PDA

View Full Version : 20pin atx PSU conector ->24pin atx M/b?

Nv40
10-14-06, 12:24 PM
i have an ANtec true blue 480 watts Powersupply.. ,

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=20481

it have an ATX conector of 20 pin ,that fits perfectly in my previous agp motherboards. but now i have a new PCI express motherboard ,that its ATX conector have 4 more pins.

So when i connect my PSU to the motherboard ,4 pins remains empty in one side.

here is the motherboard (core2) i have.. and its 24pin atx connector.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=21094&stc=1&d=1160847208

what is weird is that it looks that fits perfectly in the 24pin conector,albeit leaving empty four female in one end . my PSU also comes with a smaller ATX_12v conector.. i was asking just in case i wasnt doing a terrible mistake that could burn my motherboard. perhaps i need a diferent PSU ?

Im have some experience as technician ,but never with PCIxpress motherboards.. any help ?

BashfulTux
10-14-06, 01:20 PM
That is the way it is supposed to work the older 20pin will fit into the newer 24pin and work. Just to be safe with mine though I bought a 20to24 pin converter on Ebay to go from power supply to motherboard it works well. Just don't try to plug/force the separate 4 pin one into the main connector it still goes into the little 4 pin connector in the upper right of your board.

JoKeRr
10-14-06, 03:49 PM
I'm also wondering the same thing, cause I plan to upgrade my rig in a year or so, and I don't want to spend another 100 bux on a new PSU. I have an older version of Enermax noisetaker 475W, it's got 20pin, 4 pin p4 and 4 pin for AGP graphics card connector. If i use a 20pin to 24pin, and a PCIE graphics 6pin adapter, will that be alright? Will it hinder my OC in anyway??

DataMatrix
10-14-06, 08:33 PM
I had this problem at first with my Tagan i-Xeye PSU, after alot of fretting I realised it had a little 4 plug thing attached to the 20pin lead, which you can slot on, to create a 24pin lead, there must be some way of doing this if you haven't already got one.

Daneel Olivaw
10-15-06, 06:42 PM
Do not use adapters! A 20pin psu will work perfectly fine (if good quality like an Antec) in a 24 pin mobo. Only if you had 2 pci-e16 slots filled with graphics cards might you have a problem. And then, only real solution will be to upgrade to 24pin psu for real.

I have read many threads with good information explaining how adapters would create uneeded duplicate loads on the 12v rail.

I had a 7600gt run on a 20pin psu stable and overclocked well. (430W antec)

JoKeRr
10-16-06, 01:21 AM
Do not use adapters! A 20pin psu will work perfectly fine (if good quality like an Antec) in a 24 pin mobo. Only if you had 2 pci-e16 slots filled with graphics cards might you have a problem. And then, only real solution will be to upgrade to 24pin psu for real.

I have read many threads with good information explaining how adapters would create uneeded duplicate loads on the 12v rail.

can you explain a bit more on that adapter thing?? why is it soo bad??

crainger
10-16-06, 01:35 AM

I have heard this elsewhere too. Will try to dig up a few examples. I recommend trying it without the adapter. You'll find the system should run fine. If you find it's unstable, you might be better off getting a whole new PSU rather than messing with adapters.

BashfulTux
10-16-06, 01:47 AM
can you explain a bit more on that adapter thing?? why is it soo bad??

It is not that it is so bad as in a 24pin power supply there are separate 12v power rails most/all? 20pin power supplies only have a single 12v power rail. Now depending on how many amps the single 12v rail can deliver (as the 24 pin converter splits this across what should be the second rail powering on 24pin MB) you can run into problems if you have a lot of parts in the machine drawing too much power at once overloading/burning out the power supply. You might want to look at this guide (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp) to see what is recommended for the parts. Enermax is a good brand and would definitely have a good amp rating on the +12v. I know mine has a 26a 465w total and the calculator only said something like ~380w using the 50% aging of the power supply.