PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players w/removable batteries

saturnotaku
10-13-06, 08:29 AM
I'm looking for a portable MP3 player that I can take to work, on the road, etc. While iPods are cool and everything, I don't want to use iTunes and I don't like the fact that you can't replace the battery.

I would prefer a flash-based player as I don't want to spend more than $200, but I'm having a hard time finding information on players that have removable, replacable batteries. There's a Creative that has one, but it's Creative. Ideas/suggestions on decent players will be appreciated.

Spyke
10-15-06, 05:11 AM
1 word: Sandisk

CaptNKILL
10-15-06, 06:20 AM
I really like my Creative MUVO 512Mb.

It works really well, sounds good and if you unhook the two pieces (one is the memory "stick" with the usb connector, the other holds the battery) the AAA battery holds the charge for a really long time when its not in use. Most devices will require you to remove the battery from the device itself to get this kind of life out of it. It doesnt seem like a big deal, but unless you use the thing 24\7, this will save you a lot of battery recharge time over a similar model that drains while not in use.

Another big plus is that it plugs directly into a USB port with no cables, so it doubles as a USB drive too.

Xion X2
10-15-06, 03:06 PM
I've recently switched from the Creative Zen V to an iPod nano. I never used to like the sound of itunes either, until I started using it.

With itunes, once you buy a song you can take it anywhere. No stupid digital signatures blocking your access like every other music service out there I've heard of (including napster, which I've used.) itunes also transfers music much faster than the napster account I was using before. Much more user-friendly overall. Much more refined. But in the end, it comes down to your preference.

And about the battery, I'm not too concerned about it. The new nano has 24 hours battery life compared to only 14 like my Zen had. Hopefully it'll last for quite a while. I haven't seen another player that has as bright an LCD screen as the new Nano and battery life at 24+ hrs. I love it so far.

|MaguS|
10-15-06, 03:11 PM
Creative Micro has a removable battery... I love mine but had been using it less and less due to my Cell Phone having MP3 capablities.

a12ctic
10-15-06, 06:20 PM
1 word: Sandisk
Definatly, the e200 players are AMAZING have had mine for about a month now, its the best player ive ever used, the 8gig is around 200$ and its flash based.

Arioch
10-15-06, 07:00 PM
I have a Creative Zen with 1GB memory that uses a single AA battery. While it doesn't have all the features of the more expensive players it was well worth the $50 I paid for it.

shaker718
10-16-06, 04:47 PM
My friend just bought the 2gb sandisk sansa player and its a pretty cool little player. Lots of features, small, plays FM radio and video. No removable battery though, so he got a car charger for it since he travels around a bit. On the same note, I bought the Zen V M 30gb player today. It's friggin awesome, not flash based but if you're going to spend 200 bucks for a few gigs, might as well pop the extra 30 bucks and get the best player out there and just buy a car charger. Oh, and it's not an Ipod. Just my 2cents.

Absolution
10-16-06, 05:03 PM
iRiver ultraportable

battery lasts for probably 6-8 hours at least

mine also supported USB mass storage or whatever the hell it is called (basically it can functions as a thumb drive if you just plug it in)

Gnu_Raiz
10-17-06, 10:01 AM
I would also suggest an Iriver device, the one I have is a few years old, is flash based, and allows you to switch out the battery. It take's a AA battery and last for a good 10-12 hours of songs. The best thing about it is it supports ogg, and other formats.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/t10/T10-2GB.aspx

This is what my device is in it's current form, they also have one based on a AAA battery. Since I use rechargeable batteries it's a great way to enjoy music. You can also use it in your car, just buy one of those tape adapters with a cord out the back and plug in your player into the cord, and you can listen to it in your car.

Gnu_Raiz

nekrosoft13
10-17-06, 10:57 AM
creative zen, are great

i finally got rid of my ipod, just couldn't stand that piece of **** anymore

now i got Creative Zen Vision W

saturnotaku
10-17-06, 01:08 PM
My friend just bought the 2gb sandisk sansa player and its a pretty cool little player. Lots of features, small, plays FM radio and video. No removable battery though, so he got a car charger for it since he travels around a bit.

I just ordered the Sansa e250. I like the size and screen. It also does have a removable battery that costs $20 to replace, plus there's the expansion micro SD slot. The 2 GB one was $110 at Circuit City. It's an online price, but you can still do in-store pickup, which is what I'll be doing on my way home from work tonight. :)

stncttr908
10-17-06, 02:32 PM
I just ordered the Sansa e250. I like the size and screen. It also does have a removable battery that costs $20 to replace, plus there's the expansion micro SD slot. The 2 GB one was $110 at Circuit City. It's an online price, but you can still do in-store pickup, which is what I'll be doing on my way home from work tonight. :)
Nice. Mine is in the mail from Buy.com for $79.95 AR. :D

I ordered a case online for about $10 to protect it from smudges and scratches.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=426375&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

saturnotaku
10-17-06, 03:08 PM
Nice. Mine is in the mail from Buy.com for $79.95 AR.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of waiting for shipping as I'm leaving on a business trip tomorrow. :o

a12ctic
10-17-06, 03:39 PM
Nice. Mine is in the mail from Buy.com for $79.95 AR. :D

I ordered a case online for about $10 to protect it from smudges and scratches.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=426375&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
you know that the screen is scratch resistant, although it does smudge a LOT

The back of the player is made from Liquidmetal and the front is a hard glossy plastic. The plastic is not the same plastic found on the Zen Vision:M or the iPod, which is very susceptible to scratching from normal use. The plastic found on the e200 is much more resistant to scratching. It is not to say it won’t scratch, but it holds up very well for everyday use.
after 2 months of use, not a single scratch, although theres TONS of finger prints heh