PDA

View Full Version : 90% efficiency PSUs?

Milk&Cheese
10-07-06, 03:53 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/27/idf_fall_2006/page3.html#power_supplies_to_reach_90_efficiency

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20925&d=1160254434

so i was reading about the most recent IDF, and intel says they're going to start making 90% efficiency PSUs. sounds like a good idea considering how much power these new rigs are pulling. i think the 8800GTX requires a 500 or 600W PSU now.

they talk about it for servers, which would be the first step since that's where the most $ from electricity would be saved. but..

do you think intel will make PSUs for the consumer market & if so, when do you think they'd start releasing them?

if they did, would you buy one?

opinions?

gmontem
10-07-06, 05:17 PM
I'm sure other companies will follow suit. Wouldn't be surprised if Seasonic will come out with one for us when Intel releases one for commercial market.

nekrosoft13
10-07-06, 07:36 PM
highest i seen so far was 82%

jAkUp
10-07-06, 10:53 PM
Looks like it may be digital PWM...

a12ctic
10-07-06, 11:36 PM
Most seasonic PS already have 85%

crainger
10-08-06, 12:43 AM
Most seasonic PS already have 85%

Antec also claim 85% on their HE series. :captnkill:

PSYCHODAD
10-08-06, 02:04 AM
Silverstone claims > 80% on some models.

OldOfEvil
10-08-06, 04:26 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but the efficiency is similar to MPG in cars?

nutball
10-08-06, 04:34 AM
Erm... unless all components are going to start taking the same voltage, you're going to need voltage steppers on the motherboard. On the motherboard, rather than in the power supply as they currently are, that is. These components are where a fair bit of the loss in power supplies happens.

So you remove them from the power supply, your headline PSU efficiency increases.

And you move them to the motherboard. Uh huh.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Two words...

Marketing
Bull****

Milk&Cheese
10-08-06, 04:55 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but the efficiency is similar to MPG in cars?
in that you have to pay for electricity like you have to pay for gas. then yes.

Milk&Cheese
10-08-06, 04:57 AM
Erm... unless all components are going to start taking the same voltage, you're going to need voltage steppers on the motherboard. On the motherboard, rather than in the power supply as they currently are, that is. These components are where a fair bit of the loss in power supplies happens.

So you remove them from the power supply, your headline PSU efficiency increases.

And you move them to the motherboard. Uh huh.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Two words...

Marketing
Bull****
they just said they had improved the regulators. where are you getting this from?

hazindu
10-12-06, 07:54 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but the efficiency is similar to MPG in cars?Your power supply takes nasty dirty AC power and makes it into sparkling clean DC power for your sensitive computer to live happily off of. Efficiency refers to how much power is lost in this transformation. If your power supply requires 100 watts of AC power to provide 80 watts to your computer, your powersupply is 80% efficient. Higher efficiency powersupplies produce less heat, and waste less power. Note, manufactures' efficiency claims are just that, "claims". They advertise their best numbers taken while testing under ideal conditions and power draw.