PDA

View Full Version : Windows not recognizing 6 series card

phosphorousgobu
10-11-06, 05:19 PM
Alright, I helped a friend install some sort of GeForce 6 Series card in his Compaq a few months ago. It's been working fine for him.

Recently, he was computing, when he accidentally knocked something (I think he said a textbook) off his desk. He says it landed on his power strip, and turned his computer off. When he turned it back on, his monitor said "No Input". So, he plugged his monitor back into his onboard display adapter, and he can use his computer again.

The problem is that now, Windows isn't detecting his GeForce 6 card. He says that it doesn't show up in the Device Manager, under Display Adapters. Also, the Detect New Hardware wizard isn't coming up with anything.

I figured that his BIOS was pissed off at him for the power being cut. Personally? My computer will act funky if I lose power while I'm computing. In my cases, going to the BIOS menu and loading the setup defaults makes everything kosher.

I talked him through doing it over the phone, and he did it. However, Windows STILL won't detect his nVidia.

Right now, I have him checking inside his case to make sure the card is seated into the AGP slot, and that the power cable is properly attached. I don't know if this will help, though.

I don't remember the specifics of his computer. It's some sort of relatively new Compaq Presario. It has an Athlon 3200+, I think? One gig of RAM, and a 160 Gig hard drive.

The card is some sort of GeForce 6 series, maybe a 6600? Sorry I don't know the specifics.

Any recommendations?

(wack)

DataMatrix
10-11-06, 05:27 PM
Hmm, if he got a display during boot, until inside Windows, I would have said corrupted drivers, although I think he may have fried his card.

phosphorousgobu
10-11-06, 05:36 PM
lol, never mind.

I was talking to him over the phone about it. He was inside his case, and said everything was plugged up. I was trying to see if the card was firmly seated and that the power cable was plugged in completely. We were having trouble communicating due to my nomenclature (he was checking the motherboard plugs or something). He said he was going to take a picture and sent it to me over AIM.

10 minutes later, he signs on AIM and says his roomate fixed it. Loose plug, aparently.

So, never mind :-p