PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne 2 doesn't just crash, it restarts my computer.

stevemedes
10-07-06, 01:01 PM
Hi, I know it's kinda an older game, but I wanna play it again with my new rig. Specs are in my sig. I can get into the menus and sometimes even into the actual game. But within 30 seconds of that, it just flat restarts my computer. No BSOD's or anything, just restarts. I updated the game with the latest patch 1.01 and am running 91.47's. Anyone else had this problem?

BioHazZarD
10-07-06, 01:55 PM
Run the game with 1 core only thats your problem.

MaXThReAT
10-07-06, 01:57 PM
Edit: Naww I play all day with both cores. let me test here a bit.

Odd I just reinstalled MP2 and have been playing it without issue for the past few months. I did have problems like yours with it at one point a long time ago. I just installed the game patched and use the games control panel to set the AA and stuff. High quality with vsync everything maxed at 1920x1440. My system is fully up to data also sp2 and all patches. I'll check it out with my current driver.

Edit edit: Sorry never mind I'm an idiot I dont' have my 7900gt right now just a 6200le. My 7900gt is the process of being stepped-up to a GTKO SC or a GTO. Sorry. I used 91.28 and 91.31 with it without any issue. I'm on 92.91 right now.

stevemedes
10-07-06, 02:02 PM
Edit: Naww I play all day with both cores. let me test here a bit.

Odd I just reinstalled MP2 and have been playing it without issue for the past few months. I did have problems like yours with it at one point a long time ago. I just installed the game patched and use the games control panel to set the AA and stuff. High quality with vsync everything maxed at 1920x1440. My system is fully up to data also sp2 and all patches. I'll check it out with my current driver.

Thanks. I just performed a clean install. LAN cable unplugged.

Install order:

1:SP2
2:Chipset
3: DX9
4:Video
5:Sound
6:LAN
7:AV and some other essentials
8:Everything else

I'll try affinity and forcing settings thru CP then report back.

stevemedes
10-07-06, 02:26 PM
Running on 1 core same problem =(

MaXThReAT
10-07-06, 02:57 PM
well I just checked and it's actually running great on the 6200le 1024x768 everything maxed 2xaa and just set texture filtering to anisotropic, triple screen buffers on, everything high and all audio setting checked set to high. played for a good 20min 30fps.
Have you installed the AMD dual core optimizer thing? Set the NV CP to app controlled? Try with vsync on? Maybe it's the sound card you have, that would be my guess. Turn off the sound and test it out.

stevemedes
10-07-06, 03:23 PM
well I just checked and it's actually running great on the 6200le 1024x768 everything maxed 2xaa and just set texture filtering to anisotropic, triple screen buffers on, everything high and all audio setting checked set to high. played for a good 20min 30fps.
Have you installed the AMD dual core optimizer thing? Set the NV CP to app controlled? Try with vsync on? Maybe it's the sound card you have, that would be my guess. Turn off the sound and test it out.

Disabling my sound card in device manager seems to fix my problem. I guess I'll use onboard sound. thanks for the help =)

MaXThReAT
10-07-06, 03:32 PM
When I had the same prob, I always thought it was my soundblaster live. I think since I've moved to the X-fi, the issue is gone. Glad I could kinda solve that for you.

On a side note make sure to try out the matrix mod it's sweet as hell. Better than any of the matrix games. Wild shoot dodges.

stevemedes
10-07-06, 04:09 PM
When I had the same prob, I always thought it was my soundblaster live. I think since I've moved to the X-fi, the issue is gone. Glad I could kinda solve that for you.

On a side note make sure to try out the matrix mod it's sweet as hell. Better than any of the matrix games. Wild shoot dodges.

I'll definetely try that mod out. I also heard good things about that Seventh Serpent mod, wanna give that a spin also =)