PDA

View Full Version : This is Crazy! MSI Motherboard won't detect PS2/Keyboard when attached inside case?

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 12:41 AM
Okay, I guys I really need your help to trouble shoot this one. I just got done building a barebone system for a friend. The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4-F and everything fully works. The problem is when I make contact internally with the MSI Motherbard to the case. When ever I do this my PS2 and keyboard will not detect or even any USB devices for that matter. I bootup the computer and the following error message appears no PS2/Keyboard detected. Now check this out! when I unscrewed the MSI Motherboard and just left everything plugged in and set the MSI motherboard outside of the case everything works 100% with no problems detecting PS2/Keyboard mouse etc. etc. What should I do to fix the problem? Could it be something grounded wrong or a short on the case or could it be metal touching metal problems?

I've even attached a picture of what the case looks like 360 style! :maxshoot: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811209018

a12ctic
10-11-06, 12:44 AM
I have the neo 4 -f and i experienced some usb problems from the go, just flash the bios and itll be good to go.

Starscream
10-11-06, 12:50 AM
The only time I've seen something like this is when the motherboard is shorting out on something in the case.

Make sure you don't have any standoffs in the wrong spots and that the ATX I/O backplane cover has it's tabs bent up and they aren't sliding INTO the usb ports or nic for instance.

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 12:51 AM
I have the neo 4 -f and i experienced some usb problems from the go, just flash the bios and itll be good to go.

Did you read what I just posted? It works when not attached inside the case mate. Plus the OS is Windows XP x64 Edition. MSI Live update 3 software hates Windows XP x64 for the record.

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 12:57 AM
The only time I've seen something like this is when the motherboard is shorting out on something in the case.

Make sure you don't have any standoffs in the wrong spots and that the ATX I/O backplane cover has it's tabs bent up and they aren't sliding INTO the usb ports or nic for instance.

I even had the Motherboard RMA to MSI and they fully tested the board and it worked perfectly. Now it's got to be the I/O back plate or standoffs which are those small screw like holes that thread into the case just before you screw the motherboard on them.

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 01:20 AM

Would you please advise me if my Bios version is the most current?
I'm currently using MSI Bios version: 5.2050406 is this the most current to date bios from MSI a12ctic? :)

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 01:35 AM
I dont know exactly but I would have to go aith a12ctic on this one and saya flash the bios.

AthlonXP1800
10-11-06, 01:48 AM
I had the same symptom about 10 years ago when the motherboard wont detected the keyboard and I read the motherboard manual for troubleshooting about no keyboard detected, it likely caused by tighted screwed the motherboard. Then I unscrewed the motherboard lightly and finally the keyboard was detected. I realised tighted screwed can bend and could damage the motherboard.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 01:50 AM
I had the same symptom about 10 years ago when the motherboard wont detected the keyboard and I read the motherboard manual for troubleshooting about no keyboard detected, it likely caused by tighted screwed the motherboard. Then I unscrewed the motherboard lightly and finally the keyboard was detected. I realised tighted screwed can bend and could damage the motherboard.
Ya, you have to watch out for not tightening it too much...i almost broke mine when i built my first rig..:tiki:

rombat
10-11-06, 02:04 AM
Digital_Trans, I agree with Starscream, your motherboard is shorting out on either your case or your standoff. Make sure you look around to see if you motherboard (edges of your motherboard) is making any contact with your case or any stray standoff that you missed, but it definitely the motherboard shorting out on something. You already proved it buy taking the motherboard out of the case, it works. ;)

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 02:06 AM
So is my MSI bios version current? I can't check since Live Update 3 doesn't support Windows XP X64 Edition. Again, my current MSI Bios version is version: 5.2050406 is there a newer one? Also please note that MSI ran a 24-Hour test on this board and they ended up shipping it right back to me. So it can't be the board at this point unless MSI is just dumber then a box of rocks?
:maxshoot:MSI!

CaptNKILL
10-11-06, 02:16 AM
Yep, you've got a bad ground.

Check for anything sticking up from the motherboard tray or anything sticking too far down on the back of the motherboard (especially around screw mounts).

And just PRAY that you havent toasted anything. Its likely that the board took some damage during the shorting\bad grounding, but its possible that everything will work fine once you get rid of the grounding problem.

Make sure to check every port on the back of your board. If any of them dont work for some reason (even when outside the board) you'll probably have to RMA it. I had this happen on a customers machine once because of a poorly designed case combined with poorly "trimmed" solder points on the back of the board. Went through 2 boards before we found the problem (I then clipped back the ends of the solder points with some wire cutters), but it had already screwed up the 3rd board. With the *4th* we just went with another case because it wasnt worth the risk of it happening again.

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 03:00 AM
I hope my friend buys a better case. I don't like the one that's creating
problems for us. The internal design sucks a$$. You get what you pay for.
Cheap is cheap...and that will always remain a solid statement.

Rummy
10-11-06, 03:42 AM
5/22/06 is the latest bios it is bios 1.D. I have that board and never had any problems with it. Sorry to say, but it does sound like a grounding issue. Maybe try it in another case.
pcb ver 1.0 is the black pcb

pcb ver 3.0 is the red board. Which one do you have the bios are different. The black one is ver 1.D dated 5/22/06. The red is ver 5.3 dated 7/21/06. let me know which version you have

SLippe
10-11-06, 03:56 AM
Yup, I agree, a grounding issue you have. (Yoda voice)

crainger
10-11-06, 07:07 AM
I hope my friend buys a better case. I don't like the one that's creating
problems for us. The internal design sucks a$$. You get what you pay for.
Cheap is cheap...and that will always remain a solid statement.

CM Stacker 830 FT:tiki:W

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 09:36 AM
5/22/06 is the latest bios it is bios 1.D. I have that board and never had any problems with it. Sorry to say, but it does sound like a grounding issue. Maybe try it in another case.
pcb ver 1.0 is the black pcb

pcb ver 3.0 is the red board. Which one do you have the bios are different. The black one is ver 1.D dated 5/22/06. The red is ver 5.3 dated 7/21/06. let me know which version you have

I checked in the system bios and it reads the following bioa version: 5.2050406 I can't use MSI Live Update 3 because it doesn't support Windows XP X64 Edition. So this is the only way I've been able to check the bios version is going into the system bios and checking the version it lists. And the only thing I found was bios version 5.2050406

Rummy
10-11-06, 02:59 PM
Can you flash the bios outside the case? Here is a link for it if you have the RED board.:)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=727&kind=1

Sorry you are having trouble with the board:thumbdwn:

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 03:31 PM
Can you flash the bios outside the case? Here is a link for it if you have the RED board.:)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=727&kind=1

Sorry you are having trouble with the board:thumbdwn:

Yes, the MSI Board is red but this computer doesn't have a 3 1/2 Floppy disc drive on it. So which way should I try to flash the bios with Version 5.3?

Rummy
10-11-06, 03:54 PM
Hold on....

Rummy
10-11-06, 04:06 PM
Here's a comprehensive guide/"howto" to make a dos boot cd with bios file and the dosflasher included.
http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-cd.htm

Digital_Trans
10-11-06, 04:44 PM
Here's a comprehensive guide/"howto" to make a dos boot cd with bios file and the dosflasher included.
http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-cd.htm

Great! Thanks for being a huge help on the NV News Forum! (nana2)
I'm not sure if this will correct my problem or not but it's worth a try! Thanks again Rum Cooler.

Rummy
10-11-06, 05:05 PM
np sorry you have to jump through hoops with this mb. It really is stable and never had any problems with it. Good luck let us know what happens:captnkill: