PDA

View Full Version : Do i need thermal Grease for my core2?

Nv40
10-12-06, 01:39 PM
I bought a brand new E6600 ..(nana2)

it looks like it comes with some grease glued to the cooper metal in the heatsink. Was wondering if i need to buy extra thermal grease or not... i have plans to overclock but not too much , because i want this cpu to last at least 5 years . any thoughts..???

jAkUp
10-12-06, 01:42 PM
The retail heatsink comes with thermal greese already applied, so you just need to peel off the sticker, then place the fan.

Sazar
10-12-06, 01:47 PM
If you don't want to use the supplied grease, then you can just clean it off and apply your own (arctic silver, or whatever you choose) and go from there. Better for oc'ing.

The stock grease will work fine for the interim if you don't currently have grease. Just don't oc too much (or at all) would be my suggestion.

lightman
10-12-06, 01:50 PM
The retail heatsink comes with thermal greese already applied, so you just need to peel off the sticker, then place the fan.

Ditto. Although from my past experiences with P III/4 stock coolers, it isn't really good (technically, it isn't even thermal paste, it's a thermal pad which melts), so I would suggest anyway to remove it (with, e.g., Arctic Silver Clean (which is, btw, incredibly good)), and then use AS5 or AS Ceramique. Way better results, lower temps, and thus lower noise from the stock fan ;)