PDA

View Full Version : New PC Power and Cooling PSU

jAkUp
10-12-06, 11:01 PM
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1106468&page=1&pp=20

1 72A rail! :captnkill:

stevemedes
10-12-06, 11:08 PM
I wonder if the draw on those big PSU's is noticeable on your monthly power bill

Rytr
10-12-06, 11:13 PM
Shouldn't be unless you are actually drawing that much power.

Bearclaw
10-13-06, 02:16 AM
Wow. Components just keep getting bigger, better and more awesome.

I love it.

sillyeagle
10-13-06, 03:07 AM
Good god, I can't say what I see in that thread makes me exicted or happy in any way. I can't believe how rediculously expensive it is getting to play "computer games".

I still don't see why they are claiming you need to tack on 350watts to run a 2nd G80. I don't buy it.

Bearclaw
10-13-06, 03:35 AM
Good god, I can't say what I see in that thread makes me exicted or happy in any way. I can't believe how rediculously expensive it is getting to play "computer games".

I still don't see why they are claiming you need to tack on 350watts to run a 2nd G80. I don't buy it.
I hate how expensive it is getting also. I meant I just like reading about Pc's and new pc products in general.

sillyeagle
10-13-06, 04:05 AM
I hate how expensive it is getting also. I meant I just like reading about Pc's and new pc products in general.

Yeah that part is awesome. lol

Xion X2
10-13-06, 03:24 PM
Ha! I swear, I've been shouting it from the rooftops for months now. It's all about the amperage on the 12v rail. And these multi-rail PSU's just haven't been up to the task so far. Sometimes they won't pull from the other rails at all. That's why I've stuck with this 38A Silverstone.

I'm going to look into the price of this bad-boy, but I'm sure it's the cost of a donated kidney or more.

Xion X2
10-13-06, 03:25 PM

Would it have anything to do with powering two PCIEx16 slots on your mobo, instead of one?

Maybe it's not taking into account just the power-draw of the card itself, but the mobo and the entire SLi system.

Xion X2
10-13-06, 03:28 PM
Is this really needed for G80 SLI? I don't think so...

I don't know about Intel systems, but I and some friends have had some really sh!tty luck with multi-rail PSU's on AMD systems. On 3 separate builds we've seen multi-rail PSU's fail with just a heavy OC on the processor and grafx cards. And all three of these PSU's were from reputable companies: CoolerMaster, Antec, and Thermaltake. And all three were rated at 550W or above with at least 18A on each rail.

Multi-rail PSU's suck, IMO. This might be the wave of the future of PCP&C is going this route. This thing sounds kickass.

Xion X2
10-13-06, 03:33 PM
PC P&C is now accepting pre-orders on their new 1000 Watt (1KW) Turbo-Cool PSU,
with a single +12V rail, +12V@72A (864W).

Price $529, shipping to begin 10-19-06.

Holy hell.. even more than I thought. Single 8800GTX here we come. I think the 38A Silverstone I have is up to that task.

Xion X2
10-13-06, 07:31 PM
I had the Antec TPII 550W first with my AMD X2 setup with two 7800GTX. It wasn't up to the task! So I imported the 850SSI for overclocking... I had the same problems.

Yeah, that's the same Antec that failed on me before. Unfortunately, I'm still using it to power my X2 system with because I swapped out my Silverstone to use in my Conroe system.

The TPII didn't actually shutdown, but under a heavy overclock on the CPU and GPU my case fans would literally slow down under full load. That was with my GTX, X2, 2 HDD's, two combo-drives, and 5 case fans. It seems to be doing better now that I've taken out two case fans and a HDD, but I still get a lower super-pi score(!) with this PSU in my system as opposed to the Silverstone. My superpi times went down a full second!

I heard someone mention one time that adding the y-cable to power your graphics card might fix this issue. You take two different molexes from the PSU and plug them both into the y-adapter that comes with the videocard (mine came with this) and that adapter feeds two power-lines into a single PCI-E molex that plugs into the grafx card. Has anyone tried this yet? I might try it and see if I can tell a difference. The individual(s) who claimed this said it forced the PSU to pull off its second 12v rail.

Bman212121
10-14-06, 02:14 AM
Somehow I just don't see system builders putting in an 800W PSU just to get their pc up and running. Most of the dell's we have now only have 300W PSUs running PD 3.4GHZ processors. The graphics card isn't as big but the rest of the system is power hungry and running just fine.

Redeemed
10-14-06, 06:05 AM
Hmm...

I've got a TTGI 550watt PSU that seems to be doing great so far. Haven't noticed any problem yet- though I'm not running anything nearly as power hungry as a GTX, GX2, or X2. :(

Will be soon enough though! :D

a12ctic
10-14-06, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's the same Antec that failed on me before. Unfortunately, I'm still using it to power my X2 system with because I swapped out my Silverstone to use in my Conroe system.

The TPII didn't actually shutdown, but under a heavy overclock on the CPU and GPU my case fans would literally slow down under full load. That was with my GTX, X2, 2 HDD's, two combo-drives, and 5 case fans. It seems to be doing better now that I've taken out two case fans and a HDD, but I still get a lower super-pi score(!) with this PSU in my system as opposed to the Silverstone. My superpi times went down a full second!

I heard someone mention one time that adding the y-cable to power your graphics card might fix this issue. You take two different molexes from the PSU and plug them both into the y-adapter that comes with the videocard (mine came with this) and that adapter feeds two power-lines into a single PCI-E molex that plugs into the grafx card. Has anyone tried this yet? I might try it and see if I can tell a difference. The individual(s) who claimed this said it forced the PSU to pull off its second 12v rail.
your mad about a second? when i use windows instead of linux it goes down a hole 13 seconds :(

Xion X2
10-15-06, 09:34 AM
your mad about a second? when i use windows instead of linux it goes down a hole 13 seconds :(

When you spend as much money on your system as I have, then yes, even a second makes me upset. Those who spend 560$ on a grafx card and 460$ on a processor usually do so because they're trying to gain every little increase in performance that they can get. But more than that, I'm mad that I get any performance decrease at all just by using a flippin' dual-rail power-supply as opposed to a single-rail! And I'm more mad that I couldn't find anybody reporting this problem before I went with a dual-rail power-supply for my system.

I found a few obscure reviews after the fact warning people about them, but they were just that. Obscure. Not enough reporting on the issue.