PDA

View Full Version : My P5N32-SLI SE and Network Problems

mojoRT
10-11-06, 08:21 AM
Hi,

I'm having a problem with my network connection and I hope you guys can help =).

Motherboard: P5N32-SLI SE ; BIOS 501 (Latest Beta)
CPU: E6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 667
Video: BFG 7900 GT
HDD: Seagate 7200.10
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
Windows XP Pro SP2

Router: D-Link 624 Wireless G Extreme (2 years old) connected to Bell Sympatico HSE

I have 3 computers connected to this router (2 wireless and 1 by cable(this one) )

1) Currently Iím connected using the Marvell Network Adapter (the top one). I understand that the bottom one is a nForce Network Adapter; which one do you guys use and which one do you recommend using?

2) I donít think I installed the nForce firewall thing because I canít find the option to enable/disable it anywhere, but everytime I use this network adapter, my bit torrent application says that my connection is firewalled and my torrents all have connection problems. I donít think itís the windows firewall because the Marvell port does not exhibit this issue. Whatís the problem here? Does the nForce network adapter have another firewall or some other kind of hardware/software security that the Marvell doesnít have?

3) The most annoying problem: I connect to my router via Crossover Cable (don't have a long enough straight through) and leave my computer on for a long period of time. I've noticed that after a day or two, the network just stops working.

My torrents stop, Internet doesn't work, and I canít see my other computes on the work group. The status of the network is ďConnectedĒ but it seems to only ďsendĒ and never ďreceivedĒ packets. What I have to do is restart my computer and everything works againÖ (for a day or two until it does the same thing). Itís happened every time and Iím wondering ifÖ

Itís my router, or is it the network cable, or itís the motherboard?

Anyone else experience these issues or know anything about it?

Thanks!

lduguay
10-11-06, 01:32 PM
Is your computer using a static IP or a DHCP address?
If you are using a DHCP address try using a static IP (out of the DHCP address range).
What about your other computers, do they loose connectivity also, or just this one.
Or type "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and report the result here.

mojoRT
10-11-06, 03:36 PM
Is your computer using a static IP or a DHCP address?
If you are using a DHCP address try using a static IP (out of the DHCP address range).
What about your other computers, do they loose connectivity also, or just this one.
Or type "ipconfig /all" in a command prompt and report the result here.

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure which mode I'm using. I just left it as the default when I got it. The computers get assigned an IP address of 192.168.0.X where X is a sequential number based on which computer connects first.

I've never had this problem before (wireless or wired). Never had a problem with the network cable I'm using either.

When it disconnects again, i'll do an ipconfig /all and let you know. Thanks!

lduguay
10-12-06, 06:51 AM
So you are using DHCP. After grabbing the "ipconfig /all" output, try "ipconfig /renew" and see if you regain connectivity.
If it does not work, try restarting the DHCP client service.
If it still not working, assign a static address something like 192.168.0.250
Make sure it is out of range as you do not want a duplicate ip on your network.