PDA

View Full Version : Asus exposes Nvidia physics card product!

Pages : [1] 2

Digital_Trans
10-14-06, 12:07 AM
Nvidia is developing a standalone games physics processing card, motherboard maker Asus has let slip. Announcing a new mobo equipped with three PCI Express x16 slots. Does anyone else have any news on this besides me?

Link: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09/21/asus_spills_nvidia_beans/

retsam
10-14-06, 12:32 AM
I've been hearing))))) talk about Nvidia coming out with their own physics cards.
Are they referring to the Ageia PhysX Physics Card that BFG and ASUS currently offer or is Nvidia really making their own physics card
for hardcore gamers? I'm fully aware of a Ageia PhysX Physics Card which is a 16X PCI-Express card. At any rate, it's not going to be any faster then a standard PCI slot 4X I think. Anyway, I'd sure like to know more if this holds true! :D
Link: http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4386
the physics engine is supposed to be embeded in each card.

Digital_Trans
10-14-06, 12:36 AM

So what your saying is NVIDIA will intergrate the physics feature into their graphics cards such as the G80? :D
If so, looks like there will be no reason to buy the BFG/Asus - Ageia PhysX Physics Card. I hope that's what you were meaning.

Bman212121
10-14-06, 01:00 AM

That's what I remember seeing leaked a little while ago on another post.

Dazz
10-14-06, 03:37 AM
This is old news as this broad has been on preorder for over 2 months

jolle
10-14-06, 03:49 AM
I still belive its intended for graphics cards, to run dedicated to physics..
Like ATis 2+1 thing..
Or that someone perhaps will release a graphics board with less and a bit slower RAM, midrange GPU and no vga or dvi outputs, and call it a Physics board.

CaptNKILL
10-14-06, 05:08 AM
This is probably another part of Nvidia's big announcement on November 8th at Geforce LAN.

K007
10-14-06, 05:36 AM
Wasen't it something like...2 cards in SLI 1 for rendering and 1 for the physics?

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 08:25 AM
Ageia just got owned.

JamesDax
10-14-06, 08:38 AM
Ageia just got owned.

Didn't take long for that moronic response to show up. :thumbdwn:

lee63
10-14-06, 08:46 AM
This is old news as this broad has been on preorder for over 2 monthsI got mine :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill:

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 09:14 AM
Didn't take long for that moronic response to show up. :thumbdwn:

Speak for yourself.

JamesDax
10-14-06, 09:19 AM
Speak for yourself.

Really? Well perhaps you'd like to elaborate on how Ageia got owned. If you can't the just STFU moron.

jAkUp
10-14-06, 09:32 AM
Yea I can't see how Ageia got "owned" by this news. But Asus in no way, shape or form ever said that Nvidia is developing a "stand alone" card. They just mentioned that there is now an extra slot for a GPU to run Havok FX.

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 10:43 AM
Has no-one ever saw the video of the NVIDIA GPU rendering physics? No? Well consider it this way:

NVIDIA a multi-million dollar corporation, a known name, developing a card capable of physics along with your graphics.

Ageia a company, not well known, who comes out with a physics card and is barely supported by games.

Havok FX, runs on a CPU perfectly and beutifully.

Havok is the way to go. No extra card needed, although I'm sure alot of people would rather buy a card from a more well-known company such as NVIDIA.

Really? Well perhaps you'd like to elaborate on how Ageia got owned. If you can't the just STFU moron.

Was there any need for flaming you brainless baboon.

jolle
10-14-06, 11:00 AM
Havok FX, runs on a CPU perfectly and beutifully.

Havok is the way to go. No extra card needed, although I'm sure alot of people would rather buy a card from a more well-known company such as NVIDIA.
I thought the PhysX API (Novodex physics engine) could run software aswell.

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 11:18 AM
I thought the PhysX API (Novodex physics engine) could run software aswell.

Whats the point when your CPU can do it.

jolle
10-14-06, 11:29 AM
Whats the point when your CPU can do it.
Software as in the CPU doing it..
So devs can use it and create a "non PPU" mode aswell.. without a extra physics engine..
Not sure if it can, but I thought so.

toby77jo
10-14-06, 11:39 AM
I have heard rumors that you can use any Nvidia graphic card pretty much to run on the 3rd slot to compute the physics, they are supposed to cooperate with Havok and they will release come kind of driver that run havok fx accalerated on the gpu, somehting similar to what they do know to accalerate dvd/hd with purevideo. Maybe they will call it purephysics? who knows, soon we will know!

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 08:30 PM
I have heard rumors that you can use any Nvidia graphic card pretty much to run on the 3rd slot to compute the physics, they are supposed to cooperate with Havok and they will release come kind of driver that run havok fx accalerated on the gpu, somehting similar to what they do know to accalerate dvd/hd with purevideo. Maybe they will call it purephysics? who knows, soon we will know!

There has already been a video of an NVIDIA GPU, rendering physics and graphics at the same time.

So I don't see the need for a physics card, especially when we have multi-core CPU's on their way out, why not dedicate one CPU to Physics?

jAkUp
10-14-06, 10:41 PM
There has already been a video of an NVIDIA GPU, rendering physics and graphics at the same time.

So I don't see the need for a physics card, especially when we have multi-core CPU's on their way out, why not dedicate one CPU to Physics?

Because CPU's are very generalized.

You will never get real time fluid dynamics, or cloth simulations with high precision on a CPU. Also check out this real time deformation video of what is capable on Ageia cards:
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjE4NDcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=

Unfortunately for Ageia, to be successful you not only need to have a nice piece of hardware, you also need something to use it in, and thus far, Ageia has failed at bringing a vast amount of game titles to use Ageia technology. I still have hope for the Ageia technology, but they really need to get more developers on board. UT2007's recent delay did not help this.

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 10:50 PM
Okay, after watching a few videos of PhysX on YouTube, I must admit it's pretty impressive, but why not just have an instruction set on the CPU for physics :p?

I still believe physics such as the PhysX card is capable on a CPU.

If not, NVIDIA will rule the physics market with an onboard Physics processor.

yehuda
10-14-06, 11:22 PM
This post is an interesting read: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102304

Redeemed
10-15-06, 12:03 AM
Okay, after watching a few videos of PhysX on YouTube, I must admit it's pretty impressive, but why not just have an instruction set on the CPU for physics :p?

I still believe physics such as the PhysX card is capable on a CPU.

If not, NVIDIA will rule the physics market with an onboard Physics processor.

You obviously have no idea how physics works. By the time a CPU can do physics as well as PhysX, the GPU will become obsolete as well.

And we all know that isn't happening anytime super soon.

DataMatrix
10-15-06, 10:00 AM
This post is an interesting read: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102304

Ah, I see, thanks for the read.