PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor 200GB Dying? Can't run defrag... Help

stevemedes
10-07-06, 03:10 PM
I have a IDE Maxtor 200gb that I've had for about 3-4 years. I just reinstalled windows with my new rig and I go to defrag like I always do after I reinstall windows. I have my drive partitioned into 2, one 20gb for the OS and the rest for all my other stuff. When I try to defrag the partition with my OS install, it gives me this:

https://home.comcast.net/~riptide007/defrag.JPG

Could this mean my drive is about to go? I've never had this problem before. Can't say the drive is giving off any audible signals that it's dying, but you never know.

If the drive needs to be replaced, what are some good SATA drives with capacity in between 200 and 350 gb for <$100USD?

nekrosoft13
10-07-06, 03:43 PM
have you even tried reading the error message?

reading is not that hard you know, it clearly says to run chkdsk

stevemedes
10-07-06, 04:05 PM
I ran both and it's still giving me the error.

Milk&Cheese
10-07-06, 04:36 PM
welcome to the club. my 200GB maxtor died on my 6 months ago.

back up everything while you still can and prepare a eulogy.

all hail the 500GB WD Caviar SE16

stevemedes
10-07-06, 04:59 PM
welcome to the club. my 200GB maxtor died on my 6 months ago.

back up everything while you still can and prepare a eulogy.

all hail the 500GB WD Caviar SE16

Yea. I'm thinkin about getting the 250gb WD SE16 SATA drive.

Bman212121
10-07-06, 05:05 PM
I have a IDE Maxtor 200gb that I've had for about 3-4 years. I just reinstalled windows with my new rig and I go to defrag like I always do after I reinstall windows. I have my drive partitioned into 2, one 20gb for the OS and the rest for all my other stuff. When I try to defrag the partition with my OS install, it gives me this:

https://home.comcast.net/~riptide007/defrag.JPG

Could this mean my drive is about to go? I've never had this problem before. Can't say the drive is giving off any audible signals that it's dying, but you never know.

If the drive needs to be replaced, what are some good SATA drives with capacity in between 200 and 350 gb for <$100USD?

Did you do a chkdsk /R ? You need the /R for it to actually do stuff. That should fix the inconsisencies on the disk. I would also download the powermax software to check the disk. Just because you can't defrag doesn't mean the drive is shot, it could just mean that the NTFS partition is hosed. Here is the link. http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware+Downloa ds%2FView+By+Category%2FDesktop+Storage%2FDiamondM ax+Family

stevemedes
10-07-06, 05:45 PM
Did you do a chkdsk /R ? You need the /R for it to actually do stuff. That should fix the inconsisencies on the disk. I would also download the powermax software to check the disk. Just because you can't defrag doesn't mean the drive is shot, it could just mean that the NTFS partition is hosed. Here is the link. http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.8db0c3d6932ced37294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware+Downloa ds%2FView+By+Category%2FDesktop+Storage%2FDiamondM ax+Family

That seems to have fixed it! Thanx. I'll betcha my partition got hosed because I was trying to get Max Payne 2 to work and it kept resetting my computer when I tried to play it. Thanks alot Bman.

CaptNKILL
10-07-06, 11:37 PM
You might want to go look for a program called speedfan.

It can check the status of the hard drives SMART diagnostics and give you a detailed report (as well as an overall rating) of the drive's "Health" and "Performance". It saved my friend a lot of trouble when he suspected a drive of his to be faulty. The health rating on it slowly degraded every day for about a week until it was down to like 20%.

Go find it and give it a try. You may have fixed this error, but its not worth it to just keep using it without looking into it further. I immediately stopped using my old 60gig maxtor drive when I ran speedfan on it and got a Health of 13%. It checks out in all other programs except that one, so it could still be alright, but I'm not taking any chances.

Milk&Cheese
10-08-06, 05:27 PM
congrats. i wasnt so lucky. i just turned my PC one day and it wouldnt read the C drive. told me it was invalid. wasnt a recognized drive. didnt even list it as a maxtor 200GB in the bios.

Bman212121
10-09-06, 05:55 PM
That seems to have fixed it! Thanx. I'll betcha my partition got hosed because I was trying to get Max Payne 2 to work and it kept resetting my computer when I tried to play it. Thanks alot Bman.

Not a prob, glad to help! :D

stevemedes
10-12-06, 03:37 PM
Um... yeah, it's dead now. :thumbdwn:

Won't take a Windows installation. If i create a partition and try to install windows off it, it wont install and it will come up as unpartitioned space again.
Oh well, Seagate 7200.9 250gb SATAII on the way now. $80 shipped from the egg.

Lost all my backup stuff, my ripped mp3s... grrr...

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 06:04 PM
Um... yeah, it's dead now. :thumbdwn:

Won't take a Windows installation. If i create a partition and try to install windows off it, it wont install and it will come up as unpartitioned space again.
Oh well, Seagate 7200.9 250gb SATAII on the way now. $80 shipped from the egg.

Lost all my backup stuff, my ripped mp3s... grrr...
Ya..i hate hard drives when they fail like that. I'm hoping sometime in the future (hopefully the near future) we can have "better" hard drives that won't suck so much. Haha.

$n][pErMan
10-13-06, 12:22 AM
I have been using those Samsung drives lately. Very quiet and solid units. I have had tons of problems in the past with WD and Maxtor alike.