PDA

View Full Version : Its upgrade time, sell me on dual core!!!

Pages : [1] 2

sillyeagle
10-10-06, 01:15 AM
In anticipation of G80 its CPU upgrade time. I can get an FX-57(2.8GHz single) for $300, or an FX-60(2.6GHz dual) for $600.

I'm sure the single core will get a MUCH better overclock, AND its half the price. So I doubt the FX-60 will EVER be as fast as the FX-57 in single threaded games.

I'm having trouble finding justification for spending twice as much on a dual core which will be slower in the majority of games, but on the ohter hand it would be nice to max out my board now and the just sit on the dual core potential until its needed, but man that extra $300 pays for half my G80...

Please help!

sabersix1
10-10-06, 01:23 AM
Buy an Intel E6600 Conroe and the new NF5 680i SLI for $316.99(due in Nov) a couple of gigs of DDR2 RAM and you will be able to kick the Crap out of an FX60 or FX62 in every game, for less money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

Also, here is the E6700 for $501 which is even Faster:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115002

Xion X2
10-10-06, 02:27 AM
Dual-core is really the way that you should go. There's just no point in going single-core at this stage of the game. Games are already being multithreaded, and it's only a matter of time before they really start to take over. Take Alan Wake, for instance. The game is optimized for quad-core and has an entire thread alone dedicated to physics. Even Serious Sam 2--a game that has been out for a year and a half or more--benefits from a dual-core processor.

But I wouldn't buy an AMD dual-core for 600$. If you're going to spend that much money, then you may as well go Conroe, because you can get an E6600 and a DDR2 mobo for less than that that will stomp any AMD setup that is out there right now.

If you want to keep your current setup but want to go AMD dual, then get a 4800+ X2. You can easily overclock it to 2.7 and save yourself 300$. They're going for around 280+ on newegg (or at least they were the last time I checked.)

But don't go single-core this late in the game. It would be a waste, IMO. Dual-cores are very, very good processors, and you will tell a speed increase both in regular desktop usage and in games--even running at the same gHz as your current single-core.

sillyeagle
10-10-06, 02:28 AM
Buy an Intel E6600 Conroe and the new NF5 680i SLI for $316.99(due in Nov) a couple of gigs of DDR2 RAM and you will be able to kick the Crap out of an FX60 or FX62 in every game, for less money.

I gotta go cheap. I just built my current system in Feb, and there is no way I'm buying a new MBD this soon. So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck to hold be over until the end of next year.

So I guess the question is, will an overclocked FX-57 do that, or the FX-60?

Xion X2
10-10-06, 02:31 AM

Neither. Go with a 4800+ X2 Athlon chip. Best bang for the buck. This is an insane deal on this processor right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103540

I would buy that and an Arctic Freezer 64 for a fan, since it doesn't include the stock one (OEM part).

And you can't just look at the speed on dual-cores. My buddy had a 4000+ single-core AMD running at 2.9gHz, and he got a lower CPU score & combined score on 3dmark06 than I did with my 4400+ at 2.6gHz. I also got better performance than he did on F.E.A.R, Serious Sam 2, Oblivion, and a number of other games because of the gradual move to multithreading. The dual-core is faster.

sillyeagle
10-10-06, 02:34 AM
But I wouldn't buy an AMD dual-core for 600$. If you're going to spend that much money, then you may as well go Conroe, because you can get an E6600 and a DDR2 mobo for less than that that will stomp any AMD setup that is out there right now.

If you want to keep your current setup but want to go AMD dual, then get a 4800+ X2. You can easily overclock it to 2.7 and save yourself 300$. They're going for around 280+ on newegg (or at least they were the last time I checked.)

I think you might be right with the X2 4800, and if I could get it to 2.7 I would be happy with it.

My biggest problem with going conroe would be buying another 2GB of RAM, as that adds another $300.

Xion X2
10-10-06, 02:39 AM
Yeah, the RAM is what gets you in the end. It's costly. If you want the 4800+ X2 then be sure to click that link that I gave you. That's as low as I've seen them going for. I'd be jumping all over that if I didn't already have mine.

I have a buddy who just bought a 4800+ X2 to replace his single-core 4000+ and he has it OC'd to 2.7gHz and Prime95 stable for 18 hours.

sillyeagle
10-10-06, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the link. OEM savings are Good. Looking through the reviews it looks like quite a few have upgraded from a 3700+ and have been quite happy.

As a side note I found a few funny ones, at least to me...

Pros: amd need i say more

Cons: no way never have with amd

Other Thoughts: first one came DOA newegg replaced in less than two weeks thanks newegg

And...

Comments: This is the fastest CPU I've ever experienced. IF you setup a RAID 0 array and two Geforce 6800s in SLI, and some Corsair Xtreme RAM, this PC would last you at least 5 years.

Xion X2
10-10-06, 03:10 AM
LOL, yeah, those are funny.

Tr1cK
10-10-06, 08:09 AM
"Should I go dual core?" is a dumb question. YES!

DataMatrix
10-10-06, 10:13 AM
Dual core will benefit you MUCH more compared to a single core, since each core can be doing a different task rather than have to flush their instruction cache all the time.

Bearclaw
10-10-06, 11:57 AM
I gotta go cheap. I just built my current system in Feb, and there is no way I'm buying a new MBD this soon. So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck to hold be over until the end of next year.

Ya same here. I don't want to get a whole new mobo, setup, etc this soon after building my rig. I waa considering the FX-57 as well, just to tide me over for now. :)

Bearclaw
10-10-06, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the link. OEM savings are Good. Looking through the reviews it looks like quite a few have upgraded from a 3700+ and have been quite happy.

As a side note I found a few funny ones, at least to me...

And...

Haha..5 years.. thats great.

Bman212121
10-10-06, 01:09 PM
My friend is also doing the same upgrade. Going from a 3000+ to the 4800+ X2. It is the best deal for anyone with a 939 mobo.

nekrosoft13
10-10-06, 01:39 PM
i would never go single core again.

i can basically do 2 things at same time.

quite often when i encode video, and i'm tired of waiting, i just fire up flatout2, GTR2 or some other game and just race around for a while, and it never slows me down.

J-Mag
10-10-06, 02:20 PM
I have never really been an advocate of dual core CPU's because I rarely do more than one CPU intensive task at a time. Usually I am limited in performance by another subsystem (be it hard drive speed or GPU processing).
However, my primary reasons for staying single core was price and overclockability. It used to be the case that single cores overclocked higher than dual cores. This is no longer an issue. Also, with the falling prices on dual core CPUs, there is no longer cost holding me back.

Essentially if you are willing to spend over $200 there is no reason not to get a dual core CPU.

nmdelrio
10-10-06, 05:37 PM
Here's my 2cents...

I have a P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM desktop rig at home. Trancodes a 2-hour AVI to DVD video with Nero 7 in 4 hours. :thumbdwn:

I just got a new HP Centrino Duo, T2400, 1 Gb RAM laptop at work. Trancodes the same 2-hour AVI to DVD video with Nero 7 in 1.5 hours. :D

I never transcoded video in my home rig since.

I am working on getting together a dual core home rig at present. (nana2)

I hope this helps.

schuey74
10-10-06, 06:50 PM
Here's my 2cents...

I have a P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM desktop rig at home. Trancodes a 2-hour AVI to DVD video with Nero 7 in 4 hours. :thumbdwn:

I just got a new HP Centrino Duo, T2400, 1 Gb RAM laptop at work. Trancodes the same 2-hour AVI to DVD video with Nero 7 in 1.5 hours. :D

I never transcoded video in my home rig since.

I am working on getting together a dual core home rig at present. (nana2)

I hope this helps.
Then there's something seriously wrong with your home rig. My old P4 3.2E w/ 2 gigs of ram would transcode AVIs in Nero a bit faster than 1/1 (2 hour video in about 1:45). Better yet, ditch that nasty Nero and use DVD Santa which was faster than 2/1 on my old P4 and ~3/1 on my X2 @ 2.6.

Bearclaw
10-10-06, 07:33 PM
I think you might be right with the X2 4800, and if I could get it to 2.7 I would be happy with it.

My biggest problem with going conroe would be buying another 2GB of RAM, as that adds another $300.
Same here, I want to upgrade but I might stay with a 939 AMD chip for now just to save money that I can spend on G80 later on next month. Conroe would be nice though...err..decisions, decisions..

nmdelrio
10-11-06, 07:33 AM
Then there's something seriously wrong with your home rig. My old P4 3.2E w/ 2 gigs of ram would transcode AVIs in Nero a bit faster than 1/1 (2 hour video in about 1:45). Better yet, ditch that nasty Nero and use DVD Santa which was faster than 2/1 on my old P4 and ~3/1 on my X2 @ 2.6.

Thanks, I'll try out DVD Santa.

BTW these are DiVX/Xvid AC3 avi files, not DV files from videocams.

sytaylor
10-11-06, 09:38 AM
"Should I go dual core?" is a dumb question. YES!

So the FX chips are a bad purchase at this point?

Riptide
10-11-06, 10:17 AM
Nothing wrong with the FX chips at this point, though they have never been a good value vs. the other CPUs in the lineup. Honestly though I doubt the 57 is going to be a good overclocker. 2.8 is close to where that architecture tops out without some serious cooling.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 11:43 AM
Nothing wrong with the FX chips at this point, though they have never been a good value vs. the other CPUs in the lineup. Honestly though I doubt the 57 is going to be a good overclocker. 2.8 is close to where that architecture tops out without some serious cooling.
It's a ncie purchase for thosen people who have 939 and don't want to switch mobo or upgrade to conroe right now.

Xion X2
10-11-06, 01:27 PM
Nah, FX-series is a waste right now, especially the FX-55 since it's single-core. You can get an X2 for half the price of an FX or less and get very similar speeds/performance.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 04:34 PM
Nah, FX-series is a waste right now, especially the FX-55 since it's single-core. You can get an X2 for half the price of an FX or less and get very similar speeds/performance.
I agree, it is a waste of money, and the X2 series would be better price/performace.