PDA

View Full Version : Low Frame Rate in FEAR.... 15 fps constant...

Pages : [1] 2

Xenozx
10-13-06, 09:10 PM
OK, so I have:

AMD Dual core Opteron 165 304x9 (2.74 ghz) @ 1.47v
DFI Lanparty Expert SLI motherboard
2 GB (1024x2) Mushkin DDR 500 (@ 497 mhz 3-3-3-7)
1 EVGA 7950 GX2 (615/1600)
480 watt Antec neopower Modular
1 74GB WD Raptor
3dmark 2006 score = 9000

I easily score 9000 in 3Dmark 2006

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=362094

I have recently decided to go back and play some FEAR as the expansion will drop soon and I never actually beat the game.

Well I can launch the game, and all menu's movies, and the game itself are like cappped at 15 fps. I have done:

1.) Tried 3 different Nvida drivers, 2 beta's and the main on on Nvidia's site
2.) Tried all settings from 1600x1200 to like 1024x768, and it doesnt matter get about the same performance either way.
3.) Have reinstalled windows Twice.
4.) Have tried all types of rendering (multi GPU, Split screen rendering, and alternate screen rendering)
5.) shut off Vsync. turned off all optimizations in Nvidia control panel.
6.) tried Normal Clocked and overclocked.
7.) have the 1.7 retail patch

Now, heres where it gets interesting. I was playing it before I had to reinstall windows and I was getting INSANE FPS. Was running at 1600x1200 w/ everything maxed and soft shadows and no slow down at all. ran great! How I did have teh same problem at first, but I just reinstalled vid drivers and the problem went away. This doesnt work any more :(

Now ever since my reinstall nothing I do can get FPS over 15.

Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Xenozx
10-13-06, 09:34 PM
Oh and just to note, right now I can play ANY other game liek UT 2004 and get 300+ FPS in single player mode. This is the only game it seems to effect?

MustangSVT
10-13-06, 09:43 PM
Maybe you're trying to run some weird setting like Soft Shadows on and/or AA with that or something like that. Otherwise, I don't know what the problem is.

Xenozx
10-13-06, 09:52 PM
This was ran w/ soft shadows off.

1280x960

4xaa 8xaf

everything else set as high as possible.

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore.JPG

Even if I lower the settings they come out pretty much the same give or take 1 fps.

SLippe
10-13-06, 11:41 PM
Wow, that's odd. I have no clue.

Redeemed
10-14-06, 06:00 AM
I just got my copy of FEAR yesterday. It is playing just fine for me at these settings:

1600x1200
2xAA
16xAF
vsync disabled
soft shadows on
And all other options maxed

My rig:

A64 3400 (2.4Ghz)
Epox 8NPA SLi
2GB DDR500
2x7600GTs w/91.33

I haven't done any sort of wierd optimizations or anything. So, if I'm playing FEAR with the frames almost perfectly smooth- you should be as well.

Do you have a different card you could try in you rig that could run FEAR? Maybe an old 6800 series, or a previous 7 series you had before that GX2?

Try the game on another computer that meets the hardware requirements. See if they get better fps.

Try updating all[ of your drivers.

Make sure you have the latest edition of DX9.0c.

That is about all I can think of for now.

grey_1
10-14-06, 08:09 AM
You don't mention your sound card, if it's a creative brand, try disabling cthelper in msconfig. It's been known to cause some really screwy issues in FEAR.

newls1
10-14-06, 10:00 AM
I have NEVER HAD ANY LUCK with creative's drivers. These drivers are so damn "stuffed" with crap, that sometimes when im done installing them, I thought I bought a life time subscription to AOL:D I have an XF-i sound card, but am currently using onboard sound as the drivers seem MORE stable than anything creative will come out with.

K-1
10-15-06, 03:39 AM
I just got my copy of FEAR yesterday. It is playing just fine for me at these settings:

1600x1200
2xAA
16xAF
vsync disabled
soft shadows on
And all other options maxed

Just FYI, you can't run soft shadows and AA at the same time, if you try I believe it just defaults to soft shadows off.

grey_1
10-15-06, 07:14 AM
Just FYI, you can't run soft shadows and AA at the same time, if you try I believe it just defaults to soft shadows off.
True, been a game bug since launch.

jAkUp
10-15-06, 02:13 PM
I have NEVER HAD ANY LUCK with creative's drivers. These drivers are so damn "stuffed" with crap, that sometimes when im done installing them, I thought I bought a life time subscription to AOL:D I have an XF-i sound card, but am currently using onboard sound as the drivers seem MORE stable than anything creative will come out with.

Thats why you shouldn't install the drivers off the CD :) Download the drivers from Creatives site. They include drivers, and drivers only.

Xenozx
10-15-06, 11:44 PM
Disabled CThelper via MSCONFIG.

Still same problems. reinstalled FEAR again using a friends CD and downloading the 1.07 patch from a different place and still a no go.

Even on default settings (like 800x600) I get 11 FPS on the opening movie for the publisher or what ever, and 15 FPS in the menu's. Usually both these where in the tripple digits.

Well this really sucks balls :(

heres to a new Nvida droping that might fix this :(

fatal1ty
10-16-06, 12:01 AM
heres to a new Nvida droping that might fix this :(

I seriously doubt it's an NV issue....

Xenozx
10-16-06, 12:17 AM
I seriously doubt it's an NV issue....

Then why did reinstalling my Nvidia drivers in the past fix the issue?

Oh I even shut off 1 of the cards, and went single card only and I get the same exact FPS.

Xenozx
10-16-06, 04:02 AM
OK looks like I finally figured it out :D

Well I reinstalled. This time I left it @ v1.0 and then went in. Opening video and everything super smooth. Ran the test thing @

1280x960
everything set to Max
4xaa 16x af

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore1.JPG

Redeemed
10-16-06, 04:42 AM

Really? I'll have to check it out.

Before I played the game, I downloaded the update. Not sure if that fixed the problem.

I could swear soft shadows were enabled. They don't show up as disabled even when I have AA on.

I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing this out. :)

Redeemed
10-16-06, 05:52 AM
I just ran FEAR, and in the options menu software shadows are listed as on.

But, I did try running that benchmark with AA and softshadows, and then without AA and softshadows. Didn't seem like there was much of a performance nor visible difference.

I'll look into it more a bit later. It's late, and my day *might* start rather early. So I gots to be off to bed.

I'll post back when I find some more info on it.

Xion X2
10-16-06, 11:26 AM

Actually, you can, but you have to enable the AA on your graphics utility and disable in-game AA / enable soft-shadows. You'll get black splotches all over your screen when doing this, tho, but the game will act as if SS are enabled.

The soft-shadows option won't show as "OFF" when running in-game AA, but it doesn't work regardless. Soft-shadows are only enabled when not running in-game AA. As I said above, you can enable soft-shadows in-game, disable in-game AA, enable AA on your graphics utility, and get some really screwy looking shadow effects (show up as black splotches all over the screen). The only way to truly get the soft-shadow effect on FEAR is to disable ALL AA options. That's the only way. FEAR's soft-shadows aren't compatible with any form of AA.

Xion X2
10-16-06, 11:31 AM
OK looks like I finally figured it out :D

Well I reinstalled. This time I left it @ v1.0 and then went in. Opening video and everything super smooth. Ran the test thing @

1280x960
everything set to Max
4xaa 16x af

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore1.JPG

Your scores are quite good. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. I think I average around 62-64 FPS at that resolution on my setup.

Xenozx
10-16-06, 02:35 PM
And what if you go back to 1.07?

dunno, havent tried going back yet. I am going to try to upgrade to 1.05 and then from there to 1.06 and see how that goes. I will update as I progress. See if I can find exactly where it is breaking down.

Xenozx
10-16-06, 10:48 PM
dunno, havent tried going back yet. I am going to try to upgrade to 1.05 and then from there to 1.06 and see how that goes. I will update as I progress. See if I can find exactly where it is breaking down.

Well I managed to get it patched to 1.06 and all is fine. Performance actually increased just a tad. Forgot my video card was still at the stock clocks of 500/1200 and I usually have it at 610/1600. I will overclock it and run again and see how it goes :)

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore2.jpg

Xenozx
10-17-06, 12:17 AM
Well I managed to get it patched to 1.06 and all is fine. Performance actually increased just a tad. Forgot my video card was still at the stock clocks of 500/1200 and I usually have it at 610/1600. I will overclock it and run again and see how it goes :)

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore2.jpg

Looks like overclocking doesnt have as big of an effect in this game as I thought it would :(

http://www.xenozx.com/images/fearscore3.jpg

Just gonna stick w/ the 1.06 patch and then when done play fear extraction point. have to beat this one first :)

candle_86
10-17-06, 02:07 AM
Thats why you shouldn't install the drivers off the CD :) Download the drivers from Creatives site. They include drivers, and drivers only.

word, i didnt use the drivers on my Live CD, then agian they dont work with XP

SLippe
10-17-06, 07:24 AM
Well, I just installed FEAR for the first time since having my 7900GT CO SC and holy moly! Wow! I'm stoked! I patched it to 1.07. Anyways, here is my benchmark;

Everything set to maximum, 4xAA, 16xAF, 1280x960 (in game) and everything set to max in nvcpl except VS is off and 4xAA, but all else is On or Enabled.
http://www.slippe.com/images/misc/fear_1.07_maxed.jpg

EDIT: Soft shadows are off.

tweaked
10-18-06, 01:39 AM
you use Xfire?

FEAR and xfire have problems playing nicely.