PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to buy Windows XP SP2?

stevemedes
10-11-06, 04:33 PM
Preferably Professional edition.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 04:35 PM
Well, Newegg has XP Pro SP@ for 139.99 right now. That's pretty low for it. If you look around you might be able to find lower. Just watch out for scam sites.

crainger
10-11-06, 04:45 PM
If you can, keep an eye out for Academic versions. This is available to anyone, MS no longer require proof you are a student or teacher.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 04:46 PM
If you can, keep an eye out for Academic versions. This is available to anyone, MS no longer require proof you are a student or teacher.
No way?!?!

Where could you find an academic version of pro?

WimpMiester
10-11-06, 07:41 PM
www.edirectsoftware.com

Is the cheapest place I know of.

Bearclaw
10-11-06, 09:46 PM
www.edirectsoftware.com

Is the cheapest place I know of.
Is it legit?

WimpMiester
10-12-06, 12:27 AM
Is it legit?

Yes it is, they sell mostly OEM software with no documentation. They have info on their site about being legit you can read up on.

crainger
10-12-06, 01:59 AM
No way?!?!

Where could you find an academic version of pro?

All over. Here in AU just about any store that sells XP will have the Academic version.

BTW the Academic version only comes in Pro.

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 02:20 AM
Yes it is, they sell mostly OEM software with no documentation. They have info on their site about being legit you can read up on.
Ya, I was reading some of the stuff on the site. You can just never tell in this day and age.

saturnotaku
10-12-06, 06:23 AM
If you're looking at XP Professional, I would suggest getting Media Center Edition. It's cheaper ($109.99 at Newegg) and sacrifices little functionality. The Media Center features are nice as well, especially if you plan to watch TV on your PC or have an Xbox 360.

stevemedes
10-12-06, 09:08 AM
If you're looking at XP Professional, I would suggest getting Media Center Edition. It's cheaper ($109.99 at Newegg) and sacrifices little functionality. The Media Center features are nice as well, especially if you plan to watch TV on your PC or have an Xbox 360.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Sat

Banko
10-12-06, 09:22 AM
Well if you need the ability to connect to a domain controller (no idea if the OP does) then Media Center will not work.

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 10:12 AM
You could just wait for vista also. Prices will surely drop even mroe on the XP packages.

saturnotaku
10-12-06, 01:42 PM
Well if you need the ability to connect to a domain controller (no idea if the OP does) then Media Center will not work.

Since the OP used the word preferably in his first post, I worked on the assumption that he didn't necessarily need such advanced features. Heck, the only reason I used Professional myself was because I got it through university (volume licensing FTW!!1).

To the OP - if you decide to get Media Center, it should come packaged with three CDs. Two are for the initial installation, one is a roll-up update disc with patches for Media Center features and such. Just so you know, the roll-up requires that .NET be installed first, and it's not included on that disc, so make sure you have that installer handy.

stevemedes
10-12-06, 02:14 PM
Since the OP used the word preferably in his first post, I worked on the assumption that he didn't necessarily need such advanced features. Heck, the only reason I used Professional myself was because I got it through university (volume licensing FTW!!1).

To the OP - if you decide to get Media Center, it should come packaged with three CDs. Two are for the initial installation, one is a roll-up update disc with patches for Media Center features and such. Just so you know, the roll-up requires that .NET be installed first, and it's not included on that disc, so make sure you have that installer handy.

Yea I don't necessarily need Pro, i just see thats what alot of people are running.

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 05:05 PM
Yea I don't necessarily need Pro, i just see thats what alot of people are running.
Ya media center will do fine. Anything is better than the home version from what I have heard. ALTHOUGH, with vista comig out soon, you could wait. OR are you planning on using XP for a while still?

stevemedes
10-12-06, 08:57 PM
Ya media center will do fine. Anything is better than the home version from what I have heard. ALTHOUGH, with vista comig out soon, you could wait. OR are you planning on using XP for a while still?

What is the pricing for Vista? If its >175 USD I'm not going to get it until I really have to.