PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake is Vista Exclusive

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
10-09-06, 08:14 PM
Was not aware its a Vista only game...

http://www.brightfalls.com/alan-wake-faq/

Is Alan Wake exlusive to Windows Vista? If so why?

Petri Järvilehto had this to say on the official Alan Wake forums (18/05/06):

"I'll confirm that Alan Wake is Vista and 360 exclusive. I know some people have reacted strongly to that, but for us this was one of the key decisions that will allow us to create the best possible game.

We've locked this down a while ago, and being able to focus on fewer platforms means that the game is going to kick more ass than ever before. By going with Vista, we don't have to compromise everything to the lowest common PC denominator and since we're not doing a PS3 version we can go all out with PC and 360 multithreading, HDR rendering etc. This focus benefits the tech and game design immensely.

We're really sorry if some end up missing the game because of our platform choice, but in the end of the day we *must* base our decisions on what will let us create the best possible game. That's just how Remedy as a team works: we're passionate about creating something unique. Alan Wake is still our IP and we drive the creative control, but working with Microsoft gives us unprecedented levels of development support, testing resources and so on.

But… as they say, the proof is in the pudding. You guys are going to be the best judges on whether the calls we've made have been the right ones. We haven't really shown anything on what we've been up to in the past year. Once we do, it'll be up to you to see whether our work has been worthwhile."

rewt
10-09-06, 08:20 PM
I like it. Less time developing the game to work with an old GeForce2, and more time making the game more spectacular for those of us purchasing higher end hardware.

|MaguS|
10-09-06, 08:22 PM
I like it. Less time developing the game to work with an old GeForce2, and more time making the game more spectacular for those of us purchasing higher end hardware.

Yup, and this is a great game to get people to move to Vista... not the POS game called Halo 2.

MaXThReAT
10-09-06, 08:24 PM
Once PC's use the same unified shader architecture porting games from the 360 to the PC will much much easier. Thats MS's promis to bring gaming back to the PC...Port all 360 games.I knew.

nekrosoft13
10-09-06, 08:26 PM
all?

dead or alive on pc?
project gothan on pc?

Mr_LoL
10-09-06, 08:29 PM
I suppose Microsoft must have paid them some dollars to make this vista exclusive. All they need to do now is pay the boys at crytek.

Marvel_us
10-09-06, 08:36 PM
Nice, this game is going to look amazing.

Zelda_fan
10-09-06, 08:50 PM
I suppose Microsoft must have paid them some dollars to make this vista exclusive. All they need to do now is pay the boys at crytek.

has nothing to do with that. DX10 won't work on WindowsXP. It's not rocket science...

anticitizenzero
10-09-06, 09:48 PM
Anyone considering upgrading to the latest rc2 out, I hear its almost final.

nutcrackr
10-09-06, 09:53 PM
Guess I'll miss out on this game too.

CaptNKILL
10-09-06, 09:55 PM
I was already planning on getting Vista, this is just more incentive to do so. :p

Intel17
10-09-06, 10:17 PM
Well, then I won't be playing Alan Wake, I guess.

Milk&Cheese
10-09-06, 10:25 PM
http://www.alanwake.com/presspage.html

http://www.alanwake.com/images/front_10.jpg
Psychological action thriller slated as exclusive for Windows Vista and Xbox 360

Milk&Cheese
10-09-06, 10:26 PM
Anyone considering upgrading to the latest rc2 out, I hear its almost final.
i tried it. seemed more buggy then RC1

Bearclaw
10-09-06, 10:44 PM
That's good to know i guess. The game looks amazing. I can't wait. Unfortunatley, I do not have th ebest system...i guess I'll have to upgrade...It's been coming for a while now though. :D

Subtestube
10-10-06, 12:44 AM
I already knew this, but it's as I've been telling everyone - if not for this game, I probably wouldn't buy Vista. However, as this game is vista exclusive, it's almost definite. One might even say, this will be the most expensive game I've ever bought:

Alan Wake (NZ$100)
Windows Vista OEM (~NZ$250)
GeForce 8600GT / Radeon Large Number midrange XT (~NZ$400).

:| - A $700 game. Yikes.

K007
10-10-06, 01:17 AM
This is great news imo..its about time we move forward and not sit in the past with old tech and keeping support to them. Games that look as great as this should be played with eye candy on with a nice video card to back it up with :captnkill:

Belarnion
10-10-06, 03:02 AM
Best news I've heard in a long time. Vista, with RC2, is looking better and better. Now I just need decent graphics drivers for Vista to abandon XP for good. :D

SemperFi
10-10-06, 03:18 AM
Yep. Just waiting for SLI support.

K007
10-10-06, 03:24 AM
Yep if Vista had SLI i would be using RC2 right now. It runs great on my old 6800GT rig..it was amazed at how fast WoW loaded..i mean it was so fast..

lightman
10-10-06, 07:02 AM
Ok. No Alan Wake for me then. It's a pity, it looked nice from the movies I saw. Oh well. I will survive.

sytaylor
10-10-06, 07:51 AM
If you're gonna buy the newest and latest games, it stands to reason you will have kept up with the hardware.

MaXThReAT
10-10-06, 08:59 AM
I was already planning on getting Vista, this is just more incentive to do so. :p

Buying in to the corporate wheel hu?. J/K I for one think it is a good thing. Dev's no longer have to make sure their game works on dx7 dx8 dx9. The lowest common denominator has just been bumped up. Everyone will use dx10 and every game for vista will be targeted at the same hardware group. There will still be low, mid and high end systems but it truly will be easier to quickly develop games.

Becoming
10-10-06, 09:02 AM
I sure hope there's a game worth playing under all that pretty.

Belarnion
10-10-06, 09:15 AM
Max Payne 1 og 2 were good. I hope that's an indication.