirements? Can you also provide a site which has some servers for me to look at?

Thanks,
Tony.

The only servers listed there that I'd consider running more than one game on would be the bottom two. But maybe 3 games max. All the others just aren't going to have enough cpu power.

Lfctony
10-07-06, 01:53 PM
ok, i really dont think you are going to have enough horse power for all these servers at once. pick and choose your games. bf2 alone will use up alot of the horsepower.

Thanks mate, I've passed your recommendations to our admins, hopefully we'll work out a solution without having to spend $4000 on a system. :(

a12ctic
10-07-06, 02:15 PM
tbh, if you want to deal with linux, you should have more than enough horse power to run 5-6 servers at least, rayman is just being an asshole. I ran a source server on a 400mhz P2, 128mb of ram, and old school harddrive perfectly fine a c2d can surely handle that much. Although you may want to stay away from bf due to their incredibly crappy net code and itll probobly **** your server over.

Lfctony
10-07-06, 03:05 PM
Unfortunately, that would not be possible. It's our BF2 clan that's providing most of the server funds. :)

a12ctic
10-07-06, 03:08 PM
you can probobly make a nice quadcore s940 opty system for ~1000$, that will probobly be the best option.

Lfctony
10-08-06, 01:42 AM
The problem is parts cost more here than the US, our budget is around $1600. But our prices are almost double those of yours. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Tony.

retsam
10-08-06, 03:54 AM
The problem is parts cost more here than the US, our budget is around $1600. But our prices are almost double those of yours. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Tony.oh, sorry tony i didnt realise you were from cypres. just my suggetion would be to use one cpu per server software so assign affinity to get the most out of the system.

retsam
10-08-06, 03:54 AM
let us know how you make out and what dissicions you went with.