PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Quake Wars Screens

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 04:31 PM
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=37702&mode=thread&order=0

These look a LOT different than the previous screenshots of this game. It looks much sharper and much more detailed. Although I think its partially because they dont show the ground texture (those have been pretty blurry in all the screens so far).

I wasnt expecting a desert type setting in this game either. It looks good. :)

jAkUp
10-08-06, 04:32 PM
looking good :D 2nd screenshot shows some ground texture...

superklye
10-08-06, 04:35 PM
DAMN this game looks awesome.

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 04:35 PM
looking good :D 2nd screenshot shows some ground texture...
Yeah, just a little.

And its too blurry to really see. :p

Something tells me this game wont need more than 4x or 8x AF to look its best.

It looks so good other than that. I think this "megatexture" thing is going to actually work against them at this point. There may not be any tiling but the texture quality (of the ground) is far less than that of most "next gen" games.

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 04:40 PM
This one is from May, but I dont remember ever seeing it before. It looks AMAZING.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/128/928340_20060509_screen002.jpg

jAkUp
10-08-06, 04:41 PM
Yeah, just a little.

And its too blurry to really see. :p

Something tells me this game wont need more than 4x or 8x AF to look its best.

It looks so good other than that. I think this "megatexture" thing is going to actually work against them at this point. There may not be any tiling but the texture quality (of the ground) is far less than that of most "next gen" games.

I suppose but I think the main point of megatexturing is to save on texture data, so you can have higher quality textures on more important objects, like trees, players, and vehicles.

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 04:48 PM
I suppose but I think the main point of megatexturing is to save on texture data, so you can have higher quality textures on more important objects, like trees, players, and vehicles.
I dont know. I thought they did it to avoid the generic, tiled look of scenery by making every inch of the terrain uniquely textured.

I think at this point its a great idea but the majority of people dont have graphics cards fast enough to support super high resolutions textures using that method, so they have to scale back.

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 04:53 PM
You know, the more I look at it, the more I think its related to the art quality rather than the resolution.

It seems like a lot of their textures just consist of lots of speckles with a sharpen filter applied to them.

Hopefully they're just placeholders for the final art. The rest of the game looks fantastic... so the "ehh" textures stick out like sore thumb.

jAkUp
10-08-06, 04:54 PM
Hmmm... I suppose you are right... ALthough I don't think repeating textures is a problem in games today... since most people probably would not even notice a repeating texture for terrain.

MegaTexture is a design to eliminate repeating textures over an environment. The original version of the Doom 3 engine was criticized by the gaming press over its inability to handle landscapes and large outdoor areas. The MegaTexture technology addresses this issue by introducing a means to create expansive outdoor scenes. By painting a single massive texture (about 3200032000 pixels, or 1 gigapixel) covering the entire polygon map and highly detailed terrain, the desired effects can be achieved. The MegaTexture can also store physical information about the terrain such as the amount of traction in certain areas or indicate what sound effect should be played when walking over specific terrain types on the map. i.e. walking on rock will sound different from walking on grass. Id Software and Splash Damage expect that this will result in a considerably more detailed scene than the majority of existing technologies, using tiled textures, allow.

Marvel_us
10-08-06, 05:00 PM
This game kinda lost it's "wow" factor in the graphics department for me. The gameplay should rock, hopefully we get some new vids soon.

jAkUp
10-08-06, 05:06 PM
Check it out:
http://www.enemyterritory.com/main.html

Its been updated to show the models, classes, vehicles and deployables :D

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 05:14 PM
Hmmm... I suppose you are right... ALthough I don't think repeating textures is a problem in games today... since most people probably would not even notice a repeating texture for terrain.
:lol:

I dont know, its a personal preference I guess.

I spent months working on that texture pack for Oblivion to get rid of the tiling textures and its had thousands of downloads, so some people must care.

There are a few games that have the "tiling" problem now, and its really obvious after looking at games like Battlefield (any of them) that have none. The Doom 3 engine uses so much specular and normal mapping that tiling would be horrible in a game the size of quake wars. Depending on the lighting and the angle of the terrain, there would be huge lines all over the place. That was one of the main problems with Oblivion.

By allowing the artists and level designers to paint the textures on the terrain in any way they wish to avoid large expanses of the same repeating pattern, they can stop the tiling all together. But then the problem is the detail and quality of the art work. With so much variation in the textures, theres no way they can add as much detail as a single "tiled" texture without spending a year on a single map.

So I think they are on the right track with this and it does appear to be working, but I dont think we'll see the full benefit of it until the artists have better experience and better tools to make the textures more detailed up close.

nutcrackr
10-08-06, 07:31 PM
I must commend them for their efforts using the Doom 3 engine on outdoor environments. Quake 4 for example has outdoor areas that are pretty awful compared to many other games. I've seen many map examples where people try to show how doom 3 "can do it too" at various doom 3 editing sites but they all looked like ass.

SH64
10-08-06, 08:02 PM
:cool:

ET:QW + 8800GTX = :jumping:

jAkUp
10-08-06, 08:03 PM

Only 1? (nana2)

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 08:07 PM

Yessss :captnkill:

And nutcrackr, I agree. Quake 4's outdoor areas looked pretty horrible. QW looks 1000x better.

SH64
10-08-06, 08:07 PM
My bad :(

8800GTX SLI

:dance:

ragejg
10-08-06, 08:32 PM
Quad for quakewars, sillys... 2x 8950GX2 + quad core, w to the 00t.

nVidi0t
10-08-06, 08:49 PM
I think a 7950GX2 should be great for Quake Wars..

Well, it's what I have, and I'll be pissed as heel if it's slow :(

Quickstar
10-08-06, 09:13 PM
Oh yea, thats good stuff. MUCH better than BF2142. I was getting depressed....

stjuart
10-08-06, 11:47 PM
something tells me this game should do well on current high end cards and probably on 6800series and even x800 series becuase the current graphics look good but not enough to make most cards crawl at 10fps, and again this is mp and they have to make it playable so it will not look as good as say quake 4 indoor levels simply becuase one is a sp game and this one is full mp and they have to save as much bandwidth as possible for smooth online play. atleast that s what i think, plus how many id engines run like ass=none.

CaptNKILL
10-08-06, 11:50 PM
something tells me this game should do well on current high end cards and probably on 6800series and even x800 series becuase the current graphics look good but not enough to make most cards crawl at 10fps, and again this is mp and they have to make it playable so it will not look as good as say quake 4 indoor levels simply becuase one is a sp game and this one is full mp and they have to save as much bandwidth as possible for smooth online play. atleast that s what i think, plus how many id engines run like ass=none.
I dont know. Quake 4 is pretty horrible online. It ran terrible compared to the single player and it lagged really bad most of the time. Doom 3 was even worse.

I think this is going to be something totaly different than those though.

If it isnt, its going to suck. Simple as that. :o

stjuart
10-08-06, 11:59 PM
Lets hope the suck is back with raven and the new dev can bring this game to the light, atleast since this is only mp game and well if that part sucks, the party is over and bf series sucks donkey balls, because ea cant see a glitch if they were smacked by it in the face, all they see is dollar signs with crapy support and ****ty sequals, lets hope this game is really good online and lets get this out, more peoople online does not mean better game, so i hope the dev of wolfenstien mp game can make this game a gem too.

a12ctic
10-09-06, 10:45 AM
Oh oh will they release linux ports on release?

nemecb
10-09-06, 10:58 AM
See, now I'm going to have to disagree a bit on this point. You see a whole lot more of the terrain textures than you do the player or vehicle textures (trees would fall under terrain for me). I mean how often do you actually get close enough to another player to see how high the resolution the textures on them are? Usually if I'm that close I've probably gotten shot and killed already. Versus how often are you standing right on the ground? Granted, having high res textures on the player models is going to be a lot easier than the terrain because the players are so much smaller, but personally I'd rather have good looking terrain than good looking player models in almost all cases. The exceptions being things like cut scenes or spectating but I would think those could be handled differently if necessary.

I still have to wonder how megatexture is going to work. Even a 32000x32000 texture (which I think is what they mention as an example of what it can do in the articles I've read) is probably going to end up looking muddy if you have to stretch it over the entire map, considering how large the maps for some of these modern games are. I guess it remains to be seen, but so far Quake Wars screenies are not helping my confidence much.