PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 HD-DVD Interview

Marvel_us
10-08-06, 07:22 PM
Gah, not too sure how to link Gametrailer's websites....they always redirect to homepage. Anyway you should see it on the recent list, just scroll down a bit.

EDIT: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1589

AthlonXP1800
10-08-06, 07:40 PM
Hmmm link not working. :captnkill:

Marvel_us
10-08-06, 07:55 PM
Try that one, but you have to scroll down to the interview section. HD-DVD will be the first one under that section.

XxDeadlyxX
10-08-06, 10:00 PM
This looks great, damn getting a Dell 2407FPW plus the 360 HD-DVD and running over VGA will be awesome. I am in conflict over whether to get this combo as a Christmas upgrade or to get an 8800GTX instead :D

Also I'm sure MS will come up with something regarding the problem of storage space on regular DVDs.

msxyz
10-09-06, 04:45 AM
Also I'm sure MS will come up with something regarding the problem of storage space on regular DVDs.All Microsoft can do is hoping to improve compression of videos and graphic assets.

Microsoft is already working on improving the existing codecs and compression tools to allow HD streams at 9-12Mbit/sec with little loss of quality. Most of the work is finalized to allow smaller VC-1 streams for more efficient space utilization on DVD/HD-DVD

Next come the textures. The Xbox uses the same S3TC/DXT compression algorithm which has become a standard in the industry (every PC card supports it as well as console GPUs like Nintendo Flipper, NV2A and probably RSX too).

A software firm has recently claimed to have developed an improved compression alorithm which should cut memory usage down to one third. It remains to be seen if this algorithm can be implemented in software running on existing hardware without sacrificing performance.

six_storm
10-09-06, 09:58 AM
HD-DVDs look great, but does anyone else think that this whole new DVD format era seem like a big scam? I don't think that it's really worth $200+ for a 360 player and $20+ on every DVD. If I had the $$$, then yes, I would be going HD-DVD in a heartbeat but I don't. Also, there are those "Blu-Ray Exclusive" titles that you can't get on HD-DVD. Now that sucks.

Maybe down the road when the whole format war future is a little more clear, then I might pick up that add-on drive.

LiquidX
10-09-06, 11:30 AM
HD-DVDs look great, but does anyone else think that this whole new DVD format era seem like a big scam? I don't think that it's really worth $200+ for a 360 player and $20+ on every DVD. If I had the $$$, then yes, I would be going HD-DVD in a heartbeat but I don't. Also, there are those "Blu-Ray Exclusive" titles that you can't get on HD-DVD. Now that sucks.

Maybe down the road when the whole format war future is a little more clear, then I might pick up that add-on drive.

For movies it is a great thing but for games I think there pushing it more than its worth. Greater compression should really be the future because even Sony has talked of a diskless future but how is that possibile with 30GB games? I cant see many having the speed or time to download that much data even in 5 years time. Just take a look at XBox Live and how downloading games and demos have become a big part of the system if not the norm. Both Sony and Nintendo are copying this so that should be a sign that the future is compressing not bigger disk sizes. Can you imagine if PC games started to hit 30GB?

evilchris
10-09-06, 11:34 AM

Not a scam at all. Side by side DVD to HD-DVD sometime on a 50" screen. No comparison.

Peoples-Agent
10-09-06, 02:07 PM
Not a scam at all. Side by side DVD to HD-DVD sometime on a 50" screen. No comparison.

Yeah, that's when it shows... if you have a screen 40" plus, then it's what owners of these sets have been screaming out for.

Regular DVD is a proper bottleneck on these things.

six_storm
10-09-06, 02:47 PM

I definitly agree with what you're saying, however, is it worth that extra money for that much of a visual upgrade? Yeah it looks good but I'm still not sold on it. Maybe when HD-DVDs drop in price and more titles come to the platform, then I'll look into it.

I really wish that this whole format wars thing wouldn't seperate specific titles . . . I really wanted movies like Underworld, Click and others to be released on HD-DVD too . . .

evilchris
10-09-06, 03:57 PM
I definitly agree with what you're saying, however, is it worth that extra money for that much of a visual upgrade? Yeah it looks good but I'm still not sold on it. Maybe when HD-DVDs drop in price and more titles come to the platform, then I'll look into it.

I really wish that this whole format wars thing wouldn't seperate specific titles . . . I really wanted movies like Underworld, Click and others to be released on HD-DVD too . . .

It is like night and day. "that much" is over 4x the resolution of DVD.

Marvel_us
10-09-06, 05:21 PM

Aren't some companies working on Hybrid Players. One player that can play HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. That seems like an option but the price may be pretty damn high on those.

HYBRID
10-09-06, 05:43 PM
I just purchased an Toshiba HDDVD player, and I own an xbox360 primarily used by my kids.
I can tell you that HDVD is awesome the truth is that if your use to watching HD on DirecTV or whatever itís hard to go back same way with Blu Ray or HDVD..

The original SD 480p DVD up-converted on this player to 1080i is also a nice touch. The Audio is also amazing using True DD HD.

If youíre on the fence regarding these new formats embrace them they look great.
I donít know how theyíll fair in games but for movies, and music there awesome.

six_storm
10-09-06, 06:28 PM
Well, the update coming for the 360 pretty soon will make DVDs upconvert to 1080p and any other resolution (via VGA of course). I hope that regular DVDs will look good upconverted through the X360 . . . but I gotta wait for about 2 more months to get my TV.

evilchris
10-09-06, 06:56 PM
Well, the update coming for the 360 pretty soon will make DVDs upconvert to 1080p and any other resolution (via VGA of course). I hope that regular DVDs will look good upconverted through the X360 . . . but I gotta wait for about 2 more months to get my TV.

Keep in mind an upconverted DVD isn't now HD, it's just upconverted and looks nowhere near as good as an actual 1080 HD-DVD. The source is 480 and always will be coming off a DVD.

six_storm
10-09-06, 07:04 PM
Keep in mind an upconverted DVD isn't now HD, it's just upconverted and looks nowhere near as good as an actual 1080 HD-DVD. The source is 480 and always will be coming off a DVD.

Yeah, that is true. The only thing is that I work at Blockbuster so I get all the movies I want for free. Also, I have a ton of TV series on DVD . . . can't get that on the new formats yet. But geez, I would LOVE to see Scrubs, Entourage or Dead Like Me on HD. Talk about drool.

Peoples-Agent
10-10-06, 12:50 AM

It does look a ton better being upconverted on a 32" screen though.

Watched Blade Runner Director's Cut at the weekend, and it looked stunningly crisp compared to my old regular DVD player.

I'm a bit of an advocate for this HD-DVD stuff though, having seen a demo with my own two, the difference is just striking.

Sure this is going to bolster the plastic surgery trade even more in Hollywood, the detail you can see on people's faces is worrying. LOL