PDA

View Full Version : Activision games distributed via STEAM

rudedog
10-12-06, 02:21 PM
This sounds interesting:

Valve has just announced that major publisher Activision is the latest game industry company to pledge support for Valve's successful Steam digital delivery service. Recently, publisher Majesco made several of its games, including Double Fine's Psychonauts, available via Steam, and various independent developers have used Steam as a primary distribution channel for their games. Today's deal will see four Activision games on the service: Infinity Ward's Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2, Grey Matter's Call of Duty United Offensive, and Neversoft's Gun.

Details such as pricing and availability dates were not revealed. "Activision has been a player on every major gaming platform dating back to the Atari 2600," said Valve co-counder and president Gabe Newell. "We're delighted to welcome them to Steam, and offer this legendary company's products."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/44238

|MaguS|
10-12-06, 02:23 PM
Sweet!

GlowStick
10-12-06, 02:57 PM
How ironic the game developer is now publishing for the publisher!

OWA
10-12-06, 02:58 PM
Sweet!
I agree if by "sweet" you mean this sucks! :)

Gaco
10-12-06, 03:07 PM
Cool!

stncttr908
10-12-06, 03:48 PM
I agree if by "sweet" you mean this sucks! :)
Who cares? It gives consumers another option. You can still go to the store and get your box if you want it. :rolleyes:

OWA
10-12-06, 04:02 PM
What I'm afraid of is it catching on and being the only means of distribution. As long as there is an alternative, it's fine by me.

Sazar
10-12-06, 04:11 PM
The alternatives don't seem to be around much init?

Didn't the PREY content delivery thinger just fold.

I love STEAM.

OWA
10-12-06, 04:12 PM
I meant retail. As long as I can still go to a store a buy a copy, I'm fine with whatever online distribution systems they come up with.

Edit: Going through the update process and friend request invites every time I launch a steam game is just great. I love that it takes 3 or 4 minutes for a game to launch while I go through this process. Of course, I guess I could block all of this or better yet, not use steam ;)

Redeemed
10-12-06, 05:03 PM
I meant retail. As long as I can still go to a store a buy a copy, I'm fine with whatever online distribution systems they come up with.

Edit: Going through the update process and friend request invites every time I launch a steam game is just great. I love that it takes 3 or 4 minutes for a game to launch while I go through this process. Of course, I guess I could block all of this or better yet, not use steam ;)

I seldom have that problem. Only occassionally do I have to wait while steam updates a game, or updates the steam platform itself. And adding friends with Steam isn't any more difficult to do than with instant messaging or such.

I fully support Steam, though I've never bought a single game through it. I do like how I know my games are always up to date, and I don't have to worry about manually updating them and installing the latest patches. With steam, it is all automatic.

And as far as stability issues, never has steam caused any stability issues for me.

nekrosoft13
10-12-06, 09:10 PM
Valve announces the addition of the Call of Duty series and GUN to their Steam online store, saying they will be offering GUN, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty, and Call of Duty: United Offensive. Call of Duty, Call of Duty United Offensive, and GUN will all be priced at $19.95. Call of Duty 2 will be priced at $39.95. All four games are expected to launch this month.They also announced that City Life, Monte Cristo's urban-planning game is now available via Steam for $39.95.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=22492

koolhonda
10-12-06, 11:51 PM
I have no problem with buying games through Steam, it's the having to use Steam even if you buy a hardcopy retail that yanks my chain.

K-1
10-13-06, 12:38 AM
damn, still $40 for CoD2, when's that sucker gonna drop in price!

koolhonda
10-13-06, 12:45 AM
Best Buy had it for $30 awhile back, but they list it at $40 now as well. I regret having it:thumbdwn:, and I don't even have to use Steam to play it;)

nVidi0t
10-13-06, 12:46 AM
Does this mean Quake Wars will be on STEAM?

crainger
10-13-06, 12:56 AM
Does this mean Quake Wars will be on STEAM?

Makes sense. So I hope so.

OWA
10-13-06, 09:29 AM
I seldom have that problem. Only occassionally do I have to wait while steam updates a game, or updates the steam platform itself. And adding friends with Steam isn't any more difficult to do than with instant messaging or such.

I fully support Steam, though I've never bought a single game through it. I do like how I know my games are always up to date, and I don't have to worry about manually updating them and installing the latest patches. With steam, it is all automatic.

And as far as stability issues, never has steam caused any stability issues for me.
I just don't like the intrusion. It's like they have some random generator for friends request. Out of the 6 I blocked when I started HL2 (to get the screencaps), one of them was actually my username. What's up with that? I wasn't complaining about how hard it is to add someone, I was complaining about the fact that I have to go through the step of blocking all these friend requests when I'm just trying to start a game.

I also don't like anything updating automatically. I turn off automatic updates with windows as well. Basically, I want to choose when I have the time to go through an update process or when I want to have a patch installed, etc. I have to go through the updates almost every time I launch a steam game but I don't play steam games very often so that's probably why.

Anyway, I think I read that you can turn off the automatic updates and the friends stuff so that's all I need to do instead of complaining about it. :)

Also, I'm not totally against online delivery of games. I have a few direct2drive games, 1 triton game, and a few steam games. Occasionally, it's nice to download a game instead of going to the store to buy one. I just don't want the online delivery of games to be the main way to get them. The more companies that jump on the bandwagon, the closer I think we are with that becoming the standard delivery method (which will probably eventually reduce the number of titles available at retail).