PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for buck mother board

Vanzagar
10-12-06, 07:03 PM
My current motherboard isn't booting anymore and I go into the BIOS it won't even detect my hard drives. I've taking every component out and unplugged every accessory, I'm not positive my mobo's fried but pretty sure. Only other think it could be is the CPU, I have 2 stick of ram, I've pulled one out and swapped it with the other one and the problem still remains...:thumbdwn:

Anyways was wondering what anyone thinks would be the best bang for my buck replacement motherboard for my aging system:

-> failed mobo = Chaintech nVidia nForce4 Ultra Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra"
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939P, Mushkin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency: 2.5-3-3
Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 7900GT, PCI-Express
Samsung 160GB Sata, 8MB Buffer, 7200 RPM, 8.9 ms AST
Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Beige
ViewSonic G790 19" monitor

In a year or so I would like to upgrade my CPU and get another 7900GT and run them in SLI, I have a 550W power supply right now, not sure if that will be enough...

Thanks for any suggestions...

rhuala

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 07:42 PM
Are you interested in core 2 duo at all? If so, now would be the good time to upgrade to a core 2 duo chip. The cheapest one is 180 in some places. Not bad at all. If not I would reccommend AM2, that way you can upgrade later when you decide to. 939 is dead nowadays, nothing mroe ocming out for it.,

Vanzagar
10-12-06, 08:29 PM
So then you're saying my current cpu wouldn't work correct, sorry for my currrent stay of mobo ignorance? Hmm, what's a decent priced cpu to go with that mobo? I wonder how much I could get for my current cpu on ebay?

Do you have any good links benchmarking the latest core 2 duo, also, where are they on the reliablilty and stability curve right now...

Thanks,

rhuala

Bearclaw
10-12-06, 09:13 PM
Well. You could stick with another 939 board but they are dead right now. If you plan on upgrading AMD has the new AM2 socket out. That would be the way to go when planning on future upgrades.

Intel however, finally got their act together and released the Core2Duo chip. They are the best ones out there right now. If you look aorund you can find plenty of benchmarks for them.

That said, if you just want a new cheap motherboard for the time being, just go with a 939. I have a Asus A8N deluxe which I got for about 170 U.S. dollars. It is down to about 100 now on newegg. I would suggest that. If you plan on overclocking then go with a DFI.

Vanzagar
10-14-06, 12:24 PM
I guess I don't want to spend a $1000 right now on a new mobo, cpu and memory, so I think I'l get an sli 939 mobo, I looked at the one you recommended Bearclaw, and it seemed a little pricey, well for dead technolgy anyways, what do you guys think of this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540R

I'm thinking I'll upgrade later when the dual core has settled down and Vista is released - for now I would just like a reliable sli mobo that will get my machine up and running again without throwing away too much cash...

Would I see much benefit in going to the mobo you recommended over the cheaper one I found?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131517

... given my system above...
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939P, Mushkin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency: 2.5-3-3
Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce 7900GT, PCI-Express

Thanks,

rhuala